• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Save Tour MO Twitter

May 14, 2009
Visit site
According to an article posted on the web by the St.Louis Post Dispatch(stltoday.com) Jul 11,2009 Lance Armstrong & Astana plus Hincapie & Vandevelde took the time to Twitter in support of the race. Astana is one of the teams that will be present as well as Garmin & Columbia. I am excited they took the time out of there busy schedule to care about American cycling. If the pros think it is important enough to support even while they are in Europe during the biggest cycling event of the year then please please please contact Gov Nixon in support of keeping the Tour of Missouri (http://governor.mo.gov/contact/). Also check out the Tour of Missouri's website. Thanks to those that viewed my other post. I also read another post regarding support to bring back the Tour De Georgia. I think being able to have competitions on a European level in our own back yards is incredible and gives us normal folks that can't afford a trip to Europe a chance to see something special. It also educates noncyclists that there is more to life than football & baseball:) Thanks again for the support-Gail

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
gwessel2 said:
According to an article posted on the web by the St.Louis Post Dispatch(stltoday.com) Jul 11,2009 Lance Armstrong & Astana plus Hincapie & Vandevelde took the time to Twitter in support of the race. Astana is one of the teams that will be present as well as Garmin & Columbia. I am excited they took the time out of there busy schedule to care about American cycling. If the pros think it is important enough to support even while they are in Europe during the biggest cycling event of the year then please please please contact Gov Nixon in support of keeping the Tour of Missouri (http://governor.mo.gov/contact/). Also check out the Tour of Missouri's website. Thanks to those that viewed my other post. I also read another post regarding support to bring back the Tour De Georgia. I think being able to have competitions on a European level in our own back yards is incredible and gives us normal folks that can't afford a trip to Europe a chance to see something special. It also educates noncyclists that there is more to life than football & baseball:) Thanks again for the support-Gail

Mo. governor says Tour of Missouri race to go on

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP)—Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says the 2009 Tour of Missouri should go on.

Nixon announced Tuesday that $1.5 million in state funds can be spent on the September race.

The Democrat’s administration had blocked the money last week and was considering eliminating it altogether. Race organizers said cutting the money would have forced the race’s cancellation.

Nixon says he believes the Tour of Missouri should go forward. He’s allowing the $1.5 million to be spent after tourism and race officials agreed to share spending details with his administration.

About 15 professional teams are expected to participate in one of the few highly rated professional bicycle races outside Europe, including the Astana team for which Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador ride.