• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Savio and Rujano

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
This article is hilarious:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/savio-credits-androni-atmosphere-for-rujano-renaissance

Rider rides spectacularly well when riding for peloton's dirtiest team. Rides like he's wearing lead shorts on every other team.

I'm sure the journalist is making a joke here too....

"what's the magic formula on the Androni team?"

"Androni Atmosphere" must also mean something chemical.....

"I'm a good psychologist" - yep he gets average guys riding faster than the best riders in the world immediately prior to, and during the Giro. After all everyone knows that having an inspirational manager from a football background adds 100 watts to your FTP.

Well, if he is doping now he probably was doping when he failed in those other European teams, so something else had to change. So maybe atmosphere was key probably to a better performance. Maybe they have a more structured program than in the other teams. Speculating here.

Atmosphere IS a key factor for Rujano, who is a notoriously difficult guy to motivate. His bad 2008 was mostly due to a case of mono. His 2010 results were pretty good until ISD weren't invited to the Giro, then they fell off the edge of the earth until he returned to South America.

Besides, Miche are surely the péloton's dodgiest team now?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Atmosphere IS a key factor for Rujano, who is a notoriously difficult guy to motivate. His bad 2008 was mostly due to a case of mono. His 2010 results were pretty good until ISD weren't invited to the Giro, then they fell off the edge of the earth until he returned to South America.

Some of those smaller Italian pro teams crack me up. Andronis team of pint sized climbers rode the sh*t out of a flat team TT a few weeks back, and in spring races in Italy seem to be as strong or stronger than top teams, peaking for the Giro, then going back to continental level for the remainder of the season.

Imagine if non PT French squads got an invite to a major French stage race - they would suck. But in the Giro equivalent Italian teams with dodgy riders and managers are always very strong.

Libertine Seguros said:

There is some tough competition for that title: HGH, Astana, Cack, Saxo, BMC are all major contenders -

It's just the smaller teams don't have enough of a budget for the best programmes so they get busted most often.

There needs to be some kind of ranking criteria. Perhaps how many failed tests, number of busted riders on a comeback, DS's reputation, and factoring in the budget.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Some of those smaller Italian pro teams crack me up. Andronis team of pint sized climbers rode the sh*t out of a flat team TT a few weeks back, and in spring races in Italy seem to be as strong or stronger than top teams, peaking for the Giro, then going back to continental level for the remainder of the season.

You know that sometimes the smaller climbers like Rujano can actually do a good TT naturally dont you? This is a formal Individual Pursuit rider we're talking about, with great power/weight ratio's, and naturally good aerodynamics through his size.

And a small Italian team targeting the early season italian races with a eye on the Giro? Well, that's a shocker innit?

Jesus christ...

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Imagine if non PT French squads got an invite to a major French stage race - they would suck. But in the Giro equivalent Italian teams with dodgy riders and managers are always very strong.

One easy way to imagine that would be to rewatch the Tour, where Bouygues Telecom won two stages and the KOM jersey.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
So 2 stages and KoM now compare to Rujano and Scarponi finishing 3rd and 4th on GC

Not the same as Scarponi's 2010 result or Rujano's in 2005, but that's not sucking either, for the Tour. Nor is it right to say that Italian Pro Conti teams always do well at the Giro.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Met de Versnelling said:
You know that sometimes the smaller climbers like Rujano can actually do a good TT naturally dont you? This is a formal Individual Pursuit rider we're talking about, with great power/weight ratio's, and naturally good aerodynamics through his size.

And a small Italian team targeting the early season italian races with a eye on the Giro? Well, that's a shocker innit?

Jesus christ...

Ignoring the fact that an ex rider of Savio is claiming he was forced to dope by Savio himself, and before the Weylandt tragedy another rider was going to back him up.

power - weight ratio seems to mean less in a short flat TT - and if you read my post you'll see I was talking about a team TT.

When a team of 60kilo climbers beat rouleur squads on a flat team TT, and that team has doping accusations being levelled at them, and they always seem to be on an extra 25% prior to and during the giro then something doesn't add up.

This idea of "targetting" is a wel known fallacy anyway. Trying to peak for a particular goal doesn't improve your threshold power by 30% for a short time (blood doping might). The gains would be marginal. These guys on little teams who rip everyone's legs off at certain races but are off the back later in the year are highly suspicious in my mind.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Ignoring the fact that an ex rider of Savio is claiming he was forced to dope by Savio himself, and before the Weylandt tragedy another rider was going to back him up.

power - weight ratio seems to mean less in a short flat TT - and if you read my post you'll see I was talking about a team TT.

When a team of 60kilo climbers beat rouleur squads on a flat team TT, and that team has doping accusations being levelled at them, and they always seem to be on an extra 25% prior to and during the giro then something doesn't add up.

This idea of "targetting" is a wel known fallacy anyway. Trying to peak for a particular goal doesn't improve your threshold power by 30% for a short time (blood doping might). The gains would be marginal. These guys on little teams who rip everyone's legs off at certain races but are off the back later in the year are highly suspicious in my mind.

There was hardly that much time separating all the times. 15 seconds can be accounted for in a lot of places: poor relaying, someone riding too hard, poor spacing. Placing mid pack hardly a lot of suspicion.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Zweistein said:
There was hardly that much time separating all the times. 15 seconds can be accounted for in a lot of places: poor relaying, someone riding too hard, poor spacing. Placing mid pack hardly a lot of suspicion.

i was talking about the settimana internazionale coppi e bartali team tt, that they won.

and what about the GP Industria on april 30th - in the top 12 there are 6(!) Androni riders....and the race was so hard (because Androni ripped the bunch to shreds) that there were only 38 finishers.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/gp-industria-and-artigianato-larciano-1-1/results

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, whenever I saw a young super-talent move over to Caisse, I always thought: 'no way he can keep up his results now that he won't have access to any drugs'.

Get over it. Yes, cycling has a doping problem. BUT, there are still plenty of other factors that a rider needs to get right if he wants to perform at his best, too.

I am not making an apology for doping, but I am saying that you can't chalk up anything and everything to how much a rider is or isn't doping.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
i was talking about the settimana internazionale coppi e bartali team tt, that they won.

and what about the GP Industria on april 30th - in the top 12 there are 6(!) Androni riders....and the race was so hard (because Androni ripped the bunch to shreds) that there were only 38 finishers.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/gp-industria-and-artigianato-larciano-1-1/results

So they're the strongest Italian Pro Conti team. Someone has to be. There's nothing to elevate this thread above the usual "they won = they dirty". If you aggregate these threads, everyone's dirty and there's no unique advantage in being such.

Escarabajo said:
Well, if he is doping now he probably was doping when he failed in those other European teams, so something else had to change. So maybe atmosphere was key probably to a better performance. Maybe they have a more structured program than in the other teams. Speculating here.

Savio has always had a high concentration of South American riders in his team. With that comes familarity with the culture of those riders. I imagine the atmosphere is likely more relaxed for Rujano than what it was with Quick Step and Unibet. Rujano may also be motivated to make amends with Savio after his less than amicable original departure from Savio's team.

taiwan said:
Not the same as Scarponi's 2010 result or Rujano's in 2005, but that's not sucking either, for the Tour. Nor is it right to say that Italian Pro Conti teams always do well at the Giro.

Or could it be that they do well because doing well at the Giro is the primary focus of their season because.......THEY'RE ITALIAN??

As you say though, they don't always do well.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
There is also an element here of Savio taking credit for Rujano's comeback - Rujano has been (very) good for the last couple of years.

It also seems fair to say that, if Androni are as supercharged as some say, one would expect Sella to be nearer his 2008 form. There's been little sign of that so far.

TRENDING THREADS