• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SBS secures tv rights

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
On SBS we also get the bonus of a cooking segment with Gabriel Gate during the TDF....

Don't start...

I agree that it is pretty dodgy that they can put together 15 minute highlight packages. Put them on SBS 2 and people can still watch them. It's not that hard SBS.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
............Yet it is live right?????????????

"The host broadcaster for the 2010 UCI Road World Championships is Channel 10. The race will be broadcast live each day on Channel 10’s digital all-sport channel OneHD. The main races will also be shown live on Channel 10.

The same footage will be used by all the international television networks that will cover the race. The potential worldwide audience is 400 million. Based on recent world championships we anticipate an international television audience of 200 million viewers."

Source: http://www.geelongcity.vic.gov.au/2010cycling/services/services/article/8cc9a1e57758556.aspx

@boardhanger

OneHD is a new (well relatively new) sports channel in Australia. They show alot of american sports (NBA, Baseball, NFL, Nascar) and other motorsports (F1, Superbikes, Motogp etc) and some Aussie sports (AFL, Netball). This year they also have the rights to a couple of cycling events. Smaller stage races (Romandie, Suisse and also i think the new Canadian races(??)) as well as the Worlds.

IMO it is this station that is making SBS provide us with better cycling coverage as they are worried about them coming in and providing good competition for the rights to races. As now SBS are trying to get rights to show events that we have never seen before (ie. Live Vuelta) and SBS have just secured the rights for the worlds as of next year.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Unbe-****ing-lievable after promising highlights of the eneco tour on sunday morning, I just had a look at cycling central from yesterday and it was nothing but the freaking team time trial again! The entire "highlights" of the enico consisted a top 10 results against a background of a cyclists shadow..

This Cycling Central is about 3 steps back.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hoolaparara said:
Unbe-****ing-lievable after promising highlights of the eneco tour on sunday morning, I just had a look at cycling central from yesterday and it was nothing but the freaking team time trial again! The entire "highlights" of the enico consisted a top 10 results against a background of a cyclists shadow..

This Cycling Central is about 3 steps back.

I felt the same, I was very annoyed. If they had some eneco tour highlights the whole time it would of been better. Even so, cycling central should not be a highlights race package program but with some analysis of cycling news, races, issues in the sport and some grassroots stuff in there also. The sunday morning/afternoon slot should be for a 1 hr highlight program of a race(s).

gregrowlerson said:
There is good news for Australian cycling fans with SBS showing two hours live this Saturday of the Vuelta. This just happens to be stage 8, which is a MTF. I'm assuming (and hoping) that all the MTF's will be shown live. :)

If i was the person at SBS that got to choose which 8 stages to show my picks would be:

1 (TTT)
3 (good lumpy stage)
11 (MTF)
14 (MTF)
15 (MTF)
16 (MTF)
17 or 18 (whichever is the TT can't remember)
20 (Last MTF could be decisive)

It would mainly be the MTFs because this race is really open. ie. no outright red hot favourite. If AC was here i might have mixed the stages up a bit more but since he is not. Lots of MTFs

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
There is good news for Australian cycling fans with SBS showing two hours live this Saturday of the Vuelta. This just happens to be stage 8, which is a MTF. I'm assuming (and hoping) that all the MTF's will be shown live. :)

Personally, as someone who started out watching with 30 minutes cycling programming. To nowadays with total stage live coverage. I reckon 2 hours maybe 2 1/2 hours is enough airtime to have cycling on. I mean 5 or 6 hours worth of airtime can be overkill. And depending upon where you live alot of it is commercials. (I'm pointing at you USA !!) I supplement that with streaming Eurosport on Steephill TV with way less and better comercials and commentating. And the style of racing in GTs nowadays usually leaves the racing till the last hour. 1 day racing not so much.

boardhanger said:
Personally, as someone who started out watching with 30 minutes cycling programming. To nowadays with total stage live coverage. I reckon 2 hours maybe 2 1/2 hours is enough airtime to have cycling on. I mean 5 or 6 hours worth of airtime can be overkill. And depending upon where you live alot of it is commercials. (I'm pointing at you USA !!) I supplement that with streaming Eurosport on Steephill TV with way less and better comercials and commentating. And the style of racing in GTs nowadays usually leaves the racing till the last hour. 1 day racing not so much.

BoardHanger If you are after races and have a good sized internet plan, check out http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl Awesome site to get all the racing you want.

I do agree with you though about most of the action happening in the last hour or so. So sometimes it can be a bit of overkill on a single stage. 1 day racing as you say can be different. SBS are actually quite good with commercials. Nowhere near as much as versus. You can really call it cycling. It is more like commercials interrupted by cycling

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
BoardHanger If you are after races and have a good sized internet plan, check out http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl Awesome site to get all the racing you want.

I do agree with you though about most of the action happening in the last hour or so. So sometimes it can be a bit of overkill on a single stage. 1 day racing as you say can be different. SBS are actually quite good with commercials. Nowhere near as much as versus. You can really call it cycling. It is more like commercials interrupted by cycling

Thanks for the heads up on cyclingtorrents.nl off to check it out ;)

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
So SBS continue the bipolar/hot & cold nature of their coverage. After doing away with daily updates of the vuelta but adding live coverage. Compressing their 30/60 minute race highlights packages into at most one hour a week, they've now decided to show an hour highlights daily of the tour of Britain!

At 7:30pm no less sure its on SBS 2 but could be any less random in their choices of what cycling coverage to have? I can understand California being the ASO have their hands on it now and it probably came cheap as part of the package, but Britain? not even an interesting race either.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hoolaparara said:
So SBS continue the bipolar/hot & cold nature of their coverage. After doing away with daily updates of the vuelta but adding live coverage. Compressing their 30/60 minute race highlights packages into at most one hour a week, they've now decided to show an hour highlights daily of the tour of Britain!

At 7:30pm no less sure its on SBS 2 but could be any less random in their choices of what cycling coverage to have? I can understand California being the ASO have their hands on it now and it probably came cheap as part of the package, but Britain? not even an interesting race either.

I agree, SBS don't have a fricken clue. They are so stupid that they put weekly highlights of events now on Cycling central instead of 11am/12pm slot on Sun and the races of which they show highlights of are f grade events or la vuelta. i would rather more analysis of world cycling such as talking about races as a whole, transfers and general news in world cycling.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I blinked at a bad time and missed the vuelta highlights of the 5 stages they can't be arsed showing. Still at least we are getting an hour of each stage of the Tour of Britain that will be great won't it? won't it?