• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Scan every inch of every cyclists body for needle marks before each stage

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
A new procedure should be put in place at high profile races that I care about. Have teams of qualified folks to give each rider a full body scan, for needle marks. If they are micro dosing, surely they must have some highly visible needle marks? Check their arms, check their legs, check in between their toes, everywhere!! And please video tape it as the "pre-game" show before each TdF stage... oh and swab suspect areas with alcohol pads to remove any coverup cream.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
i was wondering about this earlier. why don't pro cyclists get track marks like you see on meth or heroin addicts? anyone have any insight into this? i'm really curious. is it that typical doping practices don't require as many injections as say, supporting a meth addiction? it seems like there would at least be some scarring, and thus, evidence.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
The needles supplied with ie. Recormon are 27 or 30G - unless you hit a vessel while injecting, no needle marks are usually visible from these ultra fine needles. You could probably even go for a 32G needle if you were really picky. Add careful injection in skin creases or add a little foundation pre-inspection and you''re home free.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Do they also test themselves during races? That seems pretty hard to me..

I'm not sure what they do.

I have a constant glucose monitor on my insulin pump. I test before I ride to calibrate, then it keeps track of where my blood sugar is.

Checking the number requires some fumbling through pockets and such, but I imagine real cyclists as opposed to someone like me have better ways to handle it.

The idea of injections is a bit of a joke too... I'm willing to bet they all have insulin pumps at this point.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Martinello said:
The needles supplied with ie. Recormon are 27 or 30G - unless you hit a vessel while injecting, no needle marks are usually visible from these ultra fine needles. You could probably even go for a 32G needle if you were really picky. Add careful injection in skin creases or add a little foundation pre-inspection and you''re home free.

Works for micro-dosing of EPO but transfusions take a slightly larger gauge.:D

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't it rumored that all of those Telekom/T-Mobile arm tattoos (usually of a devil or some other such poetic iconograph) were meant to hide needle bruises?

A

Anonymous

ergmonkey said:
Wasn't it rumored that all of those Telekom/T-Mobile arm tattoos (usually of a devil or some other such poetic iconograph) were meant to hide needle bruises?

pozzatos got plenty of options then. :confused:

as for the original op.. one of the stupidest ideas i have ever heard (so expect the uci to take it on board)

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
A new procedure should be put in place at high profile races that I care about. Have teams of qualified folks to give each rider a full body scan, for needle marks. If they are micro dosing, surely they must have some highly visible needle marks? Check their arms, check their legs, check in between their toes, everywhere!! And please video tape it as the "pre-game" show before each TdF stage... oh and swab suspect areas with alcohol pads to remove any coverup cream.

That gunna be one hella long pre-game show :D

TRENDING THREADS