• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schlanger n Gogulski - Plouay

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not someone who pays a whole lot of attention to announcers. Having grown up in New England in the 80's and 90's, where "coverage" consisted of getting 2-month old copies of Winning, I also don't pay a whole lot of attention to the announcer-bashing that goes on occasionally here in the Forum. Beggars can't be choosers.

All of that stated, I was struck this morning catching up on Plouay to actually be drawn in by SchlaGogo, who seem to have hit their stride. Schlanger appears to have come way up to speed from his rough beginnings, and Gogo is a lot less tentative about sharing his insights as a former pro. I also noticed (whether it was set up or not), Schlanger asking Gogo some relatively insightful questions that enabled Gogo to expound appropriately. In particular, it was the exchange regarding World's prep (vuelta vs. lottery-style one-day racing) that prompted my post.

I guess I woke up on the right side of the bed this morning, thought I'd share a positive vibe. I understand they have their critics, but chapeau on their improvement as a duo.

Is this the couple from Universal that said in Pais Vasco that Quintana came out of nowhere?
Are they the same that answered yesterday a tweeter on Betancur saying that he had high hopes in this Vuelta?
Sure, they are totally disconnected from cycling news, performances.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Oi vey. Standing by my OP. I was giving them kudos for improvement, not proclaiming them the de facto gods of announcing.

I hope they continue the upward trend. The level of dialogue in Plouay was the right mix of "informing the newbie" (without completely dumbing it down to the annoyance of people who have been racing 25 years) and race coverage, IMO.

I grimaced re: Pais Vasco as well, especially regarding the unfortunate diversion into doping talk. BUT AGAIN, I'm always happy to see the level of quality IMPROVE, rather than get worse. My simple point.

They owe Quintana a public apology for their ignorant statements. Until they do so anything they do or say on the air is overshadowed by their unprecedented degradation of a rider immediately after the biggest success of that rider's career. It was nothing short of on-air character assassination.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
They owe Quintana a public apology for their ignorant statements. Until they do so anything they do or say on the air is overshadowed by their unprecedented degradation of a rider immediately after the biggest success of that rider's career. It was nothing short of on-air character assassination.

Exactly this, +100. And until they do admit the mistake they made and apologize for it, I can't take much of anything they say seriously.

TRENDING THREADS