• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

schleck got to have the weakest climbing team in this tour

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Saxo was useless..

All Saxo's mountain guys were there after the last of Leopard's helpers got dropped. They were talking, Contador said he didn't feel well and so they faded. But if Contador would have been in a good shape, they probably could have blown the race apart. That one little dig one of Saxo's guys did, did more damage than 40 kilometers of Voigt.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
and that's what I mean with they got exposed. they have serous problems in the mountains, only evans support was even worse

They certainly were disappointing, especially Fuglsang, our great danish hope. But tomorrow may be a whole other story.

rides like a girl said:
LeOpard team pacing made Phil and Paul disagree and say anti LT things. I had the TV on while I was getting ready for work. One of them, can't recall exactly which one, stated how strong LT were, named all 7 in the leadout. Camera goes else where, as it comes back, Fabian is already off drifting back. The rapid manner they went thru their mountain guys while not dropping that many other people they were pacing caused the other announcer to disagree and actually say something nice about the mountain teammates of AC. I think an expression used was that LT used quite a few matches, implying they did all that work with little result.

I can't say for sure as I attempted to watch that last 20 k on the train on my way to work, only tonhave my headphones fail and the feed fail. Had to read the last 10k.

Your recollection is correct. There was a disruption in the Leopard force on the Versus panel.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I bet Andy Schleck was ****ed when Contador or the other GT pretenders didn't react on Frank's attack haha :p

Did you guys see Andy's finish by the way? Could barely make it over the finish line and almost fell of his bike.

2wheels said:
The first mountain stage always finds a few guys with blocked up legs, and that's what Fuglsang said was his problem today. Same thing seemed to happen to Tony Martin and some other GC guys. But it's just plain dumb to call this team weak in mountains. Voigt was all they needed today--2/3 of the Tourmalet and the start of Luz Ardiden is a heck of a pull for one guy. He may be riding into some scary form himself-- and that can only mean pain for the peloton.

Voigt while strong, is not going to strike fear into any of the contenders or their teams. He can ride a punishing tempo for a period of time but I don't think he can be compared to the job that Szmyd did. When Basso and Szmyd had their brief dialogue and Szmyd took over the tempo for the Leopard troops, that is when the real selection was made.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Voigt while strong, is not going to strike fear into any of the contenders or their teams. He can ride a punishing tempo for a period of time but I don't think he can be compared to the job that Szmyd did. When Basso and Szmyd had their brief dialogue and Szmyd took over the tempo for the Leopard troops, that is when the real selection was made.

exactly

it was a group tempo ride for the most part.

if Leotard is going to go that early let them burn.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Maybe not the weakest but certainly the stupidest.

winner winner chicken dinner.
they are riding like fools.

Burning their candles wayyy toooo early.

They needed to make this stage hard.
Andy was clearly the strongest of the top tier guys, but the pace wasn't there.

I can't imagine them having many men left on stage 18.
Stage 19 might be the only stage they can take advantage of with this tactics.

Whose team is stronger then, climbing wise? OPL and Shack if they hadn't lost some of their best men maybe? But those are what-ifs. No team riding in their current composition is better I warrant.

Although I agree they're hardly being efficient with their men.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I love it how yesterday when Voigt was doing his "super pull" up the Aubisque that he dropped the next guy in line for the pull, Gerdemann, before he could even take a turn at the front. And then all of a sudden, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, but Fuglsgang no-showed too.

And then again today, Voigt and Gerdemann enter the breakaway to be the valued lieutenants later on. When the peloton reaches Voigt, he pulls the peloton all the way up to Gerdemann... AFTER his two crashes!! Voigt pulls off knackered, and then next thing you see is Monfort or Fugslgang pulling - Gerdemann nothing again!

I think Giacomo Nizzolo could do a better job than Linus.