• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schleck: Three Grand tours not Possible?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Did you just start following cycling? You might want to edit your post, just sayin'

That was probably a typo based on the fact that 2 or 3 lines later he indicates that Contador winning 2 grand tours in one year again would be an accomplishment.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
sagard said:
I would be really impressed if Contador tried winning two Grand Tours in season again. I really don't think it will happen due to his commitment to leTour. In '08 he probably wouldn't have raced in either the Giro or the Vuelta had he (his team) been eligible for the Tour.

Well you should be already cuz he is going to try it again next year...!

JohnNordin said:
Oh dear,
I misread the Tour/Giro double list as being 'all possible doubles.' That's all.

For those of you who have followed cycling, has anyone won a stage in each of the three GT's in a year? No fair looking it up.

Alejet ALL THE WAY!!!!

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Well you should be already cuz he is going to try it again next year...!

You have more confidence that I do that he will try to win the Giro. :)

I am impressed with AC. He is smart, strong and a competitive SOB. Simply by starting the Giro he will impress me, if he actually tries to win it will no doubt be the most fun Grand Tour again for the bazillionth time in a row.

I expect due to sponsorship responsibilities he will always be his strongest at the Tour.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
sagard said:
You have more confidence that I do that he will try to win the Giro. :)

I am impressed with AC. He is smart, strong and a competitive SOB. Simply by starting the Giro he will impress me, if he actually tries to win it will no doubt be the most fun Grand Tour again for the bazillionth time in a row.

I expect due to sponsorship responsibilities he will always be his strongest at the Tour.

Well I don't know if he will try Il Giro, he said several times this year that he would like to be in the next year's Giro... but as a Tour Champion he will defend his title and this will be his first option... so the double would be Tour - Vuelta for sure... and after that I think that he would try Giro - Tour cuz he wants to emulate Il Pirata... I read that long time ago...

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Ale Jet won 6 Giro Stages, 4 Tour Stages and 5 Vuelta Stages in 2003!
He was of the time on Stage 18 of the Giro, DNF on Stage 7 of the Tdf and came in 120th in the Vuelta.
I dont know of any other rider.

I, of course, totally had to look it up, but Wikipedia says
Migeul Poblet 1956
Pierino Baffi 1958
and
Alessandro Petacchi 2003

That is a shorter list than I would have guessed.

So, the little baby cries again, huh? Does this man do anything then whines and speaks about things he doesn´t know.

Given that he just race for one obstacle a year, and yet lose, he should shut about preparation and possibilities.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
No_Balls said:
So, the little baby cries again, huh? Does this man do anything then whines and speaks about things he doesn´t know.

Given that he just race for one obstacle a year, and yet lose, he should shut about preparation and possibilities.

I'm curious, did Schleck kick you dog or something? :confused:

No_Balls said:

You have an interesting, if not completely sane, concept of "crying."

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
I'll just assume that Merckx will be the rider to compare palmares to.

Contador has done the Giro-Vuelta same-year victory salute once. Exactly the same as Merckx. But Merckx only entered the Vuelta ONCE in his whole career. He did not ride the Tour that year (1973*).

BUT, Merckx won the Giro-Tour double THREE times: 1970, 1972, 1974. In the nice little chart I used as a reference, it also becomes instantly apparent that Merckx could have won 6, and perhaps 7 Tours, had he been entered in them and focused his career on Le Tour. Eight would have been very doubtful, as he did try to win in '75, but was unsuccessful.

*Source data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Career_accomplishments_of_Eddy_Merckx

He wasn't invited in the 1973 Tour, there was nothing he could do.

TRENDING THREADS