• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schlecks Rating of tour rivals

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
haha you are a joke. Seriously your posts just make me think you watch the last vuelta/tour and have thus made your conclusions based on only this.

This is not the first time youve made this silly accusation. Funnily enough though, on the other occasions you said this, it was because i, ummjm, uh , oh yeah, i underated Gesink. what a surprise.

I gave you my opinion why i think Sanchez will beat others and you bizzarely told me that my opinion "doesnt make it true".

I think there are better climbers than Gesink out there, and that they will distance him at the 2011 tour. Shoot me:rolleyes:

But yeah, keep calling everyone else a fanboy to get your point across, you must feel like a big man now
Wow. You really took those words seriously. Everyone else seems to understand that its in jest. I didnt personally attack anyone. I didnt attack you either. I vaguely called Gesink and JVDB "fanboy favourites"

I did that because they are getting picked by people on these boards above Samuel Sanchez, who imo is a better rider, and has proved it and will prove it this year. Just like Richie Porte gets way more hype than Duarte because hes Austraian, even though the latter has way more potential, and Taylor Phinney gets more hype for the simiilar achievments as Gerraint Thomas.

So even though your attack on me was personal, i am willing to overlook it. stretch out a hand as they say, and point out that its cycling - a sport that unites, not football which divides;) so its only light banter, nothing personal and well see at the Tour who will win between Samu and the Flemish twins;)

taiwan said:
Did they even mention Sammy Sanchez?

If they did, i wouldnt have 17 posts in this thread;)

Angliru said:
Excuse me, but didn't Valverde actually slow down drastically after the final turn, looking around to wait for Szmyd who admittedly had an incident of moment induced leg lock, such was the overwhelming nature of what the two had agreed upon would transpire at the top (Szmyd's first win and of course on one of the most important climbs in the sport)?:confused:

Correct. If you look at the conversation between me and the youngest, not much in there was serious ;)

I took a decent win from Szmyd and transformed it into some almighty heroic performance. I didnt mention that it was at the Dauphine either, just said it was a tdf climb.

Kind of like chroniclers in history would claim that their guys would killl 1000 opponents each with their bare hands bla bla bla.

The Hitch said:
Correct. If you look at the conversation between me and the youngest, not much in there was serious ;)

I took a decent win from Szmyd and transformed it into some almighty heroic performance. I didnt mention that it was at the Dauphine either, just said it was a tdf climb.

Kind of like chroniclers in history would claim that their guys would killl 1000 opponents each with their bare hands bla bla bla.

My bad and in no way did I intend to imply anything negative about Szmyd, who is one of the highest quality domestics in the business. I was happy for him and found it touching that he reacted in such a way just before such a monumental win. Kudos to Valverde for allowing him to achieve his first win.
Szmyd did put in an impressive chase of Valverde prior to their riding in tandem to the summit.

The Hitch said:
Just like Richie Porte gets way more hype than Duarte because hes Austraian, even though the latter has way more potential,

Could also be because Porte's achievements were in very high profile races (Giro, San Seb, Romandie, Worlds, Eneco:eek:) that everyone actually saw with their own eyes. Duarte had a terrific season and has huge potential but we didn't get to see him near as often and he didn't race against the top riders anywhere near as much.

Sure, many of us complete cycling geeks have watched Duarte race or have delved into race results and saw that he took some impressive scalps at Asturias, but the point is that Porte is hyped more because at this point he's done more in the top races.

If Porte was Colombian, and Duarte Australian, Porte would still be getting more hype, imo (the 3 days he spent in the la maglia rosa and finishing in the top 10 in his 1st year gave him instant notoriety). Just think about how hungry we all seem to be to have some Colombians competing for the podium in the biggest races again. Granted, the disparity wouldn't be as great - after all it is an English-speaking, Aussie forum.

Yeah ok, i probably chose the wrong example with Duarte. I would have gone for Kruijswijk who according to calculations from the youngest was better than Porte in the giro mountains, and of course is younger.

But i was arguing against a dutchy so i didnt.

mmm looking at Steven on cq rankings, i think he would have been a good buy. Too bad i didnt think of him earlier. Oh well.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well im re-appearing here in the forum again... I took a LONG vacations after La Vuelta... but I cant pass this thread and news...

I can't stand those guys... they make me want to throw up everytime that I saw them... bah more than ever I want them to lose big time in Le Tour cuz they dnt ride anything else... bah... I'm a Contador's fanboy and I want him to teebag AS so hard in Le Tour putting 5min to him in the 1st climb at 4% hahahaha

Well... im a bit more calm now... sighs...

Im with you Hitch... I had tons of expectations on Samu for this year! GO SAMU!

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I like to call them *** 1 and *** 2. Not sure why they always need each other to race with because they've hardly won crap between them.

Oh, and lets's not forget that Frank Schleck admitted transferring nearly 7000 euros to a bank account held by Dr. Fuentes, but denied any doping or personal contact with Fuentes.......sure!:eek:

If AC was doping then so was AS, unless we're all to believe he's the new LA.....right.:rolleyes:

The Hitch said:
Obviously Gesink has a way better future ahead of him. Samu has a few years left at best.

But at the 2011 Tour you dont get points for having a better future ahead of you, orherwise Peter Sagan would be up there;)

All there is is the bike, and the rider and what happens there that day. Not in the future, not in the past, but THAT DAY. There and then.

He lost major time on the cobbles (not here this year) and broke his wrist on the Tourmalet stage, meaning he underperformed significantly on the Tourmalet and at the tt.

The ttt is only 20km so i think hell lose about a minute. Which is a lot better than losing 3 minutes on the cobbles ( i have no idea what happened that made him so crap there).

And its a hell of a lot better than the further minutes he lost on Tourmalet and itt. I think a conservative estimate would be to say that he lost 45 seconds on each thanks to his broken wrist.

SO even if he doesnt come in with top form and loses a minute on the ttt, thats still 4 minutes better off than last year (unless he has more misfortune of course). And hes already targeted tour podium as his only aim for the season. So forget Vuelta Pais Vasco, forget Ardennes.

And why wouldnt he be able to be as good as last year. Hes not like Wiggins, coming 4th out of nowhere. Hes the olympic champion (on a very hard course) and a Vuelta runner up. He came 7th in the Tour a few years back. Its no fluke. Hes one of the best gt riders out there full stop.
The argument w/future / sagan makes no sense.
That's like Gesink is some young dude who is still at the start, which is not the case either. He'd already podium a GT (without the fall @Vuelta) and last year top 6 Tour with an injury. It's not that far from podium and definately not far from Sanchez. Don't forget that vuelta 09 he was actually doing better than Sanchez.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The argument w/future / sagan makes no sense.
That's like Gesink is some young dude who is still at the start, which is not the case either. He'd already podium a GT (without the fall @Vuelta) and last year top 6 Tour with an injury. It's not that far from podium and definately not far from Sanchez. Don't forget that vuelta 09 he was actually doing better than Sanchez.

Sorry Ruben, this post breaks my 3 day statute of limitations. I have no idea what my line of thought was back then;)

Though looking back through the comments, the Sagan bit you clearly didnt understand.

You said that Gesink is still young and has potential. I agree. The Sagan comment was just my way of pointing out that age doesnt matter as far as the 2011 Tour goes. You dont get bonus seconds for being young, so the fact that he has potential for the FUTURE is irrelevant.

And yes he was doing better than Sanchez at the 09 Vuelta, but i have already mentioned what i suspect to be the reasons behind Sanchez's improvement from 09 Vuelta to 2010 Tour, and why i think it will continue into the 2011 Tour.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Lol I'm fairly amused by the short term memory of some people here on the forum.

When Andy was nice to Contador ---> what a d-bag, Cipo is right, he has a vagina, he should talk more trash and be more agressive

When Andy talks trash ---> what a moron, he should show some modesty and respect, hope he gets destroyed by Contador in every race

The hypocrisy level is ridiculous.

He is the logical favourite for the Tour, he got asked who he thinks his main rivals will be, he answered the question. Just because he left your favourite rider(s) out doesn't mean he knows nothing about cycling. It was just his opinion. If you don't like it, take a crash-course with Cipo.

Why didn't they mention Contador: If he can race it goes without saying that he is the main favourite
" " " " Menchov: It's not looking so good for Geox

The passion you display when defending Schleck is inspiring.

TRENDING THREADS