• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schlecks Stage 14 appreciation thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
zamasailo said:
:D he said that?? haha useless...if guys like him have a team i hope Azevedo have a team of his own.

ya he did say it seriously. lol lets hope thehog needs to "get away" from cycling and azevedo can take over the sack because i doubt he could find sponsors in portugal, unless ofc machado rides an epic vuelta :p

Damiano Machiavelli said:
Where is the Schleck hater thread? How many people are like me who used to like the Schlecks but have grown to dislike them? If the two had even half of Voeckler's courage to split between them then they would have multiple grand tour wins.

i still like frankie boy, he isn't half as talented as his brother but he works hard and races fairly well across the season. andy just gets on my nerves, constant whining and doesn't care about anything other then the tour it just annoys me.

to think that on the giro 2007 and tour 2008 i cheered for the schlecks . . . .

this is a message for the schlecks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLGtG_yQzo&feature=related

that boys is how you attack, if some1 is on your wheel just ride them off it

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Cuddles has raced a sensible race, put himself in a good position and held on to it.

The problem is, most people feel a GT should be won with attacking panache, defeating your opponents and by being the best.

The 2011 Tour de France will likely be won by attrition, by managing to stay upright and making the least mistakes.

Cadel has, so far, stayed upright and made the least mistakes. A lot of the criticism is not of Cadel, it's frustration that the 'wrong' factors are likely to be decisive that is simply being aimed at Cadel because he's the one that looks like profiting.

I agree 100%. I do feel that the winner should be an attacking rider with Panache and the ability to ride others off the wheel. Winning by attrition and staying upright and wheel sucking your way to Paris makes this race kind of pathetic. I do not like the Schlecks, but, like I said at least they are trying. Basso tried as well....the rest well.....they are all wheel ahem suckers.

The Giro was way better due to Contador doing what I said above. I cannot stand him but he does kick everyone's **** (usually).

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
cyclestationgiuseppe said:
I agree 100%. I do feel that the winner should be an attacking rider with Panache and the ability to ride others off the wheel. Winning by attrition and staying upright and wheel sucking your way to Paris makes this race kind of pathetic. I do not like the Schlecks, but, like I said at least they are trying. Basso tried as well....the rest well.....they are all wheel ahem suckers.

Do you want me to give Lance a ring and see if he can come back again....just to keep you happy?

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am entitled to my opinion, and he HAD to close attacks or lose time and thus any podium spot. The FACT that he never actually attacked himself makes him a wheelsucker. Just like he has always been. Why should he attack? Because he wants to win maybe?

and if you would like to resort to name calling, go out and play with the other children on the block.

His attack to win the world championship was OK wasnt it?

Parrulo said:
ya he did say it seriously. lol lets hope thehog needs to "get away" from cycling and azevedo can take over the sack because i doubt he could find sponsors in portugal, unless ofc machado rides an epic vuelta :p

i still like frankie boy, he isn't half as talented as his brother but he works hard and races fairly well across the season. andy just gets on my nerves, constant whining and doesn't care about anything other then the tour it just annoys me.

to think that on the giro 2007 and tour 2008 i cheered for the schlecks . . . .

this is a message for the schlecks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLGtG_yQzo&feature=related

that boys is how you attack, if some1 is on your wheel just ride them off it

OMG THAT SONG D:

It's terrible. :(

May 23, 2010
Visit site
fatsprintking said:
His attack to win the world championship was OK wasnt it?

Also, unlike the other 'favourites' he has actually won a stage already. Something Contador did not do last year. Pretty hard to win a stage when following wheels.

I hate to quote Armstrong, but its not a popularity contest. Its a bike race.

If Cadel attacked at the base of Plateau de Beille and blew up all those criticising him now for not doing so would be criticising him for trying and failing in a futile attempt to be something he is not.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Cuddles has raced a sensible race, put himself in a good position and held on to it.

The problem is, most people feel a GT should be won with attacking panache, defeating your opponents and by being the best.

The 2011 Tour de France will likely be won by attrition, by managing to stay upright and making the least mistakes.

Cadel has, so far, stayed upright and made the least mistakes. A lot of the criticism is not of Cadel, it's frustration that the 'wrong' factors are likely to be decisive that is simply being aimed at Cadel because he's the one that looks like profiting.

I can appreciate that is what some people like to see. That is why cycling is such a great sport because people can enjoy the sport for various reasons.

But I guess I appreciate Cadel for the reasons others dislike him.

I was a fan of Ullrich over Pantani and Armstrong. I understand Ullrich and Evans are vastly different but the sentiment that I supported him over more 'flambouyant' riders is what I'm driving at. I guess I just appreciate different aspects of the sport to others.

One thing I will say however, is that you won't catch me accusing the winner of the race as undeserving due to the mishaps of his opponents in crashes, bad luck or TTTs ;)

Luck is part of any sport and life. You don't win anything without being relatively close to as lucky as your nearest opponent. And it can't be controlled. Those who can't seem to grasp that aspect of life just come off as whingers who seem to think there are certain entitlements that they and those they support should be afforded. That is simply not the case.

Sorry to get preachy. But bad luck should be treated with indifference not contempt.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
UlleGigo said:
Also, unlike the other 'favourites' he has actually won a stage already. Something Contador did not do last year. Pretty hard to win a stage when following wheels.

I hate to quote Armstrong, but its not a popularity contest. Its a bike race.

If Cadel attacked at the base of Plateau de Beille and blew up all those criticising him now for not doing so would be criticising him for trying and failing in a futile attempt to be something he is not.

really true from armstrong. A lot of posters want to see him make a big attack. But he is just not strong enough in the high mountains and is not explosive enough to gap his opponents. He already did quite a lot yesterday chasing back the attacks and making a dig at the 2k mark which dropped contador and frank for a while. However he will risk cracking if he tries to attack. Just like Ulle said he already has a stage win so there is not much pressure on him to get a 2nd one.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Evans' TT is totally overrated and no way he wins the TT. His TT hasn't really been among the very best since about 2007.

He may be the best of the GC contenders (assuming Contador, who will beat him 8 times out of 10, is still out of form) remaining, but no way does he beat Cancellara or Martin here.

Agreed. Evans TT has definitely been on the slide over past few years. However he still is better than the Schlecks so he cant be criticized too much for his current tactics

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Where is the Schleck hater thread? How many people are like me who used to like the Schlecks but have grown to dislike them? If the two had even half of Voeckler's courage to split between them then they would have multiple grand tour wins.

I don't hate its only a bike race. But I do agree that the Schlecks don't deserve anything with their current approach to Grand Tours. I still maintain that Frank crashing out las t year was an advantage as it got rid of this strange dynamic they seem to have (which sometimes just seems odd, have u seen all the moody pics of them at stage starts whats with that?)

In their latest press statements http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-brothers-lament-a-lack-of-aggression-from-gc-contenders they are critical of others for not attacking?!? What has that got to do with anything, they should be defining the agenda,what others so is irrelevant and they shouldn't care about them.

I just don't think they have got it, one of them may win this year as we continue on what really is quite a poor GC race without Berto on form and VDB and Wiggo out of way (I wouldn't normally rate them but looking at overall standard this year, they would have been prominent) but they are not GC winners for years to come.

Last night watching the highlights all of a sudden I started to think 2008. Not quite the same as it wont be a team mate of theirs but suddenly I was thinking Basso might get this, or will it be Berto coming back to form?

I dont know, but they are not making this a great race

FignonLeGrand said:
Agreed. Evans TT has definitely been on the slide over past few years. However he still is better than the Schlecks so he cant be criticized too much for his current tactics

I'm not going to criticise Evans' current tactics. He's done everything in his power to set himself up for the win.

I'd rather the race be won another way, sure, but Evans is now in the driving seat and it's up to the others to dislodge him.

I'll criticise the race organisers for setting up a parcours that's made only one week important and eliminated half the contenders before we even get to the mountains, and I'll criticise the likes of the Schlecks for not putting him under pressure when they need to, but I won't criticise Cuddles here.

You could say he's benefited from a lot of good fortune, but he's made absolutely sure that if there is good fortune to be had, then he will be the one that benefits from it.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I'm not going to criticise Evans' current tactics. He's done everything in his power to set himself up for the win.

I'd rather the race be won another way, sure, but Evans is now in the driving seat and it's up to the others to dislodge him.

I'll criticise the race organisers for setting up a parcours that's made only one week important and eliminated half the contenders before we even get to the mountains, and I'll criticise the likes of the Schlecks for not putting him under pressure when they need to, but I won't criticise Cuddles here.

You could say he's benefited from a lot of good fortune, but he's made absolutely sure that if there is good fortune to be had, then he will be the one that benefits from it.

Cheers Mate - Balanced and fair analysis - good work

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I am entitled to my opinion, and he HAD to close attacks or lose time and thus any podium spot. The FACT that he never actually attacked himself makes him a wheelsucker. Just like he has always been. Why should he attack? Because he wants to win maybe?

and if you would like to resort to name calling, go out and play with the other children on the block.

The funny thing is you call Evans a wheelsucker while he has been prominently around from the first stage, whereas the Schreck bro's had to cling to Cancellara. Evans has actually coursed pretty attractively within his limitations.

Seems your FACTS are just made up by you considering what we all could see in the first week. FACTS which are made up aren't facts.. they are fiction ;)

And you call someone who doesn't deserve it a wheelsucker. I'd say that makes you a.. Hmm a child?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
The funny thing is you call Evans a wheelsucker while he has been prominently around from the first stage, whereas the Schreck bro's had to cling to Cancellara. Evans has actually coursed pretty attractively within his limitations.

Seems your FACTS are just made up by you considering what we all could see in the first week. FACTS which are made up aren't facts.. they are fiction ;)

And you call someone who doesn't deserve it a wheelsucker. I'd say that makes you a.. Hmm a child?

If Saxobank had kept Cancellara this year, then the Schlecks wouldn't be where they are on GC now.

TRENDING THREADS