• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

schlecks to radioshack?

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
i had read one of the schlecks (i think andy) said they were talking to 4 teams (although i've also read that they're going to the new luxembourg team. if they are talking to 4 teams, do you think radioshack is one of them?

there just seems to be a lot of friendly back and forth (esp on twitter) between team radioshack people and the schlecks.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Well I guess that saxo bank were looking to be in danger of folding at the end of this season for a long time so I guess they would be talking to every team around and radioshack will need some good riders once lance is gone.... levi and jani is not enough i think :S..... So they would be being ice to them in the hope of signing and of course the schlecks could have needed a new team so everyone will be nice to everyone... but I think all the stories I read the schlecks are certainly off to the new luxembourg team....

I doubt they'd go to radioshack or even just one of them.... infact will radioshack survive for long will they want to keep sponsoring a team without lance? Levi Leipheimer is not a big enough star for them surely..

I think radio shack would want american riders anyway.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I wondering this as well. If Contador loses this TdF to AS, would it increase his chances of rejoining JB and Radioshack or is he a dead lock for a Spanish team?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Contador is staying with astana..... I think for sure... or maybe I am wrong.. I think it's for the best most riders stay where they are.. uncertain times for many teams.

The Schlecks want to go to this "rumoured" new, Luxembourg team.
Now, that's all gone a bit quiet.
Saxo Bank (Riis) is now looking to be secure, with Sunguard stepping up sponsorship and a new sponsor apparently secured.

On the other hand, Radio Shack top the list of companies expected to go into liquidation in 2011 and with no buyer in sight.

http://gizmodo.com/5584267/t+mobile-radioshack-top-2011-list-of-potentially-doomed-companies

If they are really in such bad shape, then the cycling team would by high on a list of "assets" to be dumped.

Could be a case of out of the new frying pan, into the fire.

A

Anonymous

frizzlefry said:
I wondering this as well. If Contador loses this TdF to AS, would it increase his chances of rejoining JB and Radioshack or is he a dead lock for a Spanish team?

There is not a faint ray of hope anywhere that Contador would leave where he is and sign on with Bruyneel.

Not after the way he was treated by that idiot last year, and all through the press this year.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Contador will stay with Astana and some of his Spanish friends on Caisse will join him. Don't rule out Luis Leon Sanchez despite the Rabobank rumours.

On the Schleck's - radioshack wanted Andy for this year. He refused because they wouldn't take Frank. Obviously Lance trying to eliminate his rivals.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:
There is not a faint ray of hope anywhere that Contador would leave where he is and sign on with Bruyneel.

Not after the way he was treated by that idiot last year, and all through the press this year.

I agree. Also, isn't Astana paying him a crazy amount of money??

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
The Schlecks want to go to this "rumoured" new, Luxembourg team.
Now, that's all gone a bit quiet.
Saxo Bank (Riis) is now looking to be secure, with Sunguard stepping up sponsorship and a new sponsor apparently secured.

On the other hand, Radio Shack top the list of companies expected to go into liquidation in 2011 and with no buyer in sight.

http://gizmodo.com/5584267/t+mobile-radioshack-top-2011-list-of-potentially-doomed-companies

If they are really in such bad shape, then the cycling team would by high on a list of "assets" to be dumped.

Could be a case of out of the new frying pan, into the fire.

The Livestrong rebranding is one of the few forward-looking initiatives they've created. I suspect they'd drop a lot of other assets before ditching the biggest sales and marketing campaign they've created in decades.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if bringing in someone like a Schleck brother is on their list of priorities in terms of marketing....and for RS, I'm pretty sure this relationship has less to do with winning and more to do with connecting with the (primarily US) audience.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
frizzlefry said:

He will probably never go to Rs, as this will retain a reasonable large influence of LA, also I don't think AC will ever go back to JB

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
He will probably never go to Rs, as this will retain a reasonable large influence of LA, also I don't think AC will ever go back to JB

He's got so many equal options, I don't know why he'd step back into that minefield. He'd also be signing with a team that has only one more year on it's sponsorship contract.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:

While I don't think he'll go to Radio Shack... I'm not sure the angst with Bruyneel is there.

He won't go to a team that would still be associated with Lance like RS would be... but I'm not as certain that Contador wouldn't be okay going back to a different Bruyneel run team.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It seems Contador is planning to stay at Astana for another 2-3 years, at least according to his brother/manager, and I'd say that's the best option for him by a long way. Big salary, strong domestiques, team built around him (don't buy the whole AC vs Vino thing) and a multiple GT-winning DS in Martinelli.

I remember hearing a rumour last year about LA wanting to sign Andy - just like he used to sign up his main rivals in the USPS days in order to neutralise the competition. Andy, or anybody else with GC ambitions, would be very silly to sign on for an Armstrong vanity project which isn't likely to last long past his retirement - remember Discovery?

In an interview, on VeloNews I think, after the watch gifting Bryneel said it would be impossible for Alberto to ride for him again. Can't remeber exactly where I saw this but I think its on one of the videos VN does every day.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
ManInFull said:
I agree. Also, isn't Astana paying him a crazy amount of money??

I dont't know if 4 millions of Euros in a year is crazy. But he would have received the same amount if he had made a contract with Quickstep.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:

you gotta be nutz. contador has already signed with astana for next year.

ed rader

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
-myra- said:

Yes, after all, that "idiot" lead him to 4 straight Grand Tour victories.

If he loses the Tour this year, it would be the first grand tour he has lost (since his run began) AND his first without the mentorship of Bruyneel.

After that level of success without the "idiot", I'm sure he would want to continue his streak of success in the post-"idiot" time.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Squares said:
Yes, after all, that "idiot" lead him to 4 straight Grand Tour victories.

If he loses the Tour this year, it would be the first grand tour he has lost (since his run began) AND his first without the mentorship of Bruyneel.

After that level of success without the "idiot", I'm sure he would want to continue his streak of success in the post-"idiot" time.

you think they'll let the hog run the team from the slammer :)?

ed rader

TRENDING THREADS