• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Seeking for a team.

Hello.My name is Marius Pantea and i'm from Romania.http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=9174

I'm seeking for a team that can pay me as a road cyclist.

Lately I was forced to seek for a job because nobody offered or accepted to help me continuing cycling.
I started cycling in 2001 but my first road bike was buyed only in 2002 after I was forced to work for buyng it as a bike mechanik.In 2003 I raced for the first time.All my results can be found here :http://www.marius-ciclistu.go.ro/site/results.htm.
Now I'm thinking that if I don't find a team until the end of this year, I'll quit cycling.Sadly but I have no choice.The club that I race for now, doesn't have a team, and I'm sick of missing races(team races) and places in races because of that reason.Plus they don't pay me.This year I missed Tur of Romania and Tur of Szeklerland (bowth UCI 2.2 )for that reason.
All the information about me can be found on my personal site listed below.
My full CV can be downloaded here: http://www.marius-ciclistu.go.ro/CURRICULUM_VITAE.doc.

If you can help me,please point me a team that may be interested in my snervices.
Thank you.

Marius Pantea
-Romanian Road Cyclist

-http://www.marius-ciclistu.go.ro

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
marius-ciclistu said:
Hello.My name is Marius Pantea and i'm from Romania.http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=9174

Lately I was forced to seek for a job because nobody offered or accepted to help me continuing cycling.
I started cycling in 2001 but my first road bike was buyed only in 2002 after I was forced to work for buyng it as a bike mechanik.In 2003 I raced for the first time.All my results can be found here :http://www.marius-ciclistu.go.ro/site/results.htm.
Now I'm thinking that if I don't find a team until the end of this year, I'll quit cycling.Sadly but I have no choice.The club that I race for now, doesn't have a team, and I'm sick of missing races(team races) and places in races because of that reason.Plus they don't pay me.This year I missed Tur of Romania and Tur of Szeklerland (bowth UCI 2.2 )for that reason.
My full CV can be downloaded here: http://www.marius-ciclistu.go.ro/CURRICULUM_VITAE.doc.

If you can help me,please point me a team that may be interested in my snervices.
Thank you.

Marius Pantea
-Romanian Road Cyclist
-Phone: +40742660439

Is your real name Alberto Contador? I wouldn't advise you put your real phone number on this forum as their are many creepy trolls lurking around to feast on your innocence!

marius-ciclistu said:

Thank you.

Marius Pantea
-Romanian Road Cyclist
-Phone: +40742660439

Cluj lovely part of the world. Good mountain riding around the area although the roads are in dire need of some help. I suggest get yourself to Italy. You will be paid less but in most cases a family will put you up, feed you so you can spend the time training and finding a team to ride on. Stay away from Tuscany. Way too much big time riders around there. Perhaps go near Bologna where there is some beautiful riding and teams with a more realistic approach to training and racing. PM me and I'll put you in touch with a couple of guys. Can't promise you much but at least its a start and you get riding on the roads. Also Italian is much easy to learn when coming from Romania which you would already know.

Sell the car, sell your mother and get yourself there and hopefully the rest will fall into place. You don't have a hope of being noticed in Romania along with your local federation embezzling most of its UCI money. Look what that country has done to its football teams.

Best of luck. I have very fond memories of your country. But not its roads.

Thank u

Thank you for responding.Here Sport means only ****ing fotbal.
(I know italian, it's writen in my cv.)
The problem is that here a cyclist can't show what he's got because he must strugle to get a bike and food and so on.Only juniors are wanted because they are suported by their parents, and the clubs don't give them nothing.When they become seniors they quit cycling.All of this for the trainers to earn money.here cycling doesn't exist.****ing country people.
Sponsors are verry fiew and when they are, the clubs take the majority of the money and don't give nothink to the riders.
Tur of Szeklerland is a succes in cycling here but not because of romanians but because of the Tusnad cycling team.They are romanians but their origin is hungaryan.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
marius-ciclistu said:

Thank you.

Marius Pantea
-Romanian Road Cyclist

There are hundreds if not thousands of cyclists all over the world in the same position as you are. Nobody is going to pay you to race unless you can first prove what you are capable of. If you are truly serious then the first thing you must do is to sell everything you own and get yourself to either Italy or my choice would be Belgium. This is where the most races and teams are. First you must race and get results then you will be noticed and the offers will come. If you are not prepared to do this then you are only dreaming. Good luck ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Not sure this is the correct forum to discuss job opportunities and post resumes.

I thought this is a forum to discuss professional racing. If there IS a need for a Job Board, maybe something the moderators can consider. But here it can get ugly, pretty darn quickly

My $0.02

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Pay you? I have seen this post up for a couple of days and I am astonished that only a couple of lads called you a clown. If you can't demolish your local competition and mean really bury them don't bother. Stay with club/support group of "believers" that go off to work and are willing to give you a 50 here or there to support your racing. Belgium,Holland and Germany are looking for another east block immigrant like a bag of sand in a sinking ship. If you can fly(on your bike) go to Belgium and race a couple of times, there has to be somebody who knows somebody that can host you for 2 weeks or so. Do a few races and see if you are "undiscovered" or should be covered in a blanket. I have seen wheel chairs go down a hill faster than your video so take it down before a team discovers that ****s are in the east also. PS learn Flams,French, or German it's your only hope and be fast like really fast(50k). Motor pacing has to be easier and cheaper where you are at so if you can't come around the motor 5 or 6 times going 40 don't look for a "job" until you can. PS craigslist/realtor/immob try and find a place for 400-600 euros per month and another 1000 euro for exp per month and go to race for a couple of months. Anywhere between Antwerp and Brussels should give you a good report card. Why are you not on your Nat Team...who is on your Nat Team? I am not trying to be an *** to you, just saying if you are looking for job at this point in the season and in your location.. W. Europe is going to suck any money and life out of you as you hit big city cycle racing. Plan C would be to find the same job you are looking for now in Antwerp and train on the roads you will race on. If you become a male dancer keep it a secret until you win a big race. My 1st trip I had a free place to stay and transportation,4700 dollars in my pocket for 9 months and went home with a prison style beating,no money left,broken jaw,finger and it only took me 6 and a half months. 2nd trip came expecting to get my *** handed to me and left with what I expected. Belgians are dirty, mean and fast in any order.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
You can laways try Spain. Seems like a healthy racing scene in Barcelona or even in the Basque Country. That is how Alberto Contador and Samuel Sanchez cut their teeth.

hi

fatandfast said:
Pay you? I have seen this post up for a couple of days and I am astonished that only a couple of lads called you a clown. If you can't demolish your local competition and mean really bury them don't bother. Stay with club/support group of "believers" that go off to work and are willing to give you a 50 here or there to support your racing. Belgium,Holland and Germany are looking for another east block immigrant like a bag of sand in a sinking ship. If you can fly(on your bike) go to Belgium and race a couple of times, there has to be somebody who knows somebody that can host you for 2 weeks or so. Do a few races and see if you are "undiscovered" or should be covered in a blanket. I have seen wheel chairs go down a hill faster than your video so take it down before a team discovers that ****s are in the east also. PS learn Flams,French, or German it's your only hope and be fast like really fast(50k). Motor pacing has to be easier and cheaper where you are at so if you can't come around the motor 5 or 6 times going 40 don't look for a "job" until you can. PS craigslist/realtor/immob try and find a place for 400-600 euros per month and another 1000 euro for exp per month and go to race for a couple of months. Anywhere between Antwerp and Brussels should give you a good report card. Why are you not on your Nat Team...who is on your Nat Team? I am not trying to be an *** to you, just saying if you are looking for job at this point in the season and in your location.. W. Europe is going to suck any money and life out of you as you hit big city cycle racing. Plan C would be to find the same job you are looking for now in Antwerp and train on the roads you will race on. If you become a male dancer keep it a secret until you win a big race. My 1st trip I had a free place to stay and transportation,4700 dollars in my pocket for 9 months and went home with a prison style beating,no money left,broken jaw,finger and it only took me 6 and a half months. 2nd trip came expecting to get my *** handed to me and left with what I expected. Belgians are dirty, mean and fast in any order.

Hi.Thank you for your advices.I am in the national team of Romania http://www.cyclingbase.com/effectif1.php?id=1175&idtitle=4&idsaison=28 .The problem is that in this country there is no national team!!!It's only on paper.Nobody gives a **** on national team.Evem the riders avoid it.

In my videos it seems like i go slow because of the camera and the road that is verry ,but verry broken. If you get me a chance to race on a technical descent with who ever you wish i'll guarantee you that you'll bet on me at the next race.I'm the best descender in Romania.Only Andrei Nechita from liquigaz is a bit better than me on descends.He is olso romanian but he lives in Italy.
Sorry that i must self-praise but I had to give you an answear regarding my video on descending.
Thank you again.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

I have to echo these comments. I went to the Netherlands and Belgium and to say they are dirty mean and fast is an understatement!!! Prison style beating is what I got too...I did have some successes...but boy, you better be prepared to take a lickin 3-5 times a week and come back for more. There is no romance in cycling in Belgium or the Netherlands...when the flag drops it is every man for himself!!! A true hard man sport!!! I don't know about Spain or Italy...but from comments by other riders when I was there...the racing is much more "civil".

I wish you all the good luck you deserve. Success to you!!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I agree with beroepsrenner. Anyone that makes it in their profession has to make sacrifices. Suck it up and do what you have to do. If you don't want to make these sacrifices, then you weren't cut out for it in the first place. Talent only gets you so far ... persistence, dedication and sacrifice are the qualities which will allow you to succeed.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
marius-ciclistu said:
Hi.Thank you for your advices.I am in the national team of Romania http://www.cyclingbase.com/effectif1.php?id=1175&idtitle=4&idsaison=28 .The problem is that in this country there is no national team!!!It's only on paper.Nobody gives a **** on national team.Evem the riders avoid it.

In my videos it seems like i go slow because of the camera and the road that is verry ,but verry broken. If you get me a chance to race on a technical descent with who ever you wish i'll guarantee you that you'll bet on me at the next race.I'm the best descender in Romania.Only Andrei Nechita from liquigaz is a bit better than me on descends.He is olso romanian but he lives in Italy.
Sorry that i must self-praise but I had to give you an answear regarding my video on descending.
Thank you again.

LOL :D Its not how you go down the hills that count. Its more about how you go up them!! I suggest you go visit your countryman in Italy and if you can stay with him going up then maybe you should stay and race. If you cant do that then you should stop dreaming and play football instead.

beroepsrenner said:
LOL :D Its not how you go down the hills that count. Its more about how you go up them!! I suggest you go visit your countryman in Italy and if you can stay with him going up then maybe you should stay and race. If you cant do that then you should stop dreaming and play football instead.

I played football when I was in school.But now I can't stand it.
Now about cycling.I stayed with my countryman at nationals and even tryed to breakaway with him on the way up.
I would go and race with pleasure in Italy but if I had the financiar posibility, i wouldn't have posted this on cyclingnews forum have I?
And anauther thing.How do you thing a cyclist is maked? He borns a cyclist?Just like that?How do you think I will race ,in Italy for example,comming from Romania without some practice, acomodation and a good racing equipment?
If I were that good and the romanian championship were so good I wouldn't want to go anywere.But that's the ideea.To improve my skils.
And as an observation.
What I had learnd about cycling until now is that the amators make gods from the profesionals, and they are obsessed by the bike and helmet, shoes and so on.You can make cycling (for pleasure) with any bike.You don't need to buy a bike that a profesional rider uses.So my point is that many people look at you and laugh because you don't have an expensive bike.Here in Romania this is the "cultural spirit":the amators have expensive bike easy bikes and they are givind me advices about how should I make cycling......The ones that want to make real cycling are "starving" and the amators have all they need but they ride for pleasure.

A

Anonymous

I pretended to be a Neo Nazi cyclist on a couple of forums. The first time it was a gay Neo Nazi cyclist. I dig it man, real cool little lure you are using. Hope it works for you.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
marius-ciclistu said:
I played football when I was in school.But now I can't stand it.
Now about cycling.I stayed with my countryman at nationals and even tryed to breakaway with him on the way up.
I would go and race with pleasure in Italy but if I had the financiar posibility, i wouldn't have posted this on cyclingnews forum have I?
And anauther thing.How do you thing a cyclist is maked? He borns a cyclist?Just like that?How do you think I will race ,in Italy for example,comming from Romania without some practice, acomodation and a good racing equipment?
If I were that good and the romanian championship were so good I wouldn't want to go anywere.But that's the ideea.To improve my skils.
And as an observation.
What I had learnd about cycling until now is that the amators make gods from the profesionals, and they are obsessed by the bike and helmet, shoes and so on.You can make cycling (for pleasure) with any bike.You don't need to buy a bike that a profesional rider uses.So my point is that many people look at you and laugh because you don't have an expensive bike.Here in Romania this is the "cultural spirit":the amators have expensive bike easy bikes and they are givind me advices about how should I make cycling......The ones that want to make real cycling are "starving" and the amators have all they need but they ride for pleasure.

Man, you are making a fool of yourself by continuing this thread on the forum. When I was 21 I was in a similar position to you. I lived in a country where cycling was not a mainstream sport yet I wanted to see how far I could go with it. So I sold everything I had and went to the other side of the world with nothing more than an address and a phone number and $1000 in travellers cheques. I did not become a star but I survived for 6 years with racing as my main form of income. Sometimes I didnt know where my next meal was coming from. It was the toughest and most demoralising 6 years of my life and yet the most fulfilling. NOBODY is going to invite you. If you really want to do this then you have to stop sitting in front of your computer and get your *** off to a country where there are opportunities to make your dream a reality. Allan Peiper dropped out of high school at age 16 and went to Belgium to learn how to be a professional cyclist. Belgium is a long way from Australia, yet he succeeded because he had the talent and the determination to use it.
If you have only ever raced in Romania then I dont believe you have any idea how hard it would be racing in a true cycling country. The first thing you need is the courage to do what I have explained to you here. If you cant do that then you need to stop whinging because the world is laughing at you. ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
Man, you are making a fool of yourself by continuing this thread on the forum. When I was 21 I was in a similar position to you. I lived in a country where cycling was not a mainstream sport yet I wanted to see how far I could go with it. So I sold everything I had and went to the other side of the world with nothing more than an address and a phone number and $1000 in travellers cheques. I did not become a star but I survived for 6 years with racing as my main form of income. Sometimes I didnt know where my next meal was coming from. It was the toughest and most demoralising 6 years of my life and yet the most fulfilling. NOBODY is going to invite you. If you really want to do this then you have to stop sitting in front of your computer and get your *** off to a country where there are opportunities to make your dream a reality. Allan Peiper dropped out of high school at age 16 and went to Belgium to learn how to be a professional cyclist. Belgium is a long way from Australia, yet he succeeded because he had the talent and the determination to use it.
If you have only ever raced in Romania then I dont believe you have any idea how hard it would be racing in a true cycling country. The first thing you need is the courage to do what I have explained to you here. If you cant do that then you need to stop whinging because the world is laughing at you. ;)

Thanks Beroepsrenner, well put and excellenty explained - this is getting a bit too much to stomach for this section of the forum. Maybe we can move it to the 'Whining Gallery' section.

mango_tarbash

BANNED
Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Keep the thread open

Marius - don't take these negative comments to heart.

You did the right thing for someone in your position by at least getting the ball rolling and posting an unusual request on this forum. Not everybody has a flight titanium saddle stuck up their buttholes like so many around here. If these smart asses were in your shoes they wouldn't know where to start either. The fact is if you reckon you have what it takes to go pro and rip the peleton to pieces then it's up to you to grab fate by its gnarly horns and make it happen. Think laterally, be cunning. The are so many wilds and varied roads to success its foolish to be discouraged by irritating gnats who claim it's hopeless, or that theirs is the only way to achieve your goal.

You're you: 'Marius Pantea' Write your own book, do it your way, and don't let anybody discourage you if you can honestly say to yourself, with your hand on your heart, that you know you have what it takes to be a champion. Half of the battle will always be in your head, win it there before you win it anywhere else. If you know you are a match for the current crop of pros and have the physical properties to match, and are willing to mentally gorge yourself on pain pills lying in the roads before you like a demented 'Pacman' on wheels then no one will ever dare step into your path and tell you to get back to Romania!!

My advice is to target the country of your choice and seek work there first - keep yourself fit, and then when things are on an even keel put the second part of your plan into action, find a club and start ripping legs off, if the will is really there to be among the best things will fall into place naturally- always look at where you want to be, and NEVER where you don't want to be...it's how all champions inevitably hit the target. Be defiant, keep the fire in your belly.

Now go find a job in Italy or somewhere. Take baby steps, one part of your plan at a time, keep control and watch as it falls into place. Don't tire yourself out by over-expectation or impatience.

I won't say good luck, you shouldn't need it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mango_tarbash said:
Marius - don't take these negative comments to heart.

You did the right thing for someone in your position by at least getting the ball rolling and posting an unusual request on this forum. Not everybody has a flight titanium saddle stuck up their buttholes like so many around here. If these smart asses were in your shoes they wouldn't know where to start either. The fact is if you reckon you have what it takes to go pro and rip the peleton to pieces then it's up to you to grab fate by its gnarly horns and make it happen. Think laterally, be cunning. The are so many wilds and varied roads to success its foolish to be discouraged by irritating gnats who claim it's hopeless, or that theirs is the only way to achieve your goal.

You're you: 'Marius Pantea' Write your own book, do it your way, and don't let anybody discourage you if you can honestly say to yourself, with your hand on your heart, that you know you have what it takes to be a champion. Half of the battle will always be in your head, win it there before you win it anywhere else. If you know you are a match for the current crop of pros and have the physical properties to match, and are willing to mentally gorge yourself on pain pills lying in the roads before you like a demented 'Pacman' on wheels then no one will ever dare step into your path and tell you to get back to Romania!!

My advice is to target the country of your choice and seek work there first - keep yourself fit, and then when things are on an even keel put the second part of your plan into action, find a club and start ripping legs off, if the will is really there to be among the best things will fall into place naturally- always look at where you want to be, and NEVER where you don't want to be...it's how all champions inevitably hit the target. Be defiant, keep the fire in your belly.

Now go find a job in Italy or somewhere. Take baby steps, one part of your plan at a time, keep control and watch as it falls into place. Don't tire yourself out by over-expectation or impatience.

I won't say good luck, you shouldn't need it.

Talk about someone having something stuck up their butthole - did you read the posts? We all said that you need to add determination and commitment to talent. If you cannot be determined and committed, then it doesn't matter how much talent you have. That advice doesn't matter whether you're a professional cyclist or a nuclear physicist, you have to make sacrifices to succeed and rarely does success just appear at your doorstep. Furthermore, and even more damaging to your claim of irritating gnats, most of the advice on this thread has come from a professional rider who traveled further than Romania (Australia) and in tougher times both economically and within the peloton. You just look like an idiot when you dismiss the advice of ex-pros and successful people, especially when they are all saying the same thing.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
While some of the comments here have come across harsh they are a fairly accurate assessment of making the scene in Europe.

I do believe you should try - but you have to be realistic and set achievable goals.

The gulf between amateur racing and racing where it is your only source of livelihood is immense, but not insurmountable.
However if you do wish to make a living from the sport then as Bero implied- you have to sell, borrow or steal to get to Europe.

Marius - you have said the infrastructure and organization in Romania is poor- than no-one is going to go there looking for talent, you are going to have to make that jump yourself.

It is now almost September - teams rosters are filling now, so time is limited. Belgium would be the best place to go but Italy is very good too and you say you raced against a pro who is racing in Italy and that you speak Italian.
HE is your first phone-call- ask him for the name of clubs and contacts and also ask if he could spread your name around and talk to teams on your behalf - if they refuse unfortunately this is not a good sign.

You do not have to have a lot of money - just enough to cover basic costs. If you are not rising through the ranks in your first 6 months then it is probably best to reconsider your choice.

Good luck in your endeavors.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Optimistic this poster is, but still, it got my attention. It works. :)

I'm not sure if it's a good way to gain a spot on a pro team, but you can go for Gran Fondos. Much less tactics than in normal races. So if you're loosing some races only due to stronger oppenent teams, you might shine there.

It's very hard to became a real pro. But apart from living somewhere where the bike racing scene is much more active, you need big talent as well. Or be very good at selling yourself. ;)

EDIT: I wrote that I wasn't sure, checked around about it, and yes, I am wrong about Gran Fondos.
For those interested, read here at the bottom: http://www.biciveneto.it/granfondo.html

reply to ALL

I've taken notes about what all of you wrote to me, and I thank you for that.of course writing is easy but making something is harder.I'll start on making some money, making some publicity (that is a secret that I hope will surprise many people especialy from Romania but also from central Europe ), and looking in the same time for some riders that i Know in Europe for some lobi.I'm not discouraged or triled by some posts.I read them with objectivity and note if I consider something can help me.
Thank you again.