• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Selle Italia Turbomatic 4 replacement...?

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Alas, the last of my Turbomatic 4's is biting the dust... Can I get some feedback on what your opinion might be as to a newer alternative that'll fit the same... I've tried a couple, the newish Flite and a Tom Ritchey WCS (apparently made in the Selle Italia factory) but not quite right my my ample and rapidly aging bum.....
Thanks, look forward with interest to the replies.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
a classic done again,

http://www.sellesanmarco.it/en/Collezione/Saddles/43/Regale Racing Team.html

http://www.sellesanmarco.it/en/Collezione/Saddles/42/Regale Racing.html#

499L003R-Regale-RacingTeam.jpg

Try the fizik aliante. Very comfy with a traditional profile. Most comfortable seat my rear end has ever had. However, each rear end is different and will find a different seat comfortable.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
After decades riding on Regals, Rolls, Turbomatics, etc, I finally bought a Fizik Aliante, and like Black Dog, I'll happily testify to its comfort level. If anything, it's too comfortable. It's like a lightweight, streamlined comfy sofa for your bike. After a few 100+ mile rides without any pain or the slightest soreness at all, I started to feel like I was cheating. Isn't cycling all about suffering? What would Eddy think?

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
After decades riding on Regals, Rolls, Turbomatics, etc, I finally bought a Fizik Aliante, and like Black Dog, I'll happily testify to its comfort level. If anything, it's too comfortable. It's like a lightweight, streamlined comfy sofa for your bike. After a few 100+ mile rides without any pain or the slightest soreness at all, I started to feel like I was cheating. Isn't cycling all about suffering? What would Eddy think?

Hmmm..... it IS all about suffering isn't it? Seems the Fizik is getting a pretty positive response so far.. The Rolls was mentioned, I think I found them a bit too flat, having that bit of shape in the Turbo was the go..

Well,thanks to all so far.. I'll be looking forward to any other replies:D

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Ex-turbo, current Aliante user here. Best saddle I've ever had. Can't understand my friends who insist on the no-padding nylon shells that pervade the market right now. I still have an old turbo on my mountain bike, though.

I miss my Turbomatic too and still curse Selle Italia for initially discontinuing it. But alas, according to their website it's coming back!:D
http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html

I tried the Regal but IMO it didn't have the padding or shock absobtion of the Turbomatic 4 (I had the gel version).

I have had some luck with the Specialized Phenom 143; nice curved profile, more padding than the Regal, but still not as comfortable as the Turbomatic. Wish I tried the Aliante, fizik has excellent products.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
El Oso said:
I miss my Turbomatic too and still curse Selle Italia for initially discontinuing it. But alas, according to their website it's coming back!:D
http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html

I tried the Regal but IMO it didn't have the padding or shock absobtion of the Turbomatic 4 (I had the gel version).

I have had some luck with the Specialized Phenom 143; nice curved profile, more padding than the Regal, but still not as comfortable as the Turbomatic. Wish I tried the Aliante, fizik has excellent products.

Hmmmm..... Very tempting isn't it? I had a look at the link, looks pretty nice.. The Aliante has been getting a pretty good rap, but I may try and search out one of those new Turbos.... thanks for taking the time to reply!

Kennf1 said:
Look's intriguing. A turbo under 400 grams? Blasphemy! They've also reissued the plain old Turbo, at a price of $50.

I know, nice for it to be "lightweight", althought carbon rails always scare me, I feel ti would provide better strength for bigger rider, but that could just me

A quick google search showed it in some stores for about $200 :eek:, but I suppose that's the same as a carbon twin flex aliante with k'ium rails

TRENDING THREADS