• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sep Vanmarcke appreciation thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Well this was his once in a lifetime chance to win PR. He will never get a better chance to win this race again.
Sorry,but this post is just a pure nonsense :(
How does he never get a better chance?

Only one big contender is Sagan and he is on top form in 2016, so who knows.I dont think that GVA or Kristoff could ride on this form for too long either...

ILovecycling said:
Gigs_98 said:
Well this was his once in a lifetime chance to win PR. He will never get a better chance to win this race again.

Only one big contender is Sagan and he is on top form in 2016, so who knows.I dont think that GVA or Kristoff could ride on this form for too long either...

Yep, Sep is on paper the second best cobbler in 2016, I dont see why he can't win either, he is only 28 next year. Probably the best age for Flanders and Roubaix, no?

ILovecycling said:
Gigs_98 said:

Well its definitely not impossible that he wins RVV or PR one day I shouldnt have written it like that. Nevertheless do you think he will ever get weaker rivals again than past his prime boonen, stannard, EBH and hayman. The thing is that from them vanmarcke was the only one who was one of the pre race favorites but still he couldnt win.

Valv.Piti said:
ILovecycling said:
Gigs_98 said:

Yep, Sep is on paper the second best cobbler in 2016, I dont see why he can't win either, he is only 28 next year. Probably the best age for Flanders and Roubaix, no?

Best cobbler of 2016? Not really.

Not saying Vanmarcke wont have the opportunity to win this race in the future but this surely was an incredibly good chance. His two main rivals distanced by a crash and unable to come back, Degenkolb and GVA out, Etixx unusually weak etc. Next year will be even harder I think

Why do you do it to yourselves lads :(

I’m saving up my annual disappointment allowance for England this year, don’t want to put too much hope in sep only for him to get hit by an asteroid or something.

It’s the simpsons episode where mr burns starts a baseball team. “One misfortune, maybe... two misfortunes... there’s an outside chance”

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Vanmarcke is just a stronger version of Stijn Vandenbergh ...

He should be a super-domestic for Sagan so Sagan can win every RVV and PR before he retires...

The 'bad luck' argument holds more validity in the smaller cobbled classics, I think.

It's not like bad luck prevented him from winning Roubaix in 2013, 2014 or 2016 (or today for that matter).
And in 2014 and 2016 Ronde Van Vlaanderen he was also free from accidents.

Maybe he "just" needs to add more weapons to his arsenal, because seeing him now, he is "just there" with the top guys where he may be able to attack solo once or twice. But that's not going to land him wins, if he cannot sustain his attacks.

A disappointing season so far for Sep, I'd say. I think he was stronger in 2013 and 2014 than he's been for the last two or three years

Sep was originally planned to ride the Tour but because his team sucks more than a decent vacuum they changed it up and scheduled him on a bunch of one-day races in the hopes to somehow avoid relegation. Here is his programme for the rest of the year:
31/5 Gullegem
4/6 Heistse pijl
5/6 Brussels classic
6/6 Ronde van Limburg
11/6 Hageland
12/6 Elfstedenronde
15-19/6 Belgium tour
26/6 BK Middelkerke
29/6 - 11/7 Stage in Levigno
18/7 GP Cerami
23-27/7 Tour de Wallonie
10/8 Eurometropole tour
21/8 Hamburg
24/8 Druivenkoers
28/8 GP Bretagne
29/8-4/9 Benelux tour
9/9 Grote prijs Quebec
11/9 Grote prijs Montreal
14/9 Grote prijs Wallonie
17/9 Primus Classic
18/9 Gooikse pijl
2/10 Famenne Ardennen classic
4/10 Binche Chimay Binche
6/10 Paris Bourges
9/10 Paris Tours

Anyways, I hope Israel get relegated and Sep flees the (already) sunken boat and finally joins Quick-Step or Intermarché where he will finally win Paris-Roubaix in an epic dual with MVDP and WVA.

Source: His dad (and my former Maths-teacher Jozef)

Sep was originally planned to ride the Tour but because his team sucks more than a decent vacuum they changed it up and scheduled him on a bunch of one-day races in the hopes to somehow avoid relegation. Here is his programme for the rest of the year:
31/5 Gullegem
4/6 Heistse pijl
5/6 Brussels classic
6/6 Ronde van Limburg
11/6 Hageland
12/6 Elfstedenronde
15-19/6 Belgium tour
26/6 BK Middelkerke
29/6 - 11/7 Stage in Levigno
18/7 GP Cerami
23-27/7 Tour de Wallonie
10/8 Eurometropole tour
21/8 Hamburg
24/8 Druivenkoers
28/8 GP Bretagne
29/8-4/9 Benelux tour
9/9 Grote prijs Quebec
11/9 Grote prijs Montreal
14/9 Grote prijs Wallonie
17/9 Primus Classic
18/9 Gooikse pijl
2/10 Famenne Ardennen classic
4/10 Binche Chimay Binche
6/10 Paris Bourges
9/10 Paris Tours

Anyways, I hope Israel get relegated and Sep flees the (already) sunken boat and finally joins Quick-Step or Intermarché where he will finally win Paris-Roubaix in an epic dual with MVDP and WVA.

Source: His dad (and my former Maths-teacher Jozef)

Sep and Woods can help them overtake EF imo.