• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

My question is what happened in races like Tour of the Alps and Cali. I understand performing poorly in the first couple of races, but these races are later in the season and doesn't have super strong depth. You can see in Dauphine that he slowly got better, and then, BOOM. Just not winning, but just humiliating all the field from the bottom on two big climbs in a row.

I love his style and who doesn't love when the yellow jersey just says screw it and goes from the bottom Pantani-style?

I hear he has been racing at the professional level only two years, with this being his first year as a world-tour neo pro, so if he is a genuine talent (and it looks like he might be) then this is the kind of progression that might be expected. He does have great form climbing. We'll see how it goes from here. Nice win today, though.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
What a guy.

Hopefully he can do this kinda climbing outside the US as well. There's been many amazing performances by young americans on American soil that never really got a continuation in Europe.

I totally agree with your comment.
btw., I expected more from Powless and McNulty on this Tour.
Go on Sepp, this was just so much fun to watch!

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
My question is what happened in races like Tour of the Alps and Cali. I understand performing poorly in the first couple of races, but these races are later in the season and doesn't have super strong depth. You can see in Dauphine that he slowly got better, and then, BOOM. Just not winning, but just humiliating all the field from the bottom on two big climbs in a row.

I love his style and who doesn't love when the yellow jersey just says screw it and goes from the bottom Pantani-style?

He said that he was only helping teammates and it was hard for him to adjust in new team, he started eating healthier etc. It's similar to last year when he had proper winter training camp with Rally for the first time in career and started to improve form in the second part of the season. You just have to basically follow his strava to know his form :D Also he rode really good in Italian races last season so he should be able to adjust to European racing. What's more he may still have much potential because he really started riding on the road in 2016 and earlier MTB was more like his hobby. Even when he was moving to Rally he didn't know if cycling is something that he wants to do and fully commit to it.

How to climb like Sep Kuss:

DkWWJh1UwAA2PBa.jpg

nice to see a young American go fast, Lotto-Jumbo is making giant leaps this year

53 kms solo to stage win and GC lead 2 days ago, with 2 BMC and 3 EF-Cannondale chasing

I had to laugh at this tweet (the name says it all)

@cycling_troll

Hi @georgenbennett nice to see that someone of your team "does a Landis".

Martin said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
What a guy.

Hopefully he can do this kinda climbing outside the US as well. There's been many amazing performances by young americans on American soil that never really got a continuation in Europe.

It's quite hard for McNulty to show himself in a race he is not actually participating in :p . Although, watch out for him in roughly 10 days or so at l'Avenir.

LottoNL, like Sunweb previously, have recruited well and now have a great team. Roglic, Kruijswijk and Dylan are obvious leaders, but younger guys like Tolhoek, Roosen, Kuss, Powless are all starting to show good things, plus they have recruited Vingegaard and Hofstede for next season.

JoeD1997 said:
Martin said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
What a guy.

It's quite hard for McNulty to show himself in a race he is not actually participating in :p . Although, watch out for him in roughly 10 days or so at l'Avenir.

Technicalities!