• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shimano 7850 CL 24 Wheel Set - sticky hub - help needed

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
:(I have recently purchased a set of these wheels and have found them to be the slowest wheels I have ever ridden. The main problem i find is that the hub “stick’s” every time I coast and I feel myself slowing. When the wheel is in a stand and is pedalled it even engages the cranks. I have stripped the wheel down and the wheel spins fine but when you stop the the hub from spinning it noticeably slows the wheel. I have emailed Shimano and they have not responded and have had one rear wheel replaced and still the same…slow wheel. Also the ratchet is very muffled when free wheeling not like my carbon Dura ACE which really have a loud ratchet…help anyone??

Tassie Rider said:
:(I have recently purchased a set of these wheels and have found them to be the slowest wheels I have ever ridden. The main problem i find is that the hub “stick’s” every time I coast and I feel myself slowing. When the wheel is in a stand and is pedalled it even engages the cranks. I have stripped the wheel down and the wheel spins fine but when you stop the the hub from spinning it noticeably slows the wheel. I have emailed Shimano and they have not responded and have had one rear wheel replaced and still the same…slow wheel. Also the ratchet is very muffled when free wheeling not like my carbon Dura ACE which really have a loud ratchet…help anyone??

have you gone on the shimano site and seen the exploded view of your wheel?
they have that on the site. it might help you see the problem better. is the axle broken? good luck.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
My LBS has pulled the wheel apart, grease was not thick, seal was fine, bearings fine...could not see a problem. I had original replaced and the replacement is the same. when the free hub body/spline bit is stopped....the wheel noticeably slows. Very Frustrating!!

Tassie Rider said:
My LBS has pulled the wheel apart, grease was not thick, seal was fine, bearings fine...could not see a problem. I had original replaced and the replacement is the same. when the free hub body/spline bit is stopped....the wheel noticeably slows. Very Frustrating!!

I'm thinking it's the cart bearings in the freehub, being slow or draggy or made to such close tolerances than when installed into the freehub the compression creates some sort of drag. After reading the posts on the 'other' forum, not really sure what it could be. Maybe just a 'sluggish' design. What is surprising is that I have built more than a few wheels onto 7800/7810/7850 hubs and they don't seem sluggish at all.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Shimano have advised that there is nothing wrong with wheels, that is how they are. They advised me to just ride them and the grease should dissipate and they should get faster. Not great when they feel 5-6 km's slower than my training wheels. Anyone want a cheap set of wheels???

TRENDING THREADS