• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shimano casettes on SRAM drivetrain? (Road)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I see that SRAM and Shimano drivetrains can, in most cases, work on the same wheelsets.

But can I use Shimano Ultegra casettes on a SRAM Force drivetrain?

Thanks for answers,

Halvor

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Halvor said:
I see that SRAM and Shimano drivetrains can, in most cases, work on the same wheelsets.

Thanks for answers,

Halvor

Sram and shimano 10s cogs are the same spacing, center cog to center cog. Interchange at will. The only 'issue' is putting sram cogsets onto DA 10s specific hubs, like the 7800/7810, the deep splined aluminum freehub one. Those are shimano 10s only.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Basically any Shimano/Sram cassette is suitable. Even in most cases with just a little adjustment campag 10 cassettes can be made to work suitably.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Halvor said:

Thanks for answers,

Halvor

I am using Dura-Ace Cassette on a Sram Rival 2009 Drivetrain without any problem.

A.W

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
SRAMano

I think I read this in the replies already, but Shimano and SRAM use the identical spacing of cogs so the derailleur tracks Shimano/SRAM or SRAM/Shimano perfectly either way.

This is slightly off topic, but related. I have been running:
- FSA compact crank with modified 52/36 FSA rings
- Mavic hub and now a PowerTap hub
- SRAM PG-1070 11/26 cassette
- SRAM PC-1070 chain (with a Wipperman link if you care)

It isn't flawless, but that is not a SRAM compatibility issue. Because the 52 ring has ramps to mesh with a 38 tooth inner, there is the need for a slight over throw on the front derailleur. How smooth it works is a fine line that depends solely on the mechanic.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm amazed how much you get for you money with SRAM. I'm still using 8 speed cassette, chains, etc, but I got these items much cheaper with SRAM vs Shimano and they are quite a bit lighter. I have definately made the switch to SRAM. Goodbye Shimano forever.

From my understanding you can put an 8 or 9 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub. I just bought some American Classic 10 spd hub wheels with Shimano spline, so I'm hoping.

Can't be saving on weight and money.

TRENDING THREADS