• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shimano DI2

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Haven't rode them yet, but according to my local bike shop, testrider.com, and any review that I have read, DI2 is "revolutionary". Are they that much better than the best mech. system (Campy super record) that nothing else is an option, cost not being a factor?

Anyone ride them and not see a great diff. from a good mech. system?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
what makes you think campy is the best mechanical group thats simply a matter of opinion. i have friends who have top level groups of shimano campy and sram many say if they could only have one its shimano or sometimes sram. just because campy is expensive and italian does not make it the best.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
as for di2 i have only heard positive reports from riders and written reviews too expensive for me though even 7900 is quite expensive which i would like to test.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
as for di2 i have only heard positive reports from riders and written reviews too expensive for me though even 7900 is quite expensive which i would like to test.

The DI2 pricing is nuts. If it comes down in the future, I would consider it

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
what makes you think campy is the best mechanical group thats simply a matter of opinion. i have friends who have top level groups of shimano campy and sram many say if they could only have one its shimano or sometimes sram. just because campy is expensive and italian does not make it the best.

Yeah, it's a matter of opinion. Some peps like the shimano or sram mechanical shifting system better, but from the construction, materials, bearings, and tolerance specs, campy super record is the best mechanical system

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Di2 shifting is perfect, all the time everytime. It is self trimming and does much of it's own set up. But yeah it is expensive.

Di2 is a real step up but your not going to lose a race because you dont have it. DA 7800 or New Ultegra are still the best value for money racing groupos.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Di2 shifting is perfect, all the time everytime. It is self trimming and does much of it's own set up. But yeah it is expensive.

Di2 is a real step up but your not going to lose a race because you dont have it. DA 7800 or New Ultegra are still the best value for money racing groupos.

+1 and at what point will UCI decide that it's expense precludes it's use in mass start racing? Not just the initial cost, but the legacy of Shimano milking cyclists for any parts or replacements? I love meaningful progress, but adding layers of technology when, as folks above have pointed out; you're not going to lose or win a race with it why should it be useful?

53 x 11 said:

It doesn't exactly 'set itself up'. It is complicated and very expensive. When you install one, that much is obvious. They have done their homework well, the instructions, the 'certification' gig, it's well thought out BUT it moves the chain around the cogs and chainrings. As somebody from CN reported, the shifting is more consistent over time but it isn't faster(no multiple cogs), it's fragile if ya fall on a lever or rear derailleur($1200 for a derailleur) and less intuitive then Red. Did I mention is gawdawful expensive?

Pretty whizbang.

forty four said:

7900 and SR are about the same $. Campagnolo has component gruppos the same price [oint as shimano and sram. Functionally, Campagnolo is superior in terms of FD trim and RD cog number selection. Plus the shift innards for Campagnolo are very simple. Kill a 7900 lever-buy another one. Kill a Campagnolo lever buy the innards or the body.

But use the one ya like. The frame and fork are much, MUCH more important that the stinkin shifters, after all.

I would rather have a nice frame with crappy components than a crappy frame with Di2.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
true about campy being serviceable but its hard to get parts my mechanic friend who likes campy is switching to something else because parts are expensive and in limited supply. campy is simple to work on the guys at my shop agree on that but they love working with dura ace to and dont much care for srams quality level comparatively. i have used my 7800 for a few years now with around 10000 miles a year in racing crashing idaho bad weather etc... i have never had to replace anything but chains and cassettes so for me im sold on shimano. as for shifting i cant say i dont use campy but friends of mine who do feel that shimano offers crisper shifting only one guy i know who has used both prefers campy. also shimano calipers are better and the crank is stiffer all 3 are competitive with each other it really comes down to preference im saving for 7900 i work at a bike shop so it will be wholesale or less if not for that i would just get anther kit of 7800. i will let everyone know how 7900 compares to 7800 i love 7800.

forty four said:
true about campy being serviceable but its hard to get parts my mechanic friend who likes campy is switching to something else because parts are expensive and in limited supply. campy is simple to work on the guys at my shop agree on that but they love working with dura ace to and dont much care for srams quality level comparatively. i have used my 7800 for a few years now with around 10000 miles a year in racing crashing idaho bad weather etc... i have never had to replace anything but chains and cassettes so for me im sold on shimano. as for shifting i cant say i dont use campy but friends of mine who do feel that shimano offers crisper shifting only one guy i know who has used both prefers campy. also shimano calipers are better and the crank is stiffer all 3 are competitive with each other it really comes down to preference im saving for 7900 i work at a bike shop so it will be wholesale or less if not for that i would just get anther kit of 7800. i will let everyone know how 7900 compares to 7800 i love 7800.

There are many distributors in the US that offer Campagnolo parts, components, etc. Some are pricey but lots of those(like shift lever assemblies) are things NOT offered at all by shimano or sram. BUT a bike shop that says Campagnolo is either hard to find, expensive(use a Veloce cogset, for instance) or difficult to work on is either being lazy or just hasn't taken the time to mess around with it.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
My LBS says the big improvement with Di2 is the FD. It is super-precise up and down and no more dropping chains. I gotta think though that it's terribly complicated. Isn't one of the pleasures of the bike its simplicity?

CycloErgoSum said:
My LBS says the big improvement with Di2 is the FD. It is super-precise up and down and no more dropping chains. I gotta think though that it's terribly complicated. Isn't one of the pleasures of the bike its simplicity?

I don't get it. I don't have a problem with my current front derailleur (Campy). I ratch it from one place to another. Works great. If the derailler is set up right, it does not rub. If it did then one click move the derailleur slightly. The system is pretty much bullet proof also. There is literally no problem to solve.

BroDeal said:
I don't get it. I don't have a problem with my current front derailleur (Campy). I ratch it from one place to another. Works great. If the derailler is set up right, it does not rub. If it did then one click move the derailleur slightly. The system is pretty much bullet proof also. There is literally no problem to solve.

Yep, Di2 does move the chain around, front and back. AND it self trims. Interesting that sram and shimano have gone back and forth with FD trim or not for their groups and now one that trims itself. I really never thought trimming the FD is some sort of huge chore when riding a multi gear bike.

a shimano rep actually said that you will be less fatigued when you ride Di2..cuz pushing those mechanical shift levers...it just wears you OUT!

Bike gadgets of today sometimes wears me out.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I think you would have to have your head examined to get the di2. Yes I'm sure it works great and the FD self trimming is a nice touch but is it worth the extra cash? Is it really going to make you ride any better? You might be able to make an argument for a TT bike where you don't have to change your position to change gears but only if you are losing by seconds and have the money to burn.

Last year I bought a new bike and had the choice between campy SR and durace or even red. I went with SR is just felt like better value for the money and more comfortable and a bit of bling. Not one problem with it after a year of riding and more then 10000 km.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I think you would have to have your head examined to get the di2. Yes I'm sure it works great and the FD self trimming is a nice touch but is it worth the extra cash? Is it really going to make you ride any better? You might be able to make an argument for a TT bike where you don't have to change your position to change gears but only if you are losing by seconds and have the money to burn.

Last year I bought a new bike and had the Nike Air Max Trainers choice between campy SR and durace or even red. I went with SR is just felt like better value for the money and more comfortable and a bit of bling. Not one problem with it after a year of riding and more then 10000 km.

TRENDING THREADS