• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

shimano ultegra or look keo max 2

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I really need new pedals,anyone have ultegra or look keo max 2 what are your thoughts on them.I have a pair of 105 pedals but I accidently dropped a 20 kg weight on them breaking one of the pedals.I like the look of the keo max but I have never used any look products.The ultegra pedal has some great reviews and I know I can trust them.Slightly edging towards the keo though because I would like a change and they are a bit lighter as well.But I have read that look pedals can creak and they need a lot of maintenance?If this is so Iwould go for the shimano.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I use the Ultegras. I have no complaints.

A couple of years ago, Look recalled many Keo's because the spindles were becomming disconnected from the platform resulting in some nasty falls.

A

Anonymous

Been using Look stuff for 20 years now...the Keo's are great as well...just great pedals...just one guy's opinion...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I'd go the Looks. My garage runs 7 pairs and the only problem was with a pair from the recall batch before they issued the recall.
(And I wish the Look problem was platforms detaching from axles as mentioned before - the axles were breaking clean through. They replaced the breakage within days and when the recall happened I had 3 pairs turned over at the LBS inside 90 minutes).

horizon27 said:
I really need new pedals,anyone have ultegra or look keo max 2 what are your thoughts on them.I have a pair of 105 pedals but I accidently dropped a 20 kg weight on them breaking one of the pedals.I like the look of the keo max but I have never used any look products.The ultegra pedal has some great reviews and I know I can trust them.Slightly edging towards the keo though because I would like a change and they are a bit lighter as well.But I have read that look pedals can creak and they need a lot of maintenance?If this is so Iwould go for the shimano.

Either shimano or 2010 Look as each has a steel plate on them reducing wear. 2009 LOOK didn't have these. I would look at Speedplay Zero as well. Does the same thing as the others but more serviceable, double sided, much more adjustable, cleat-wise, adjustable float, ability to buy 1 pedal if you fall and kill one.

TRENDING THREADS