• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shipping my bike to Europe (from the US)

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
so phil i dont suppose you have considered wrapping your bike in all you old riding kit , plonking it in a bike bag/ box and checking in with just hand carry on wearing a couple of layers of stuff assuming you are a skinny cyclist type
and there you go .dont go over the weight limits (check with airline .brace your dropouts with spacers undo rear deraileur and away you go )sell you old kit in europe or swap and come home with new either purchased or swapped or won (thats the best )new stuff ... has worked for me for last 25 years ....

KLM is free to take a bike international the last time i checked.

As far as shipping, it is usually cheaper to send it via US Postal if you can make the size requirements. DHL, Fedex and UPS are all good, but customs charges and handling fees for documents can get costly ... be sure to mention that the package is personal and the goods are not for re-sale.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
kenny79 said:
so phil i dont suppose you have considered wrapping your bike in all you old riding kit , plonking it in a bike bag/ box and checking in with just hand carry on wearing a couple of layers of stuff assuming you are a skinny cyclist type
and there you go .dont go over the weight limits (check with airline .brace your dropouts with spacers undo rear deraileur and away you go )sell you old kit in europe or swap and come home with new either purchased or swapped or won (thats the best )new stuff ... has worked for me for last 25 years ....

Thats how I did it coming back from China. No extra cost for me and I got a bike box I can use again and again.

TRENDING THREADS