• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

shorts question

May 23, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to find a pair of non-bib, lycra cycling shorts that do not have leg grippers. After a climb or on long rides, my quads tend to expand and those leg grippers cut off some circulation to the rest of my legs- which is somewhat uncomfortable.

Could anyone recommend a pair of affordable, comfortable shorts that do not have this problem?

Thanks.

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it...

The waist size is certainly correct, it's just the quads (around the leg grippers) that are too restricted!

Assos don't exactly fall into the affordable category. They also have a svelte cut. All of my Assos use a thick fabric, so they are somewhat constrictive compared to bibs that use a lighter fabric.

You could try something like Santini. The models I have by them use a thin, non-constrictive fabric and the grippers are pretty weak.

You might also try shorts from lots of makers to see if you can find a model that has larger legs relative to the waist.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cnovici said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it...

The waist size is certainly correct, it's just the quads (around the leg grippers) that are too restricted!

Well if you're big quad-ed then you might still have to buy a bigger pair of shorts than your wait size so your legs fit. They don't make custom to order that I'm aware of so you'll have to give something up to get your proper fit, or hire a seamstress that can work with lycra.

I would hit the Track sites (fixedgearfever.com or is it net?), they seem to have more big quad-ed riders than the average roadie. At least more options.

I know how you feel. I have more and more trouble finding shorts that fit around my quads. I have to buy a size up and this just does the trick. I am not fat and my legs are not huge. Shorts are being made tighter and longer. I am the same size today as I was 15 years ago. I am of average height and find that all shorts now have really long inseams. I have to hike them up to get them above my knees. I wish the manufacturers would make a pair of shorts for the legs of real humans and not for pros who have thinner legs or at least offer a few inseam lengths and a relaxed fit around the quads. I have found Pear Izumi have been the best for fit, but not by much.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
sugoi

I use Sugoi evolution shorts and bib for long rides. I have quads bigger than average and I have no problems with these shorts. I fold the leg grippers up (it is meant for it since you can read the brandname) so it doesn't pull the shorts down. I have tried Nalini, Pearl Izumi and Giordana but Sugoi has a better fit for my size. You should use bib shorts for climbing since you doesn't have that elastic at the waist that impairs your breathing. Got the tip from a cycling magazine and it seems logical.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Well if you're big quad-ed then you might still have to buy a bigger pair of shorts than your wait size so your legs fit. They don't make custom to order that I'm aware of so you'll have to give something up to get your proper fit, or hire a seamstress that can work with lycra.

I would hit the Track sites (fixedgearfever.com or is it net?), they seem to have more big quad-ed riders than the average roadie. At least more options.

Hey easy on the quads ElChingon ;) , I have used campy bibs that were all lycra and the castelli kiss bibs are just great but both have the grippers.