• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

shorts

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Does it really matter how "short" my cycling shorts are?
I usually ride in triathlon shorts that are quite short,but they fit well and I have no chaffing and are comfortable to ride 50 mi.
Is wearing anything but longer cycling shorts in bad taste?:confused:

A

Anonymous

dani4u said:
Does it really matter how "short" my cycling shorts are?
I usually ride in triathlon shorts that are quite short,but they fit well and I have no chaffing and are comfortable to ride 50 mi.

for road racing... well i guess its ok, if you must, but expect a few raised eyebrows...

actually no.. its a trifle camp

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sean Yates use to ride with quite short knicks. Looked a little strange. But I guess it depends on whether your a lady or a Man. If your a lady with nice legs, go for short. You will have heaps of guys surrounding you and thus breaking the wind for you. If your a guy, you will be fighting the wind alone.

Depends on how short is short. Hot pants short then you might have a problem. Road shorts these days are often ridiculously long. You can blame Armstrong for this fashion crime. I like shorts (bibs) that end more than one freakin' inch from the top of my knee.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Not to hijack this thread, but what make and model of shorts do you guys prefer?

I am still using some sugino shorts from a club team I belonged to a few years back, however, I am looking to buy some additional quality seatwear.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If Styleman was still employed at Bicycling magazine, I'm sure he would have a few choice words. Alpe's answer hits the nail on the head? Male or female? If the latter, there's another thread in this section that you may want to contribute to. :D

psychlist said:
Not to hijack this thread, but what make and model of shorts do you guys prefer?
On the high end, my Assos bib shorts are the best there is, was, or ever will be.

On the other end, the Performance Ultra is a surprisingly good short for the money. Heads above their cheaper stuff.

elapid said:
Male or female? If the latter, there's another thread in this section that you may want to contribute to. :D
Now, now!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
psychlist said:

I am still using some sugino shorts from a club team I belonged to a few years back, however, I am looking to buy some additional quality seatwear.

I no longer compromise on shorts for outside riding and believe spending the money on high-end bibs is worth every cent, at least my b-u-t-t* thinks so. I prefer bibs to shorts. I have three different makes of high-end bibs: Assos FI Mille S5, Giordana FormaRed, and 2XU. My favourite is the Giordana, but the three-quarter length 2XU are also great for the colder weather up here in Canada. I prefer the chamois in these brands because they're not as bulky as some like Pearl Izumi.

Alpe - I couldn't resist!

*Really mods - is anyone really offended by the word b-u-t-t?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

I checked and the shorts I have right now that are most comfortable are Giordana (not sure of the style but they are high end).

I have had assos shorts in the past that were very nice indeed.

dani4u said:

It depends who you are riding with. If you are riding with road racers then they will think you are a total Fred, although they probably won't say anything.

Wearing short cycling shorts is like riding with no shirt on. Or like riding around town wearing a time trial helmet or with a disc wheel. Only tri-athletes will overlook it. Road racers will think you are a chump.

I don't know what fitness or recreational riders will think. They are all Freds anyway. :D

If you are comfortable, and aren't a road racer, then don't worry about what anybody else thinks.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I miss my bibs:(
I'm currently using Pearl Izumi .The last pair they had on the rack in my size.
I think they used to be called Attack shorts. Now they gave them a new name and raised the price.
Working up the nerve to loosen up the wallet for a new pair of bibs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
It depends who you are riding with. If you are riding with road racers then they will think you are a total Fred, although they probably won't say anything.

Wearing short cycling shorts is like riding with no shirt on. Or like riding around town wearing a time trial helmet or with a disc wheel. Only tri-athletes will overlook it. Road racers will think you are a chump.

I don't know what fitness or recreational riders will think. They are all Freds anyway. :D

If you are comfortable, and aren't a road racer, then don't worry about what anybody else thinks.

I am a road racer and i Love when people think i am a Fred. In fact when i race in the midwest i actually race in different gear(tri shoes, cheap helmet, 8 speed freewheel etc) it is alot of fun and the locals get quite upset when you beat them. Poor dears ;)

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for the gut reactions and feelings.
I guess I am still new to the biking community and thats why I asked.
Sporting no logos and shorts being skin tight lycra, I myself dont believe
Its no big deal if a girl or guy shows skin instead of skin tight lycra.
Any way, while on rides with my fellow bikers I shall remember what you all said and will wear what is appropriate for that ride.

TRENDING THREADS