• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Andy skip the Tour next year & do the Giro instead?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wallace said:
As long as the goal is to have both brothers do well, neither of them will win. They need to be a lot smarter and lot more ruthless in their tactics--and one of them has to totally sacrifice his chances in support of the other. Until they do that, all they're going to do is have race results like this year's LBL and this year's Tour.

In one of the interviews after LBL, Frank answered the question of why they didn't try to work over Gilbert by saying something to the effect that after what he saw in this year's classics, when weaker riders teamed up to beat Cancellara, he and Andy decided they didn't want to win that way. Well, guess what: that's how you win races. It's called tactics. If they've learned from this Tour that the one-two punch thing isn't working, then they're on the way to learning how to win a GT. If not, not.

This. I also think Andy needs to actually win a stage race next year. A real one. Without his brother on the team either.

EDIT: Working my way through the thread, I see lots of folks made the same point. He needs to learn how to win.

And Bavarian Rider, I think you need to put down whatever you are smoking. Finishing 2nd in the Tour is not better than winning the Giro or Vuelta.

sultanofhyd said:
When featherweights like Rujano can do decent TT's there is no reason why the Schlecks cant improve theirs. Their physique is not a problem.
Their physique in fact does seem to be the problem. Andy should be able to put out at least the same amount of Watts as Evans, but the brothers just can't get their aerodynamics right, no matter how hard they try.

Publicus said:
This. I also think Andy needs to actually win a stage race next year. A real one. Without his brother on the team either.

EDIT: Working my way through the thread, I see lots of folks made the same point. He needs to learn how to win.

And Bavarian Rider, I think you need to put down whatever you are smoking. Finishing 2nd in the Tour is not better than winning the Giro or Vuelta.

From comments they have made it seems they will always be on the same team at least until Frank retires.

It will depend on the Contador verdict. if Conti is not banned, he will ride the tour and skip the Giro next year as mentioned in an interview. Andy can never win the tour against a fresh Conti, so he should target the Giro and atleast try to win it.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Andy lost the 2011 TdF in the Pyrenees. He should have attacked since he is not a top 5 time trailer. Easy to advise after the 2011 TdF, but the truth remains. If Andy thought :57 minutes was a sufficient lead heading into the final TT, then I would like to smoke the same quality weed. Cut it more than a wee too close. Guess he and Frank can binge on brownies and other surfeit, eh? But, for just less than a year.