• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Andy skip the Tour next year & do the Giro instead?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Race some of the 1 week races and try and win them, I find it funny that the "2nd best stage racer in the world" has yet to win a stage race, it's like saying Flecha is the "2nd best monument rider in the world".

BYOP88 said:
Race some of the 1 week races and try and win them, I find it funny that the "2nd best stage racer in the world" has yet to win a stage race, it's like saying Flecha is the "2nd best monument rider in the world".

Second best has to be Evans or Basso. (I think.) Menchov isn't at their level. Nibali may also be up there in a couple of years, and who knows what a 2010-level Anton is capable of if he stays on his bike.

As for Andy, I think a reconsideration is definitely in order, but I can't speculate what his next move should be. Maybe trying to win another race would be a good start. Will that be The Giro or Vuelta? I dunno. A win would help, though--even if it's Suisse or California (not a GT).

Menchov might not be at AS's level but he has 2 Vuelta's and Giro to his name. Nibs has a Vuelta, at the moment, AS has LBL and some white jerseys to his name.

IMO AS is better when FS is not riding with him. Ride the Giro for himself, help FS in the TDF.

People underestimate Menchov because he alternates between being world class and apparently not giving a damn. Let's not forget he was 3rd at the Tour last year and he won the Giro the year before that. I'd wait to see how he does at the Vuelta before ruling him out as the current second best GT rider.

Carols said:
It as dreadfully embaressing display IMO, especially for someone who said:
"I'll start last tomorrow, and my motivation is great, my legs are super so I'm confident I can actually keep this jersey until Paris. 57 seconds is a lot, and when you have the yellow jersey it gives you wings..."

Overconfidence instead of Hard Work, Andy's annual downfall....

this is the best post I've read all season !

I think it will depend on a few things. First what happens with Contador. Next, what the course designs are like in the Giro and Tour next year. And third, what his team looks like next year.

I do think he can definitely win the Tour someday. He showed more determination this year than ever before, and I think that's going to help him in the future. He's only 26, and is entering the prime of his career. The only way I think he won't win a Tour is if the next several years are like during the time Indurain was winning, with several very long ITTs. I can see him getting a little better at TT, but not if he's going to face 150km in the race.

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
More full gas

Andy races full gas only three weeks (TDF) and one day (L-B-L) a year.
Contador and Evans are racing full gas from spring to autumn every year.
Winning is a habit, if you dont do it often enough you forget how to do it.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I think his first goal now should be to actually win a stage race. Doesn't matter which one, even the Tour of Luxembourg counts. Get used to competing for a win, get used to actual racing. The guy is far too talented for the limited schedule he is racing. He always says recovering is one of his strengths. Well, then he should be able to do more races without it affecting his Tour. So maybe he can actually try to win something outside July.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
I think his first goal now should be to actually win a stage race. Doesn't matter which one, even the Tour of Luxembourg counts. Get used to competing for a win, get used to actual racing. The guy is far too talented for the limited schedule he is racing. He always says recovering is one of his strengths. Well, then he should be able to do more races without it affecting his Tour. So maybe he can actually try to win something outside July.

He won Fleche du Sud ;)

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Paris-Nice, Ardennes, California, Dauphiné, Tour de France, Italian August classics, Vuelta, Lombardy.

Just, you know, race to win. He'll teach his body to be in the red more often, he'll improve his descending skills, he'll be in a ton of different tactical situations where he'll gain experience. He'll make a palmares for himself, which will also turn a 2nd at the Tour from a failure into a pretty nice result.

Was going to say something similar with a plus of Fränk and Andy not racing with each other for a year.

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I think it will depend on a few things. First what happens with Contador. Next, what the course designs are like in the Giro and Tour next year. And third, what his team looks like next year.

I do think he can definitely win the Tour someday. He showed more determination this year than ever before, and I think that's going to help him in the future. He's only 26, and is entering the prime of his career. The only way I think he won't win a Tour is if the next several years are like during the time Indurain was winning, with several very long ITTs. I can see him getting a little better at TT, but not if he's going to face 150km in the race.

I agree, as you mentioned he is 26 and there's enough time to gain more experience and improve further. On the other sight I would be worried from Andy's perspective because this Tour showed once again you need to be top whole time and nothing else, you can't make mistakes. Cadel was top for 3 weeks, Andy is never top when there's an ITT. Question is: How likely is it for Andy to win the Tour in next years, seeing the other opponents who will all probably compete next year, without the ability to do an 'okay' time trial? Winning the Vuelta or the Giro is possible without being very good at that but seeing the other riders and high value of the TdF I doubt if there will be a lot of space in France next 2 years. At first I thought okay maybe he could have attacked more but perhaps there's no other choice and improve on TT point.

Agree that he does need to win a stage race. Even a 1-week race would be a great win for him. It would help him get used to winning. There's no reason to think he couldn't peak enough to win P-N, T-A, or Romandie, then rest some, and have his big peak at the Tour.

olekrio said:
Contador and Evans are racing full gas from spring to autumn every year.Winning is a habit, if you don't do it often enough you forget how to do it.
Somewhat true, but there are exceptions. Armstrong raced for three weeks a year for almost a decade...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Agree that he does need to win a stage race. Even a 1-week race would be a great win for him. It would help him get used to winning. There's no reason to think he couldn't peak enough to win P-N, T-A, or Romandie, then rest some, and have his big peak at the Tour.

Somewhat true, but there are exceptions. Armstrong raced for three weeks a year for almost a decade...

Never thought I'd be "defending" Armstrong but he won, Schleck doesn't.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It does sound like a good idea. Must suck for Andy for the past three years to look over his shoulder to see someone else wear the jersey he wants.

But for real, the Schlecks really need to better their TT'ing.

Maybe they can divide the Giro and Vuelta. Andy does the Giro, and Frank does the Vuelta.

K-0tic said:
I agree, as you mentioned he is 26 and there's enough time to gain more experience and improve further. On the other sight I would be worried from Andy's perspective because this Tour showed once again you need to be top whole time and nothing else, you can't make mistakes. Cadel was top for 3 weeks, Andy is never top when there's an ITT. Question is: How likely is it for Andy to win the Tour in next years, seeing the other opponents who will all probably compete next year, without the ability to do an 'okay' time trial? Winning the Vuelta or the Giro is possible without being very good at that but seeing the other riders and high value of the TdF I doubt if there will be a lot of space in France next 2 years. At first I thought okay maybe he could have attacked more but perhaps there's no other choice and improve on TT point.

let's say Contador is out for 2 years -Andy will be behind Evans, whose victory is only going to consolidate him like never before-then there is Sanchez & Menchov-all superior TT'ers....BTW-has Andy looked around and ever noticed the other younger riders coming up? specially Nibali, which I believe he's returning to the tour next year- then Kreuziger, Rolland,Sagan, Rein Taaramae, Geraint Thomas- all those guys with good ITT skills who can develop their climbing abilities to hang on with the best in the mountains........

what is he going to do then?