• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Contador Aim For Giro-Tour again and when?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When Should Contador aim for Giro/Tour?

• BE A FREAKING GOD AND WIN THE 3 GT's (vino-level)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure in 2014 or 2015 he will go for all three. If he can avoid injury, there is no reason he shouldn't at least podium them all even if he only wins one or two. In any case, he should race the triple to emulate Sastre's awesome career.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that Contador will be willing to push himself and race when he knows he wont be near at his best like in 2011. He should focus on winning the Tour first never mind the Giro :p

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Omg I hope you are not serious :D

Secure what you have first. The Tour really is not that easy to win tbh, apparently it is the hardest race in the world in fact. Fact is that he has not won it for the past two years so we have to wait and see.

Froome19 said:
Secure what you have first. The Tour really is not that easy to win tbh, apparently it is the hardest race in the world in fact. Fact is that he has not won it for the past two years so we have to wait and see.

In fact he has not won it for the past 4 years but we (all sane cycling fans) know he will have by far the biggest chance to win if he is at his best. Of course things like crashes, bonks, mechanicals and crosswinds can spoil the party

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
In fact he has not won it for the past 4 years but we (all sane cycling fans) know he will have by far the biggest chance to win if he is at his best. Of course things like crashes, bonks, mechanicals and crosswinds can spoil the party
Firstly no one knows how good Contador is after his ban. His Vuelta performance certainly would not have sufficed to win the Tour. Also there are new contenders and a variety of factors. Without getting into a scrap riddled with subjectiveness a Contador whilst being likely can be prevented by a lot of factors and is nowhere near a certainty until we see going up against his rivals.

Froome19 said:
I doubt that Contador will be willing to push himself and race when he knows he wont be near at his best like in 2011. He should focus on winning the Tour first never mind the Giro :p

Alberto finished fifth in that tour 3'57" back. He lost 1'20" in the first stage. 2'37" remains. He lost 24" in the TT. If he had had a better team they could've limited it to 10". 2'23" remains. He lost 1'35" when he bonked/cracked/whatever it was on Galibier. That leaves us with 48". Can we be certain that he wouldn't have been able to take 48" on Evans if he hadn't been injured, hadn't crashed a dozen times, hadn't been forced to attack and waste energy in a descent??

And don't forget that Giro was a super hard one, Alberto didn't hold back one bit (he could've just followed after Etna if he had known he could ride the tour too) and it were stressful times for him of course.

So I do think he could do the double.

Froome19 said:
Firstly no one knows how good Contador is after his ban. His Vuelta performance certainly would not have sufficed to win the Tour. Also there are new contenders and a variety of factors. Without getting into a scrap riddled with subjectiveness a Contador whilst being likely can be prevented by a lot of factors and is nowhere near a certainty until we see going up against his rivals.

I would like to know then why would Alberto be worse now after his ban? He was only out for 6/12 months.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I would like to know then why would Alberto be worse now after his ban? He was only out for 6/12 months.

I wasn't the one worried about how he would perform at the Vuelta ;). I think you could find enough people who were worried about just how good Contador would be when he came back.

Froome19 said:
I wasn't the one worried about how he would perform at the Vuelta ;). I think you could find enough people who were worried about just how good Contador would be when he came back.

Yea because he was out for a while and he just came back so it was only logical it took him some time to get back to his best, I believe he will be great in the tour, maybe as great as in tour 2009 but will he be great enough to win I do not know

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto finished fifth in that tour 3'57" back. He lost 1'20" in the first stage. 2'37" remains. He lost 24" in the TT. If he had had a better team they could've limited it to 10". 2'23" remains. He lost 1'35" when he bonked/cracked/whatever it was on Galibier. That leaves us with 48". Can we be certain that he wouldn't have been able to take 48" on Evans if he hadn't been injured, hadn't crashed a dozen times, hadn't been forced to attack and waste energy in a descent??

And don't forget that Giro was a super hard one, Alberto didn't hold back one bit (he could've just followed after Etna if he had known he could ride the tour too) and it were stressful times for him of course.

So I do think he could do the double.
Agreed it is certainly not out of the realms of possibility. Yet at the same time he was not at his best in the 2011 Tour was he?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Next year he should go for Tour and in 2014(if parcours are good) he should try a Triple.I believe Giro-Tour is really possible for him,but Triple is another level and I want him to try it:)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yea because he was out for a while and he just came back so it was only logical it took him some time to get back to his best, I believe he will be great in the tour, maybe as great as in tour 2009 but will he be great enough to win I do not know

Are you kidding me? :eek:

Tour'09 form is MORE THAN ENOUGH TO WIN ;)

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The road race course itself is too easy for.contador. His rainbow opportunity is in the tt, but that ain't no triple.crown.
It would be closest to the triple crown in long time and first with itt (if I'm right). Not bad either.
Needless to say the G-T double alone would be great achievement itself.
He can go even further and target another double in September.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
silverrocket said:
I think that would be a good reason to try the double in 2014, since he'll want to be at peak for the WC, and so won't want to ride the Vuelta in 2014.
Tour - Vuelta double isn't the way to peak for WC.
Giro - Vuelta, probably best.
Giro - Tour, possible under certain circumstances.

So, he might surprise us all and go for Triple already in 2013.. Nice profile in Tuscany.
And then in Spain, he can do it with itt.