• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should GT young rider classification be changed?

The age limit has been 25 for some time. Recently many cyclists have reached the top very early, and not four out of last six GTs have seen young rider winner winning overall. Even more, this year's Giro had five young riders in top 9. To think it more, two-time GT winner Bernal is still eligible next year, and last year's Tour winner Pogacar is eligible for this year and two years after that.

So should there be change in age limits, like U23 (which is limit in World Championship level)? Or should it be rookie competition?

Can't you just combine the two? Both under 25 and has to be one of your first 3 GT's or something?

Might be confusing but I don't think it should immediately be changed to 23 in a knee-jerk reaction.All it takes is to have a ridiculously dominant pantheon again (think Nadal, Federer and Djokovic) and that 25 won't look so bad.

Does anyone really care for the young rider competition? It seems so random to me and always has. Why not have an old rider competition as well? And a tall and short rider competition?
I think there is some value in having jerseys. Most riders seem to like to get to wear them and the youth jersey highlights a positive quality. It presents the wearer as a prostpect, a talent, a promising youngster. A jersey for older riders would simply present them as being too old to follow the main competition anymore. Similar with tall and short riders. Nobody is going to give you a pat on the back for that ("you did pretty well... for a midget").

Point is that I wouldn't immediately get rid of a jersey that is regarded with positivity and somewhat respected.

bring back the intergiro

but seriously, make it something that riders can actually target (does anyone target white jerseys in GTs these days? have they been targeted at all?) instead of being a byproduct of a very good GC position
I vaguely remember some white jersey "battles" in earlier days when they were like 8-15th in GC.

Cunego vs Fothen the biggest one IIRC.

You also had Fignon, Berzin, Pantani, Ullrich, Cunego, Contador, Schleck, Quintana and Aru fighting for and even winning GTs before they turned 26. It looked "bad" at one point in this race, but in the end only one of the young guns, arguably the best among them, ended up in the top 3. Maybe make it a U24 competition, so one rider can't win too many of them.

The assault of young riders that we've seen over the last couple of years is unprecedented. Two of three best GT riders are youngsters: Pogacar (22) and Bernal (24). They are not just the future, they are the present. Add to it supremely talented guys like Evenepoel, Ganna, Almeida. There are also Vlasov, Hindley. Now young jersey GT competition makes little sense but in a few years guys from this dominant generation will cross 25 and then it will make a lot of sense!

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I think the classification should be won by a rider only once during the history of the race. For eg. If Bernal has won the Young rider jersey before he should not be allowed to compete thereafter for that classification. This would set a different battle for the young rider.
That sounds good on paper but it would be quite absurd if in this years Tour Pogacar finishes the race in front of some 25 y.o. but that 25 y.o. wins white. Wouldn't it kind of defy the entire point of the youth classification if the winner is arguebly not the best young talent in the race?

I like the U23 idea. The young riders classification has been fought out between guys nowhere near the podium in the past as well and I honestly don't mind if that happens again. The way it is now it feels like a completely unnecessary gimmick nobody cares about. And besides the fact that it doesn't seem to have any value with the current rules, nobody sees guys like Bernal as young talents anymore anyway. And Bernal isn't even in his final year where he is eligible for the classification.

I seem to remember Pierre Latour winning a TDF white jersey in his last year of eligibility while finishing outside of the top ten just three years ago. It really should be a temporary problem, although I wouldn't mind the classification being scrapped altogether tbh.

TRENDING THREADS