• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should I coach a new program for middle and high school?

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
l have been an 'enthusiast' since 1988 but only took up cycling real miles 7-8 uears ago. I have coached MMA and boxing for 6 years and my athletes went all over the globe. I also have alot of experience with that age group. I read alot of training articles and have started to regiment my program. My question is does anyone have any experience with scholastic cycling? I'm not talking about creating Team Sky just interested on what it's like. Thanks.

When dealing with children in a school sponsored setting you'd likely need the appropriate credentials and certifications. Understand and obey all the laws. And make sure you are covered by the school's liability insurance and internal policies.
I'm sure it can be enjoyable and rewarding, but there is also a lot of red tape, rules, and regulations.

Jay

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I went to a presentation from NICA, the governing body of scholastic mountain biking and it looks like there are many people wanting to coach. I may get certified as a coach but realistically, I am not an administrator. I would like to act as a motivator and actually ride with the kids. in my other sport, I always participated as much as possible to be able to help push them with their fitness and technique. Im most excited that the US is going to start a new generation of cycling by creating a formal program at young ages. the main thing that can help people reach an international level.

Teaching poor technique is worse than teaching no technique in many cases. I would really consider doing coaching qualifications, especially as mountain biking is extremely technical and a good grounding in basic technique at an early age will do wonders for potential racers.

This isn't to put you off, I think anyone who wants to give back and help young athletes deserves huge praise, but cycling is more than just fitness and motivation. I have friends in the UK who have gone through coaching courses and they have all found them to be very good.

TRENDING THREADS