• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Lance lose his 7 Tours

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What should happen to Lances results

• He didnt dope non issue....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 14, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Yes strip them all. Just don't put a name in 1st place. The fantom winner.

That way the other dopers aren't given titles they no more deserve than Lance, while having the later's name erased, scratched-off and ultimately extinguished.

A cycling damnatio memorae. Tally ho!

A cycling damnatio memorae.

Cheers, Rhubroma. Sounds drastic, but it's exactly what I had in mind. Maybe a fitting gesture.

"Latin term used to describe a variety of ancient Roman processes dealing with individuals judged unfit to be members of a community. Such undesirables include traitors, would-be tyrants" . . . .

Pass it on

Game theoretically, they should leave the first spot to the highest ranked rider who claims it. As not many later awarded wins were welcomed ("I want to win the race on the bike, not in court", dixit Schleck, Pereiro, ... ), and as there is no direct financial benefit, few doped riders would make that claim out of fear for revenge from the stripped off rider. Only the pure of heart will dare to claim the win. Then let's see who shows up...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Scatto said:
Game theoretically, they should leave the first spot to the highest ranked rider who claims it. As not many later awarded wins were welcomed ("I want to win the race on the bike, not in court", dixit Schleck, Pereiro, ... ), and as there is no direct financial benefit, few doped riders would make that claim out of fear for revenge from the stripped off rider. Only the pure of heart will dare to claim the win. Then let's see who shows up...

Ha - well said. I was thinking along the same lines.
Invite all the riders who took part in 99, then say this yellow jersey goes to the rider who says he did not dope in that event. The dopers will sit on their hands as they would get outed by their peers if they tried to claim it.
Re do that scenario for all Tours.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
benlondon said:
One characteristic of Armstrong is that he's been completely unwavering in his denial of doping. If he's prepared to admit that, like 80 percent of the pro peleton at the time, he was doping, then I think his wins should stay with an asterisk. If not they should all be struck from the records but with no winner (as generally the rest of the GC podium was also doping). In 2005, for example, you have to go down to 7th place on GC before you get to a rider, Cadel Evans, who most people consider to be clean.

sartoris said:
Nonsensical reasoning. Like if I rob a bank and never get caught, but if I admit my being guilty I get away with it, or at least with part of the money. Just ludicrous.
Actually, it's quite a fine idea, if used as part of a truth and reconciliation process of some sort. Many people attribute the highly unlikely success of South Africa in moving on from Apartheid to just this very thing. In their truth and reconciliation, the rule was, if you appeared and testified and spoke the truth, you'd be immune from prosecution for your crimes. Those who continued to lie and stonewall, on the other hand, were fair game. Maybe cycling could benefit by something like this.

Dr. Maserati said:
Ha - well said. I was thinking along the same lines.
Invite all the riders who took part in 99, then say this yellow jersey goes to the rider who says he did not dope in that event. The dopers will sit on their hands as they would get outed by their peers if they tried to claim it.
Re do that scenario for all Tours.

Problem is, not every rider is as clued in as you might think. They have their suspicions just like we do, but can they say with certainty who is doping and who does it consistently? And how reliable is that information?

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
benlondon said:
One characteristic of Armstrong is that he's been completely unwavering in his denial of doping. If he's prepared to admit that, like 80 percent of the pro peleton at the time, he was doping, then I think his wins should stay with an asterisk. If not they should all be struck from the records but with no winner (as generally the rest of the GC podium was also doping). In 2005, for example, you have to go down to 7th place on GC before you get to a rider, Cadel Evans, who most people consider to be clean.
That's a very good point. I'll qualify my vote & statement regarding the asterisk to incorporate these conditions.