• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Rabobank send Freire to the Tour?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Title says it all really.

Yes, because:
- they're not going to win the Tour, not with Menchov and not with Gesink,
- they should therefore concentrate on winning stages,
- something that Freire can do with hardly any help.

No, because:
- they have two GC riders who are going to need all the help they can get,
- Freire is not enough a 'pure' sprinter to win from Farrar and Cavendish (or Greipel?),
- Rabobank should make choices.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree that Freire will struggle to beat out the likes of an on-form Cav and Farrar in a straight sprint, but it is by no means impossible. He's demonstrated in the past that he can climb better than just about any other top-level sprinter out there, so I think he should have a good shot at winning a stage in either a long break in the third week or a sprint from a reduced bunch on a hilly stage with a flat-ish run in.

I think Rabo have got to take him, to be honest. He's their best chance at a stage win, and I would honestly be surprised to see Gesink or Menchov even podium. Menchov never seems to go well at the TdF.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I agree that Freire will struggle to beat out the likes of an on-form Cav and Farrar in a straight sprint, but it is by no means impossible. He's demonstrated in the past that he can climb better than just about any other top-level sprinter out there, so I think he should have a good shot at winning a stage in either a long break in the third week or a sprint from a reduced bunch on a hilly stage with a flat-ish run in.

I think Rabo have got to take him, to be honest. He's their best chance at a stage win, and I would honestly be surprised to see Gesink or Menchov even podium. Menchov never seems to go well at the TdF.

+1 What he says!!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

Yep, that's it for me.

A

Anonymous

Depends what his targets are I suppose. If it fits in with peaking for the Worlds, why not.

He's obviously showing great form thus far so it would be the smart thing for Rabo to do. As stated earlier Oscar is a low maintenance sprinter who doesn't require an entire leadout train. He's resourceful enough that he can find ways to get results. Plus he's one of my fav's and I take immense pleasure when he does well!:)

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
He's already starting at the Giro and probably the Vuelta for the Worlds, so I think that they should leave him out of the squad. Also in a flat stage and a a straight sprint he is not fast enough for a Cavendish in form. And I also believe that rabo should fully go for the GC. Because when Menchov has the giro form of last year in this tour, he could be the main rival for Contador but with a stronger team then AC has.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

Agreed. Let me also add that he won the points classification in 08. I don't think he can beat any of top sprinters straight out, but as already pointed out he could win a reduced sprint after a hilly stage and could gather some points through intermediate sprints. They won't win the Tour with any of their contenders, at least not this year, so send him with green jersey aspirations. After all, Cav wouldn't mind; he said something once like if anybody is going to beat him, he would prefer it be Freire.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Friere does seem to be a well-liked rider, both among fans and in the peloton, and I'd certainly like to see him do well at the Tour again. As Angliru said, he's a guy who doesn't need any help to go and win stages, he's very good at picking the right wheel (see M-SR this year), and in general seems to be one of the tactically sharpest riders in the bunch.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Freire's doing the Giro, as it starts in Holland and he wants to do it at least once before his career is out.

If he wants to take a record 4th World title (which he does), he can't afford to do the Tour as well.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i like freire a lot but if the rabo team is bringing two gc riders, he does not belong on the team.

or the condition for riding the tour is he hunts on his own. something he's very good at.

as it is there will be some tension and competition between gesink and menchov for who is the top gc rider. any further spreading thin the available resource is nor smart imo.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Suppose they did bring Freire and both Gesink and Menchov end in the top 10 or even the top 8. If Freire was a typical sprinter, this would be a shame, but because of the type of man he is, it seems less serious. Still Rabobank is a 'top-heavy' team with talented riders who have different goals. They're becoming like Mapei or Telekom. If they completely focus on the GC, I'm convinced that they can win a podium spot; I firmly believe that Menchov is a better GT rider than Sastre, Evans, F. Schleck and Armstrong.

Jamsque said:

Nah, I don't agree. Behind Contador it's an open battle IMO. Gesink and Menchov can reach anything from 2nd to 15th. Name one stage racer who is clearly stronger than Menchov?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Menchov certainly has Grand Tour chops, after all he's won two and a half of them, but his record at the Tour de France leaves a lot to be desired. Nine starts, seven finishes, and only twice inside the top 10. On paper he should be up there every year, he climbs well and has a very strong TT, but he seems to struggle to put it all together. He won the Giro last year by riding a very conservative and defensive race, and I don't think he'll be able to get away with that at the Tour. Once the attacks start coming in the mountains from the likes of Contador and the Shleck brothers I would be really surprised if he can respond well. If he rides well he could be in the mix for a podium spot along with Sastre, Evans, Wiggins and Old Man Armstrong, but I'd be surprised.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
but I'd be surprised.
and i wouldn't.

name another current gt rider besides berto who won or podiumed in all 3 gts including the tour. none i know of. his inconsistency in the tour i think is related to something else - mental state would be my guess.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
back to freire... it's not an easy call whether to bring him to the queen event of all grand tours. my logic would be that if you go to a piano competition you wouldn't want to send a violinist though a brilliant one and also a musician.

gesink/menchov pair is too good a combination to spoil their chance for a gt podium. in fact i believe gesink is potentially a better climber than menchov who can challenge a. schleck if he learns to ride upright and smarter.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Menchov...won the Giro last year by riding a very conservative and defensive race, and I don't think he'll be able to get away with that at the Tour. Once the attacks start coming in the mountains from the likes of Contador and the Shleck brothers I would be really surprised if he can respond well. If he rides well he could be in the mix for a podium spot along with Sastre, Evans, Wiggins and Old Man Armstrong, but I'd be surprised.
Actually, Menchov's tactics in that Giro seemed very well suited for the Tour. The Giro is usually much more built for surprises; Menchov dominated it in a manner that is rare for Italy, but hardly for France. With the confidence he had in the Giro, he should be able to come a long way; I think Python is right in pointing to his mental state.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Rabo were one stage away from disaster in le tour last year, it might be smarter for them to take Oscar and bet on him to win them a stage or two than to hope for a high GC placing.

pedaling squares said:
Rabo were one stage away from disaster in le tour last year, it might be smarter for them to take Oscar and bet on him to win them a stage or two than to hope for a high GC placing.
Of course they can hope for a high GC placing... they have two potential podium finishers with them. It would be quite strange not to try to realize that potential. They can't do any worse than last year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
python said:
name another current gt rider besides berto who won or podiumed in all 3 gts including the tour. none i know of. his inconsistency in the tour i think is related to something else - mental state would be my guess.

Carlos Sastre.

Also, officially Menchov has not done it. His best tour finish is 4th, but with an 'empty' 3rd place in front of him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
^ ...that's 3rd in logic world.

theyoungest said:
Nah, I don't agree. Behind Contador it's an open battle IMO. Gesink and Menchov can reach anything from 2nd to 15th. Name one stage racer who is clearly stronger than Menchov?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
To be honoust I really doubt if Wiggins or Armstrong are of the same level as Menchov/Gesink

Last year they finished 3 and 4 mainly because of the poor form of Menchov, Sastre and Evans, they weren't even close to good form.

I agree. Menchov has the best resume after AC (and LA but he is past it) in terms of GTs, yet some people totally disregard him. Last year he rode brilliantly at the Giro and was obviously tired at the tour. At the vuelta 07' he was again at his best (his best 2 performances imo). In 2008 his tour had a lot of bad luck, otherwise he looked very strong.

Gesink to has made huge progress over the last couple of seasons. Last year's vuelta a crash took his podium place away.

Menchov, evans and sastre are on a different level to wiggins.

I agree with python. IMO at his best the only riders who can outclimb gesink are the AC and maybe the schlecks.

---anyways back to the topic at hand. Yes Friere will want to be fit at the WC this year, he is a great chance there. And with the Giro... well I doubt he will be at the tour.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Carlos Sastre.

Also, officially
if you going to use the 'officially' language than berto has never won his first tour.

let's get out of the nitpicking shadow to suit ones opinions and operate with accepted the facts.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
python said:
if you going to use the 'officially' language than berto has never won his first tour.

let's get out of the nitpicking shadow to suit ones opinions and operate with accepted the facts.

Chill out. Not every comment is a personal attack against your favourite rider.

Like I said, no-one is questioning Menchov's GT credentials in general, but he is yet to put in a really strong performance at the Tour de France. There are plenty of guys who have won the Giro and the Vuelta and never come close to winning the Tour. Certainly this could be the year that changes that.

As for Gesink, he is something of an unknown quantity to me. His climbing prowess is talked up a lot, I'll be interested to see how well he goes after two weeks of hard racing.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Chill out. Not every comment is a personal attack against your favourite rider.
there is nothing to chill out about because i never mentioned anything about my favourite rider in this thread's context
i only challenged your glaring inconsistency in logic with the examples you gave.

by your logic berto never won his first tour. also by your logic sastre never podiumed in all three gts. you conveniently or out of ignorance put sastre as the podium holder whilst ignoring essentially the same fact for another rider.

seems like making logical leaps suits your preconceived opinions.

i will take that into consideration when i read your next post about wiggins.