Should Sky have waited when Valverde fell?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Sky have waited?

  • Normally not but since they caused it, yes.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Walkman said:
What's so funny about being wrong?

Read the interviews Evans did during the Tour and you'll see.
yeah, last year climbing Galibier evans also got a problem with his bike, dind't he? :D

And now seriously, anyone can claim Valverde&movistar plays unsportifly
they are from the school of the so-called "monks" (echavarri&unzue) banesto, reynolds, Indurain, etc. They have huge ethic and large tradition in cycling.

I think Nicolas Portal feels embarrassed now because he betrayed that spirit and cycling unwritten laws (he is an ex-caisse) or he didn't have the balls to stop from the car
 
cineteq said:
"It was not clear what was happening. We knew there was a crash, but we didn’t know who was there. The TV in the team car was not working. I told the guys to ride but not ride full gas" Portal told VeloNews.

"Then other teams pulled through. The race was on. It was not possible to stop at that point."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/to-wait-or-not-to-wait-sky-charges-valverde-falls-and-tongues-wag_235266
Funny how EVERY TIME something unorthodox happens, the TV didn't work or the team radios didn't work or whatever. How convenient. :D
 
Lucky1 said:
Hah! I didn't expect to hear the words "moral high ground" and "Valverde" in the same sentence this decade. To hear him talk about sportsmanship - the irony.

However, I think its fair to say Sky don't have the moral or tactical high ground here either. It was funny to hear Froome saying that he hadn't heard much on his radio about the situation and so hadn't heard about Valverde falling. He must have been using the same radio he was using when he dropped Wiggins with his attack in the Tour de France. Certainly if you hear his DS's account of what he did say over the radio.

On the tactical front Sky gained only 54 seconds over a rider who isn't the favourite for the victory. In return they have possibly lined themselves up for a whole lot of trouble during the race - particularly if Froome is leading at any stage. I don't think it was a clever decision to continue with the move.
valverde is totally into sportsmanship, did I miss something in the last decade?
 
Mar 10, 2009
23
0
0
Sorry was wrong , it was the rider 2 placeses behind Stannard the one that goes left after Sørensen falls. At least i think its somone from sky causing it if you first take a look at footage from the moto you can clearly see sørensen is being taked out from the right ( were sky train is coming ). And from the footage from the hely ( verry poor btw ) you can see Hansen bieng knocked over into sørensen causing him to fall. ( only sky riders nearby there ).

cineteq said:
So which Sky rider could have been, Porte, Pate?
Actully it kinda looks like froome with his ailien arms :D But im not sure at all :p
 
King Of The Wolds said:
Why do Katusha, BMC and Saxo seem to be getting away with this? They all spent time at the front whilst Valverde was distanced.
For Katusha, read the news in the cycling sites. BMC's motives, who knows, who cares? Saxo did not pull while the echelons were formed. And if you're talking about Contador attacking then that's another part of the race. He has a race to race against others riders, he wasn't thinking about Valverde when he attacked, most likely thinking about a Kenyan-born guy. :D

Btw, let's give credit to Valverde for minimizing his losses. That was a great chase. He's definitely in contention.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,594
0
0
King Of The Wolds said:
Why do Katusha, BMC and Saxo seem to be getting away with this? They all spent time at the front whilst Valverde was distanced.
Saxo did not
 
King Of The Wolds said:
You are joking, aren't you?
I'm not, more than 25 years watching cycling. Tell me examples he played dirty. and don't come with typical Evans's bike problem in sierra nevada 2009 or contador/valverde alliance in dauphine.

More, he is rather the victim, everbody pretends eliminate him in grand tours.
 
Aguirre said:
I'm not, more than 25 years watching cycling. Tell me examples he played dirty. and don't come with typical Evans's bike problem in sierra nevada 2009 or contador/valverde alliance in dauphine.

More, he is rather the victim, everbody pretends eliminate him in grand tours.
I can't give you an example without taking it to the other forum.
 
Aguirre said:
I'm not, more than 25 years watching cycling. Tell me examples he played dirty. and don't come with typical Evans's bike problem in sierra nevada 2009 or contador/valverde alliance in dauphine.

More, he is rather the victim, everbody pretends eliminate him in grand tours.
The reference is to the Clinic matters.

If you ignore those, which I appreciate for some is very hard, then yes, Valverde has usually been pretty solid on the whole 'fair play on the bike' thing. The guy practically stopped to let Szmyd take the stage he'd promised him in 2009.

For me, this is only galling because Sky made such a big deal of Movistar being bad guys for doing the same thing back in March. Quick Step were the victims then; they got their 'revenge' when Valverde crashed in Catalunya and they pushed the pace to distance him. No complaints from Movistar on that occasion.

The Paris-Nice incident wasn't really any of Sky's business (they weren't really affected by it other than being helped by their main GC rival being eliminated) but they stuck their noses in to it, which is probably what makes Movistar so upset by today.
 
cineteq said:
For Katusha, read the news in the cycling sites. BMC's motives, who knows, who cares?

Btw, let's give credit to Valverde for minimizing his losses. That was a great chase. He's definitely in contention.
Puts the whole issue into context for me.

Agree on Valverde. Stirling effort to get back to the leaders.
Even when Contador attacked and he could quite make the lead group, didn't panic and didn't go into the red.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
The reference is to the Clinic matters.

If you ignore those, which I appreciate for some is very hard, then yes, Valverde has usually been pretty solid on the whole 'fair play on the bike' thing. The guy practically stopped to let Szmyd take the stage he'd promised him in 2009.

For me, this is only galling because Sky made such a big deal of Movistar being bad guys for doing the same thing back in March. Quick Step were the victims then; they got their 'revenge' when Valverde crashed in Catalunya and they pushed the pace to distance him. No complaints from Movistar on that occasion.

The Paris-Nice incident wasn't really any of Sky's business (they weren't really affected by it other than being helped by their main GC rival being eliminated) but they stuck their noses in to it, which is probably what makes Movistar so upset by today.
ah! the clinic! I got it now, you put in the same basket the clinic and actions in the race, when you know very well... they are two different things from different nature.
And as far as my memory remembers... szymd won that stage in ventoux, so?
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
King Of The Wolds said:
Why do Katusha, BMC and Saxo seem to be getting away with this? They all spent time at the front whilst Valverde was distanced.
Saxo did it on the climb itself, can't blame Contador to try and gain time on a mountain against his direct opponents like purito/froome.

When it didn't work Saxo didn't do anything to try and gain time on valverde in the last 5km.

So no blame at all on saxo.
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,320
0
0
King Of The Wolds said:
And yet, ironically, the guy who supposedly caused the crash, the DS who called the attack and the guy now in red whose team pulled has hard as anyone are all Spanish.
How does it feel? To be a fanboy of course? Is it a sensation?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY