• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Sky have waited when Valverde fell?

Should Sky have waited?

• Normally not but since they caused it, yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
They didn't. Can't be changed now. Let's move on!

A lot of things we discuss can't be changed anymore. It's just interesting doing so and you can move on by doing something else, that easy.;)

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
No way. They upped the pace and he went down not the other way round as I saw it.

Movistar have short memories, what goes around comes around....Their efforts to attack in the tour are a distant memory to valverde it seems!!!

Sure, it can be interesting to ponder for a little while... just... sometimes these things become subject of heated arguments long after the fact. :rolleyes:

When that's been said though I don't think Sky caused the crash, it just happened at the same time they started their sidewind attack.

Why cant it just be yes or no? Pretty simple

Why does "yes" have to be "when leader crashes".

What if i dont think it should just be if the guy who happens to be in the leaders jersey often by the fluke of a ttt?

Also where is the - "only if its Andy Schleck" option?

But my answer is that it would be the right thing to wait, but they dont have to.

The Hitch said:

What if i dont think it should just be if the guy who happens to be in the leaders jersey often by the fluke of a ttt?

+1 Hate on them TTT's whenever there is a possibility! :p (actually I do want TTT to only be at 1-day events....)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

But my answer is that it would be the right thing to wait, but they dont have to.

Well since they were a lot of rumors that sky caused it I thought it was necessary to put it in cause that's obviously a different situation.

Don't make AS mad, he's still mad about those downhill finishes and can't get over the fact that they've to ride in the rain. He's already in enough pain :D

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Sky upped the pace which they are entitled to do. They didnt attack after he fell. They are perfectly entitled to continue.

Movistar on the other hand attacked in the tour after the fact which they were not entitled to do so really they are the last ones I would listen to complaining.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
I would have said that Sky should wait, but we all know Valverde and we know he would not have waited.

WTF ????

What do you mean by "we all know Valverde???" Give us examples when he acted like Sky or worse.

:mad:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:

We all know you 'unbiased' pro-Contador arbitrage. One has to wait for a case when he will be in a role of a victim..

what is funny about this situation is how "the media" plays a huge influence on this issues-but the "unwritten" rule of the Peloton waiting when the leader falls/crashes is valid depending on the nationality-not even the circumstances -for example: Had Wiggins fallen at the Tour & Rolland kept going, it would have turned into another World War-but then we go back to 2010 where Fabian pulled the "politics" to save Andy's a$$ after the crash-but then Andy fvcks up the gears & Alberto is judged like a backstabber......

Only fact that counts here is that Valpiti is mad & there will be alliances between the Spanish teams to "sabotage" Sky from now on....
this whole thing could have been avoided easily had Sky not pulled the pace after the accident-simple as that....

Cimber said:
Might as well just close down the forum if we cant discuss things that happened ;)

Of course there'd have to be some discussions about things which has happened. I just know these forums well enough that it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with a how would the race have been if Sky had waited? debate.

As for whether or not they ought to have waited; I wouldn't say so. Sure it's a bit of an unwritten rule that you wait if someone has an accident or in other ways loses time due to reasons which isn't to do with the actual racing.
An example:

The tack attack in this year's Tour. Here the favourites neutralized things because nobody wanted to take time because some idiots thought it would be funny to scatter tacks.

However what happened today was just simply cause-effect: Sky set the pace in the cross-wind which caused some people, including Valverde, to crash because they'd perhaps gone slightly doozy due to the low pace...

Come to think about it; when does someone cause a crash and when are they simply the unwittingly reason for a crash?

Yeah... I just wrote a several paragraphs long posts about a subject I think it's pointless to discuss... shoot me...

No. There's no should. It's a bike race. One can decide to wait, but the thing I hate most is that when a team or some teams decide to wait they think they are entitled to blame others for not waiting.

Stick with your own decision, make your own choice, don't bother with others, that's their choice. Beat them in the next stage if you're angry, but don't go and judge them afterwards from the moral high ground.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
there were other teams and riders caught up in it other than movistar so if that was the reason sky didnt let up then that is flawed i think. is it only for the leader that this happens usually. i dunno.
i think in this instance they should have sat up. i think they would still have had time to exploit the crosswinds. there ya go.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Valverde has to appeal to Navarro and his boss. When it remained about 20-25 sec to join the group, Navarro went on the front and started putting hammer down, despite on the fact that "the climb wasn't steep enough to attack for marginal gains" lol. Was it accidental, how do you think? :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS