• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Wiggins lose his hour record due to cheating?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
It's all okay, the UCI has approved Sir Bradley's cheating behaviour. Nothing to see here, move along.

Too bad. I was hoping there was something that could be done.

CHDvbKXWgAApNVt.png

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I don't really give a **** but if UCI allowed him to break the rules simply because he's "Sir Bradley Wiggins" then take away the record.

and what about those poor skyfans who spent all their money on the Wiggins rapha jersey.. it's falling apart already.

Lying? I don't know. Personally, It feels more like a coach complaining about a referee's decision that cost his team the game. Rules are subject to interpretation, and riders will push the envelope as far as possible. From the article, it seems like he thinks the rule should be written in a different manner than it is.

Steve Collins, "For attempts like that it should all be production available so you can buy it off the shelf."

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Lying? I don't know. Personally, It feels more like a coach complaining about a referee's decision that cost his team the game. Rules are subject to interpretation, and riders will push the envelope as far as possible. From the article, it seems like he thinks the rule should be written in a different manner than it is.

Steve Collins, "For attempts like that it should all be production available so you can buy it off the shelf."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-hour-record-attempt-was-illegal-says-dowsetts-coach

Article 1.3.007 of the UCI regulations state that a bike “designed especially for the attainment of a particular performance (record or other) shall be not authorised.” According to the UCI’s rules, the bike must become commercially available within nine months of Wiggins’ attempt.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:

You can't buy Dowsett's custom made TT bike adapted from the Canyon road TT bike!

Plus it wouldn't fit on a shelf. :D

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
For Bradley's sake I hope he didn't cheat. Because if he's a cheat, then he's a cheat, he is not half a cheat. You wouldn't say, 'I'll cheat here but I'm not going to cheat over there; I'll cheat on a Monday but not on a Tuesday'.

I read that part and to me, the rule itself has a huge loophole. Available commercially in 9 months is different than Collins' suggestion that the bike itself should be available at the time of the attempt. IDK, it seems like a sporting 'gray area' prone to semantics and interpretation. And if Dowsett's ride was also custom-made, then Collins is still lacking credibility in my book. The OP said 'many' were questioning the veracity of the ride. I would be open to hearing critiques from more neutral experts.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
I read that part and to me, the rule itself has a huge loophole. Available commercially in 9 months is different than Collins' suggestion that the bike itself should be available at the time of the attempt. IDK, it seems like a sporting 'gray area' prone to semantics and interpretation. And if Dowsett's ride was also custom-made, then Collins is still lacking credibility in my book. The OP said 'many' were questioning the veracity of the ride. I would be open to hearing critiques from more neutral experts.

I think the point is that handlebars molded specifically to the shape of Wiggins arms are never going to be commercially available. However, there may be a distinction between fundamental features of the bike and user customisations, such as paint job or attaching a bike computer.

TRENDING THREADS