• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Wiggins Ride the Tour this Year?

Should Wiggins Ride the tour?

• No cause Froome wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 19, 2010
Visit site
Akuryo said:
Wiggins could have been of great help for Froome. But since I like Wiggins and don't like Team Sky I am quite happy, cause now he will search a new team for next year! :p

this is possibly the best thing about him missing the tour is there is no chance he will stay with sky. hope that what ever team he goes to he chases classics (PR and flanders) over gts.

Sky needed him for the cobbled stage. I know they have Thomas but I feel that this is one of the most important stages of the tour. having both would be a vital support for froome. Last time the cobbles were used the second group on the road came in 53 seconds down. anyway who loses that sort of time is going to be put in a difficult spot for the rest of the tour.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Wiggo is the first ever British champ on a british team, to have excluded him is a giant slap round the face, they might as well have packed his bags for him and told him to sling his hook.
OK theres no room for sentiment but there are coaches managers and DS`s who would have included him as a matter of respect.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Go on Wiggo win the Tour de Suisse that`ll teach them. We Brits love the underdog and right now that`s Brad. If he does do well in Switzerland i doubt Sky will have a fan left.

No.

Why add conflict to the team. Froome clearly don't feel comfortable with him around. Besides, are we sure that Wiggins is capable of domestiquing for Froome? Some of these past team leaders have problems accepting the new roles of domestiques. Just a thought.

Yorkshire deserve him

Come on let Wiggo ride the fist week.
Yorkshire Tourist Board demand Sir Brad!
+
Wiggo could be make or break on the cobble stage
+
If CF ko's first week - Sky would look stooooooopid to leave out Sir Brad

Just Do It - DB.

---
You can always tell a Yorkshire man
but
you can't tell him much
(coz he is always talking)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
With this and the disgraceful treatment of Sean Yates Brailsfraud shows he has no respect for the yellow jersey or comprehension of cyclings grand narratives

I hope justice is served upon them by Contador and Dodger

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I can understand why they have done it but they must think Porte is going to be back to his best. If Froome does a collarbone week 1 or loses a packet in the first mountain stages they are going to look a bit daft if Porte can't step up.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I'm a bit confused as to why conflict would be bad for Sky.

This is a sport where funding is almost 100% sponsorship. Drama is the only thing paying the bills.

Best Case Scenario - Both ride, conflict, Froome still wins
2nd Best - Only Froome rides, Froome wins
3rd Best - Both ride, conflict, they lose
Worst - Only Froome rides, they lose.

Simple balancing of risk and reward and they think 2nd Best is going to happen. I think they're right too.

3rds a better scenario than most are giving credit to. Cycling isnt a sport which can afford to be prissy about sporting integrity. There are no gate receipts, and no TV money for teams. Soap operas attract more sponsorship than cycling teams (hence the name), and Sky would be a hell of a lot more amusing if they became one.

p.s. obviously for the sponsor, a Wiggins win is worth considerably more than a Froome win. It's more or less impossible to make happen, but worth noting.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I want him to ride because I want to see the conflict, but if I was Sky manager I would absolutely say no.

Would like to hear your reasons why you would say no.

Personally I am very dissapointed but my judgement is clouded when it comes to Wiggo.

I think it's a bloody disgrace that Wiggo won't be in a TDF which will be in his back garden.

To me it sounds more like bloody Froome having an issue with Wiggins than any team decision.

Wiggo has stated himself that he has been working towards the tour all year and he says his form is good.

Well needless to say I wont be cheering on Froome if he has to resort to pulling rank on Wiggo and effectively excluding him from the race.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!! :mad:

TRENDING THREADS