• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Wiggins Ride the Tour this Year?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Wiggins Ride the tour?

• No cause Froome wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Akuryo said:
Wiggins could have been of great help for Froome. But since I like Wiggins and don't like Team Sky I am quite happy, cause now he will search a new team for next year! :p

Yeh I think I am of the same view. Was ****ed when they just used Cav as an expensive trophy. It's clearly not a British team its a corporate international team with deep pockets.

Alex Dowsett, another wise move leaving.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
richo36 said:
this is possibly the best thing about him missing the tour is there is no chance he will stay with sky. hope that what ever team he goes to he chases classics (PR and flanders) over gts.

Sky needed him for the cobbled stage. I know they have Thomas but I feel that this is one of the most important stages of the tour. having both would be a vital support for froome. Last time the cobbles were used the second group on the road came in 53 seconds down. anyway who loses that sort of time is going to be put in a difficult spot for the res

Yup a great point. Actually I would love Wiggo to sack off the grand Tours and go for the classics. Absolutely loved his PR effort!

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Team Sky doesn't need Wiggins to win the Tour, but they would be stronger with him.
Froome, on the other side, would probably be weaker (less calm and focused) with Wiggins in the team.
Sensible decision considering the circumstances, but the circumstances are the problem.
Having a perennial animosity like this and not being able to solve it isn't leaving the brightest impression of the team.

Yes, he definitely should've been included, if not for the drama it might create, then for his results this season. He has been one of the most visible SKY riders of the season so far, so that automatically should earn him a tour-spot.
Very unprofessional attitude by Froome and SKY to let Froome's apparently mental issues with Wiggins get in the way...

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Cance > TheRest said:
Yes, he definitely should've been included, if not for the drama it might create, then for his results this season. He has been one of the most visible SKY riders of the season so far, so that automatically should earn him a tour-spot.
Very unprofessional attitude by Froome and SKY to let Froome's apparently mental issues with Wiggins get in the way...

froome doesn't have kind things to say about wiggins, to put it mildly (book excerpts posted in the clinic). I can't imagine wiggins wanting to ride the TDF for froome tbh

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I just hope Froome has a heart of ice, he may need it. The race starts in Wiggins country i can see Sky`s fan base withering away between now and Le grand Depart. The reception at the team presentation may well be frosty.
The sky management have made their choice and now they must live with it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely take him. Worst case is Wiggins poisons Froome. I don't think this is likely.
The next worst thing would be for him to pull an Armstrong, hijack the team, and attack Froome. However this looks to be Froome's team unable to be hijacked, and Wiggins isn't capable of attacking anyone. I don't think this is likely.
So the next next worst Wiggins does absolutely nothing all Tour let's call it withdraws on day one. Even if it does happen you end up with a boatload of publicity(I haven't ruled out this in/out thing is part of the publicity machine and purely manufactured as it is) and you ride with 8 guys. However in this scenario you need to acknowledge Wiggins benefits by zero hence not likely, for one how are those contract negotiations looking?
So next next next worst, Wiggins rides purely for himself. Now you end up with all the publicity and from the sporting point of view, another top 10 rider that other teams have to worry about, and a very high (winning) TT rider for Froome's shot at winning, for other teams you have a distraction, but again you're riding with 8 men. This is the worst of the likely situations. Keep in mind this still isn't in Wiggins best interest as the team gets positive publicity, his personal share will be middle to negative, but winning a TT and finishing on the podium still looks pretty good.
So the next next next next worst is Wiggins sets about making himself look good. Fills the role of Froome in 2012 and Porte in 2013 and as I've said before from the moment he hits the front he should pull to the line as hard as he possibly can. If he does it perfectly he drops Froome, if he doesn't do it perfectly he limits his losses to whoever does get to the line first, either way he got a free ride to within 5km of the finish as though it was his team anyway and then limits his losses. If he doesn't punchy climbers start to punch and he's screwed. For Wiggins if it works he limits his losses, he wins the TT and the Tour, if it doesn't he finishes as high as possible and looks like an all english team player who gave his all for his leader. Realistically if Wiggins is in great for I think he can aim for 2nd with this approach, as Froome still gets a free ride and hits the TT more fresh vs a tired Wiggins.

So that is for the team and Froome.

For Wiggins worst case is to be left off the team, 2nd worst is he asked to replace Stannard role rather than Porte and rides anonymous long hard days on the flat portion of stages. This creates conflict and gives rise to the next next next wrost situation for SKY. So why would you do it?

This situtation can be managed and easily. Wiggins should ride.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I want him to ride because I want to see the conflict, but if I was Sky manager I would absolutely say no.

Exactly this, especially after seeing some of the stuff in Froomes book. :eek::D

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
Of course he should ride it.

Anyways. This probably means he'll move team, and OGE is - as mentioned everywhere - the best bet.

Wiggins vs. Froome in the 2015 Tour :cool: (Now I may prefer Contador to those two, but the drama involved…!)

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I will be pleased to not have to listen to Paul Sherwin talking about 'Sir Bradley Wiggins' every few minutes like he did at the ToC.

As for the suggestions that Wiggins could find a place at OGE, I can't imagine him fitting into such a closely knit team.

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I am not a Wiggins fan. I can't believe he would happily ride domestique if there was an opportunity to attack Froome. He certainly isn't a Greg Lemond in that respect.

I think his TOC effort has been over hyped. Who was really there to challenge for the GC - there were no real grand tour candidates.

In a TOC that is not such an easy parcours as the year he won (with the good or bad grace of Froome) I don't believe he would stand a chance especially with the explosive attacks Contador, Froome, Nibali and Horner (if he can get any real form in time) are capable of in the mountains.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
All it takes is one little push on the cobbles....
Can you imagine the meltdown on every forum and social media, conspiracy theories, innuendos and accusations, if the freak crashes.
Every spin doctor in the murdoch empire will go bananas.