• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Should Wiggins Ride the Tour this Year?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Wiggins Ride the tour?

• No cause Froome wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seems a really weak decision.

Does anyone believe Wiggins can attack Froome successfully in the mountains even if he wanted? This isn't 2012 or Lemond-Hinault. They aren't that close in ability. And it also seems Brad has been humbled enough to tow the line.

Very personal by Froome, though somewhat understandable given the past decisions to withhold bonus, etc. Comes around goes around.

Sir Brad has already won the Tour once, at this point
in his career it is more important to take a serious
run at an ITT World Championship. Another Rainbow
Jersey would look good on his wall with those he has
already won in the Pursuit, Team Pursuit and Madison.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
MBotero said:
A real British cycling fan,will never choose Contador over Froome so stop trolling.

Ahem, some of us were Alberto fans when Wiggins was content to light up the track and Froome was unheard of. Old loyalties die hard.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Maybe because Kenya,was a British colony.Joking,don't know but i always support British football teams,so for me the choice is easy.

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
froome again had to make db to make a tough decision. hell very likely be again exteremely motivated and will be literally dieing on the road to smash all other contenders at once like on last tour

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I am seeing loads of comments on twitter of disgruntled British fans stating they will now support Contador;)

Good times

MBotero said:
A real British cycling fan,will never choose Contador over Froome so stop trolling.

Swifty's Cakes said:
Why must I prefer a kenyan over a spaniard to be considered a real British cycling fan?

I don't want to support Contador OR Froome.

Will Dan Martin be riding the Tour?

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Personality differences and internal politics are fascinating, especially when you're outside and relying on total hearsay and half stories. I haven't read Froome's latest book but from what I've seen in recent write ups, I was interested to pick up that David Walsh said that Froome had received his payout from wiggins, but it appears that this has actually not happened. Like they say, karma's a bitgh- I agree with one of the previous posts- what comes around, and all that. Froome is a superior rider and he will prove this at the TdF. I do not think that it is beyond the realms of possibility that wiggins knows this and made his announcement opportunistically to avoid embarrassment by being shown up during the 21 days.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
xanadu said:
Wiggo is the first ever British champ on a british team, to have excluded him is a giant slap round the face, they might as well have packed his bags for him and told him to sling his hook.
OK theres no room for sentiment but there are coaches managers and DS`s who would have included him as a matter of respect.

jens_attacks said:
yes yes and yes. anything else would be a terrible shame on british cycling

Escarabajo said:
No.

Why add conflict to the team. Froome clearly don't feel comfortable with him around. Besides, are we sure that Wiggins is capable of domestiquing for Froome? Some of these past team leaders have problems accepting the new roles of domestiques. Just a thought.

The Hitch said:
I want him to ride because I want to see the conflict, but if I was Sky manager I would absolutely say no.
Yes to all the above.

Tour de France starting in Britain without their posterboy? Nah; it shows Sir David Brailsfart isnt the great manager he is knighted for.

I just can't see Wiggins being Froome's helper and giving 100 percent for him. I think he is too proud to be his worker after all their stories. He wanted to leave 2012 Tour after that mini-attack by Froome and afterwards he didn't want to pay him some money for a long time. That shows his character. If Wiggins had been selected for the TdF he would demand some free role (not a normal helper) and this could cause some tensions or even conflicts. Especially if he could gain some time over Froome in the first week of TdF.

Krzysztof_O said:
I just can't see Wiggins being Froome's helper and giving 100 percent for him. I think he is too proud to be his worker after all their stories. He wanted to leave 2012 Tour after that mini-attack by Froome and afterwards he didn't want to pay him some money for a long time. That shows his character. If Wiggins had been selected for the TdF he would demand some free role (not a normal helper) and this could cause some tensions or even conflicts. Especially if he could gain some time over Froome in the first week of TdF.

Although Wiggins is well known for changing his mind without hesitation, in this case I think he is sincere in his statements that he just wants to work for Froome and bring home the victory with Froome for Sky. His commitment to doing well at Paris-Roubaix was in part an effort to show he would be valuable to the team on the pivotal cobbled stage and a non-threat to Froome's leadership.

Of course there's bad blood but with Froome's book going public, it goes both ways. Wiggins simply wants to be shown the respect he feels he has earned as his country's first Tour winner. Froome would benefit from learning to deal with personalities on the team that may not necessarily be complimentary to his.

All of this drama is Brailsford fault for not dealing with 2 years ago. He's supposedly running the team and resolving this back then instead of letting the conflict fester seems an example of him avoiding the issue instead of addressing it. To me keeping Wiggins off the team when he both deserves a spot for the season he's had and would be an asset is simply the cowards way of dealing with this conflict by catering to Froome's wishes rather than doing what is best for the team overall.

Angliru said:
Although Wiggins is well known for changing his mind without hesitation, in this case I think he is sincere in his statements that he just wants to work for Froome and bring home the victory with Froome for Sky. His commitment to doing well at Paris-Roubaix was in part an effort to show he would be valuable to the team on the pivotal cobbled stage and a non-threat to Froome's leadership.

Of course there's bad blood but with Froome's book going public, it goes both ways. Wiggins simply wants to be shown the respect he feels he has earned as his country's first Tour winner. Froome would benefit from learning to deal with personalities on the team that may not necessarily be complimentary to his.

All of this drama is Brailsford fault for not dealing with 2 years ago. He's supposedly running the team and resolving this back then instead of letting the conflict fester seems an example of him avoiding the issue instead of addressing it. To me keeping Wiggins off the team when he both deserves a spot for the season he's had and would be an asset is simply the cowards way of dealing with this conflict by catering to Froome's wishes rather than doing what is best for the team overall.

I agree with the bold-but bear in mind that the entire situation has been an snow ball effect development where Brailsford tried to resolve the problem by splitting them up rather than "unite" them, & when Wiggo failed miserably during the entire 2013 season, Froome OTOH glowed by winning almost every race he participated in, including the Tour-therefore He was able to strengthen his leadership even further. fast forward, Wiggo seemed to have recovered well & bounced back, & got the shape to "ask" for a spot, but by then it was just too late....

TRENDING THREADS