• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Silvan Dillier thread

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Silvan Dillier, an understated rider with good all-rounder abilities. His major individual successes so far are the 2015 ITT nationals and a stage in the 2013 Tour of Alberta. Will he be able to grab the leader's jersey at the Tour de Suisse today?

13toastg2dillier_670.jpg

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Whats up with all these lesser rider threads?
"Lesser" riders are the unsung heroes of cycling. For example, we all remember Contador on Fuente Dé, but guys such as Sérgio Paulinho and Jesús Hernández contributed hugely to that legendary day.

I didn't know we had a Silvan Dillier thread, but there you go :D
Amazing race today from him. Took his chance and made his own luck by keeping to work with Sagan, otherwise the world champion would either have dropped him or the get caught. In the last km a bit more gambling would've been nice though ;)
I'm a fan since his amazing Route du Sud win last year. In some ways both performances are comparable: Took the initiative with a breakaway and when the situation turned out to be in his favor he did't turn around and kept on riding!

Rode like a man today. Deserved every bit of his podium place, which possibly wouldn't have happened if he hadn't put in a shift. Not the best from him tactically once they made it into the velodrome, but I can only imagine how tired he was at that point.

One of the few 2nd place finishes in cycling that will be remembered. Chapeau!

Re:

Saint Unix said:
Rode like a man today. Deserved every bit of his podium place, which possibly wouldn't have happened if he hadn't put in a shift. Not the best from him tactically once they made it into the velodrome, but I can only imagine how tired he was at that point.

One of the few 2nd place finishes in cycling that will be remembered. Chapeau!

Dillier came to Paris Roubaix as a training ride for his real target 6 days later, Tour du Finistère

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He wouldn't be fit enough for the spring classics they said..
So he rode the B program in the Flanders weekend (won one race, top 10 in the other one), and a week later 2nd in Roubaix.

What a guy.
Hasn't this happened before or something similar. I'm thinking Vlaanderen isn't great in preparation for Roubaix. :D

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Saint Unix said:
Not the best from him tactically once they made it into the velodrome, but I can only imagine how tired he was at that point.

I guess he was too cooked to consider tactics at that point in time ... however it was smart of him (and Wallays at some stage, although the latter had to throw the towel) to work with Peter - if you're not a top tier rider, better get a podium in a Monument (with the albeight minimal chance to win it) than end up with empty hands ....

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Dillier and Naesen to be co-leaders for the classics next year?

Well Dillier would have to continue to prove himself when he gets the opportunity to. One result by itself (even in a big race) doesn't mean much without following through. Naesen has been progressing very well and will obviously be the leader in coming years (especially when he's completely injury free.) Dillier would do well though to try and excel in the classics....we know it's always best to have more than one leader in the classics.

TRENDING THREADS