• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Simon who thought that he would drive a Car(r) now rides a bike like a new Primoz Roglic

A former karting (or should I write Carrting?) driver now beats Primoz Roglic in terms of a successful transition to the road cycling from a sport that is the furthest away from cycling in terms of skill requirements.

To be in the 2nd group today in such a big race, ahead of his team leader Alberto Bettiol and a few other great riders was a very promising sign. Maybe he would've finished in the top10 if he hadn't pushed so much trying to bridge the gap to the lead group. Will Simon Carr join Roglic and other riders like Evenepoel and Woods as another outstanding rider with a background from another sport? It's a bit early to tell but for now I'm going to have some fun with how his name relates to his past in a bit unusual, as for a cyclist, way.

I've never thought he would be at this level already. 8th on Tirreno's queen stage, ahead of Van Aert, Fuglsang, Bernal, Thomas and Bardet. Just one year ago he looked like a pretty ordinary rider who would most likely never be good enough to deserve a spot at WT level. Best EF's signing since Higuita, it seems. He's developing really quickly, I wonder for how long this is going to continue.

I've never thought he would be at this level already. 8th on Tirreno's queen stage, ahead of Van Aert, Fuglsang, Bernal, Thomas and Bardet. Just one year ago he looked like a pretty ordinary rider who would most likely never be good enough to deserve a spot at WT level. Best EF's signing since Higuita, it seems. He's developing really quickly, I wonder for how long this is going to continue.

I would still rank Guerreiro and Bissegger as better transfers atm, but Carr was most likely the cheapest of them.

I would still rank Guerreiro and Bissegger as better transfers atm, but Carr was most likely the cheapest of them.
Maybe you're right about Bissegger, not so sure about Guerreiro. Signing cheap and unknown riders is what I consider the most impressive transfers. For example Evenepoel has done great but we had all expected him to. On the other hand, I had not heard about Higuita before he was rumoured to sign with EF but he quickly turned out to be good enough to score top places all year round.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In multiple years of his career Guerreiro has never shown a better performance then Carr today. So how can you rank him higher then a guy who shows this only a few races into his pro career?
Even though arguably the field was stronger here, I can't really see how you can argue that winning a GT stage and best climber jersey is less valuable than finishing 8th on one stage of a one week race.

Even though arguably the field was stronger here, I can't really see how you can argue that winning a GT stage and best climber jersey is less valuable than finishing 8th on one stage of a one week race.

Quite simple:
- Guerreiro was a fourth year World Tour pro when he accomplished those performances. Which in my book did not require him to beat or even stay with the real crop of the cycling peloton.

- Carr has been pro for like 5 calendar months in Cycling out of which most were spent with a minor team on PCT level. And already he is able to stay today with some of cyclings better climbers.

So in that respect i think Carr by far looks the better bargain compared to Guerreiro at the moment. Of course if Carr performs nothing from this moment and Guerreiro performs nothing either then Guerreiros career has been the better one.

But given the background of the performances of the riders compared at the moment I think Carrs performance are simply more impressive. And indicate a better future career path than Guerreiros by far.

So, how long is he going to suffer from the toughness of the Castelfidardo stage in Tirreno? The day before, he was top 10 on an MTF, and before that he was 11th in Strade Bianche. Now, he barely finishes stages in the Giro and has done nothing of note since that day.

Maybe he just overperformed in March. It's his first season in WT and he wasn't exactly perceived as one of the most promising youngsters of his age before this spring. It's maybe a bit too much to expect he will do something of significance all the time in races.

He also finished 26th in De Brabantse Pijl and 35th in La Fleche Wallonne so it's not like he's been near the back all the time since Tirreno.

So, how long is he going to suffer from the toughness of the Castelfidardo stage in Tirreno? The day before, he was top 10 on an MTF, and before that he was 11th in Strade Bianche. Now, he barely finishes stages in the Giro and has done nothing of note since that day.
There you go with Carr doing something of note- dropping all but 6 or so riders on Giau!

A bit of a poor man's version of Sepp Kuss ATM. We'll see if he ever finds more consistency.

You never know these things for sure. He shows bigger difference between his usual level and his peak level than many other young riders and not every rider who showed some good climbing turned out to be a regular GT contender.

True you never know for sure, but i think his first part of the season was quite consistent. The first part of the Giro was very unconvincing and he was struggling quite a bit, but that was the same for quite a few other youngsters here.

I think Carr is doing very well and it is likely that more consistency comes with more experience.

He's been very good in the last few months. Stage wins in Tour of the Alps and Occitanie, 3rd in CIC Mont Ventoux and was sitting 12th overall in Romandie before DNS on the last stage.

Yeah, he’s one of quite a few guys at EF who are showing something at the moment. The team’s success this year doesn’t look entirely down to Healy and Cort any more. in fact 12 different riders have won races (ten if you don’t count minor national ITTs).

Carr is interesting because he actually wins races as a climber without seeming to put out super-elite climber insane watts. Shows a good mentality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS