• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Skinsuits

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sexy enough to wear one and this is an honest question, not meant to stir any debate (like shaving one's legs, which I do):
Are there tangible benefits to wearing a skinsuit in CX, or is it just "what the pros do?"

kevin

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ridley25 said:
I'm not sexy enough to wear one and this is an honest question, not meant to stir any debate (like shaving one's legs, which I do):
Are there tangible benefits to wearing a skinsuit in CX, or is it just "what the pros do?"

kevin

Only one that I can think of is that when you wipe out you don't get dirt and grass up under your shirt and into the top of your bib shorts! :rolleyes:

So long as your shirt's tight enough around the waist that you're not going to hook a pedal when you shoulder the bike, I'd say it all comes down to personal choice ...

Mar 31, 2009
www.barbrides.com
Benefits I've found to wearing a skinsuit:

-your shorts can't fall down, this is especially important when it's wet and your chamois weighs as much as your bike

-your jersey can't ride up

-a skinsuit fits much tighter than a jersey and is less likely to catch on stuff and flap in the wind

-you are faster and people take you more seriously when you wear a skinsuit (this last reason has not yet been scientifically proven)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Barbarella said:
Benefits I've found to wearing a skinsuit:

-your shorts can't fall down, this is especially important when it's wet and your chamois weighs as much as your bike

-you are faster and people take you more seriously when you wear a skinsuit (this last reason has not yet been scientifically proven)

Bib shorts stay up well in the wet too ... but then again they don't have that same sort of street cred that a skin suit does ... :)

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
In really cold weather thermal skinsuits are warmer than separate bibs and jerseys as there are no potential gaps for biting wind to get in.

And yes, for 'cross, it's also nice that there's no excess fabric to get caught in anything during mounts and dismounts and when shouldering the bike during run-ups.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi!

Where do you buy your skinsuits?
I'm looking for long sleeve version which would be little bit thicker than normal TT-skinsuit.
I'm hoping I would found it from Europe.

skin suit

as the first person to wear a skin suit in a cross race in the uk in 1978, it was because after a very muddy cross race, I weighed my shorts jersey and socks and it weighted 4.5 lbs and we were drilling holes in chainrings and brake levers to save weight, yet carrying round 4 lbs of mud. skin suits were used only in timetrials that year and my local clothing supplier happened to have a sample one to see what this new material was and made me the very first one.
needless to say my first race in it caused some very very strange looks and comments.
I was also the very first to have shorts other than the required black ones, red in fact , but it only lasted for 6 weeks and was told black or be banned!!