• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky Grand Tour Line Up

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
I think it's quite interesting that both Ben Swift and EBH think they are going to be Sky's main sprinter at the TDF. Swift is even talking about getting yellow, which is downright absurd considering how much better EBH is at uphill finishes (see Swift's performance at TDS). I have a feeling they won't work very well together, it's a shame they didn't bring Henderson who can both do leadouts or sprint himself.

EBH doesn't believe that! Don't know about Swifty, but EBH said to norwegian journo's yesterday, after winning the national ITT, that "the inclusion of Swift means we'll have another sprinter on the team. I can do a lead-out for him, or the other way round, but I think I'll last a bit longer on the climbs than Swift." He goes on to state that he rode the Dauphiné to see just how long he could last on the climbs, assuming a new role as super-domestique for Wiggins, and that will evidently be part of his brief for the TdF. On other stages he'll have more freedom to go about things as he wants.
He characterizes Sky's team for the tour as a team that'll do well in bunch sprints, a team that'll be in the frontgroup on climbs, and perform well in the TT's. I believe his take on things isn't way off the mark.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
He was just awesome as a super domestique in the Dauphine - I wonder if Saxo and Leopard Meh will let them set tempo in the same way in the Tour?

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I doubt Wiggo will have to defend yellow at any point, so I don't think an effort comparable to the undeniably impressive ride on that final climb on stage 7 of the Dauphine will necessarily be needed from EBH this time round, which should be good for any ambitions he might harbour individually.

I don't think Uran and EBH have to work for Wiggo.

Wiggo's strategy is just to maintain other wheels. And this will be mainly in uphill mountain stages where you don't need any teammate.

It would be a waste to use Uran and eddy's talent to defend a top 5 (being optimistic).

Hope Uran and EBH shine by themselves this year!

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
true - but setting a high but even tempo might be in Wiggo's interests if he is defending a podium slot or only a minute or two off one on the last few days, it is stop start attack climbing that will do for his chances. Contador might be happy for someone else to set tempo, then take off when EBH pops.

All a bit speculative at this stage, but final climbs where a super domestique gives out a real beasting for 5km shelling out GC contenders are always fun to watch :D

So who named the right Sky team for the Tour??

Just wondering.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,21468_7001428,00.html

Tour-de-France-2-800_2613149.jpg

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Didn´t know where to post this so rather than starting a new thread.

Are Wiggins Tour chances over ?

Next year he probably won´t ride with the Olympics starting 1 week later - his next tour chance will be in 2013 without the knowledge of where he could improve. He may ride the Veulta but he will then have to change his body type back towards a track rider for 2012 and start from again for 2013 - Sky winning the tour looks less and less likely from Brad - thoughts.

I never thought he would win but said to see a GC guy leave with a crash.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't know whether those drugs he was enjoying outside the hospital yesterday were still talking or not, but in an interview today he said he'd back for the Tour next year. How that would work with the team pursuit is anyone's guess.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
hatcher said:
I don't know whether those drugs he was enjoying outside the hospital yesterday were still talking or not, but in an interview today he said he'd back for the Tour next year. How that would work with the team pursuit is anyone's guess.

Every track rider who rides road as well says Individual great after a stage race team not ...

The Tour starts earlier on the 30th June next year. That means it ends on July 22nd. Olympics schedule shows that track cycling is from the August 2nd-7th.

10 days rest between them isn't enough is it?

edit: oh is he only doing the team pursuit? That's on August 2nd and 3rd. Men's TT is on the 1st.

He should wait til the route comes out. Maybe there will be two TTs, in which case he should definitely go for the Tour. He's already got a load of medals already.

I'm guessing that his success in the Dauphine and the fact that he was in the shape of his life for this Tour made him really focused on doing well on the Tour and I could imagine that that might overshadow any thoughts on specifically prepping for the Team Pursuit in the olympics which he has already won. Athletes tend to be more motivated for things that they haven't won and I think Wiggins thinks he could have a genuine shot at the Tour.

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot will depend on the route. If its a course that suits him who knows, if not the giro and the olympics! Geraint Thomas will dffo do the team pursuit, so he would have to do tdf without him!

A

Anonymous

will10 said:
He's only doing the team pursuit and is capable of riding the Tour for GC and whinging it for the TP IMO.

its very possible he wont be riding the team pursuit and concentrating only on the olympic time trial

Ryo Hazuki said:
he definetely won't do the tour next year because of the olympics. you can't do both for sure

not true.

Raceoftruth said:
I think a lot will depend on the route. If its a course that suits him who knows, if not the giro and the olympics! Geraint Thomas will dffo do the team pursuit, so he would have to do tdf without him!

Geraint may not be doing the TP either.

On a side note, the optimistic hope from Sky is that Brad may do the Vuelta rather than the Tour of BRitian

TRENDING THREADS