Sky Grand Tour Line Up

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
I see EBH fulfilling more of a super-domestique role, pretty much as he did excellently in Dauphine...

(Cheers greenedge!)
 
Andy99 said:
I see EBH fulfilling more of a super-domestique role, pretty much as he did excellently in Dauphine...
+1

but also assisting Swift as a leadout in the first week
It's a good chance for Swift to have a crack at winning a stage before having to work for Cav
 
It's a strong squad, not so sure about how wise it is to include Swift though. He didn't seem to be in great form in the TdS and wasn't really a challenger there in the uphill finishes. If they want another sprinter than EBH on the flat stages they might as well have picked Hendo instead. Best option IMO would have been to include another strong helper like Stannard, Hayman or Arvesen.
 
Jun 15, 2009
835
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
EBH will be sent to the front do work for wiggins and occasionally for Swift. Some stages in the opening week suit EBH more than Swift.
Some of the intermediate sprints as well. It'll be exciting to see how those play out, jersey-wise.
 
Nov 30, 2010
797
0
0
kanari said:
It's a strong squad, not so sure about how wise it is to include Swift though. He didn't seem to be in great form in the TdS and wasn't really a challenger there in the uphill finishes. If they want another sprinter than EBH on the flat stages they might as well have picked Hendo instead. Best option IMO would have been to include another strong helper like Stannard, Hayman or Arvesen.
Swift has been better than Henderson all year. As has Appollonio. There's no way Henderson deserves to go, whereas he probably did deserve a shot last year.

I suppose the worry with Hayman and Stannard is whether they'll be much use in or after the steep stuff. Barry and Arvesen are out of form/favour and all the Giro riders have been ruled out. Cummings and Rogers are injured, there's not a lot left.

Also. even though I thought they shouldn't take another sprinter, there may be better chances of podiums in this tour than in most. Farrar is a bit lost, HTC can only lead out one of their sprinters at a time. Who else is really firing?
 
So Henderson again misses out? Normally i would feel sorry for him, but when one remembers his responce to missing the previous one was to say that Paris Nice (because its in France) is a bigger race than the Giro and the Vuelta, then, well thats karma.
 
I think it's good for EBH's stage chances that Swift is there. If they ride for Swift in some of the flatter stages it means that EBH won't be as big a threat for the green jersey so other teams might be more inclined to let EBH get in a break or two. I will be interesting to see what Swift can do as well with a lead out from EBH. I think EBH overall is a stronger sprinter but Swift might be a little speedier so with the right position he might be able to hold on.
 
I think it's a good, well rounded squad.

Putting too much support behind Wiggins and Uran would be a waste (unless you were confident one could compete for a very high position).

In EBH, they have someone who can contest a few stages early on (those too hard for Cav but maybe not hard enough for Gilbert). EBH can then play support, or stage hunt from breakaways.

Swift will be there for the genuine sprints, and a few top5s will be a result and a win would be a bonus. Gives them representation on the easiest days.

Gerrans will typically go for a stage, but should support the others if needed.
 
Jul 7, 2009
58
0
8,680
Swift has proven himself to be as quick (or quicker) than Hendo on the flat sprints this year, and is also a lot more likely to contest the finishes on days where some of the other sprinters may get dropped so it's a good choice. Also makes sense to take an extra man for the sprints; Flecha, G and EBH would have been a short leadout compared to the HTC train.

I suspect Froome or Stannard may have had a look in if they hadn't gone with the extra sprint option. Both did a pretty good TT in Suisse so are probably in good shape, and could have been useful extra domestiques and been strong in the TTT.

Good to see Gerrans get picked, he'll probably be aiming for breakaways but this is something they should do more of anyway.
 
Apr 9, 2011
3,034
1
0
Wonder if Gerrans really deserves a spot though - I am a big fan so glad he is there.

also wonder if there was any Greenedge thinking with selections ?
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
+1

I generally like the kit overall, but the green gives it an extra dimension. Nice cause too.
Wonder if Garmin will change their kit too...just to make sure we still can't tell the difference..;)
 
Captain_Cavman said:
Swift has been better than Henderson all year. As has Appollonio. There's no way Henderson deserves to go, whereas he probably did deserve a shot last year.

I suppose the worry with Hayman and Stannard is whether they'll be much use in or after the steep stuff. Barry and Arvesen are out of form/favour and all the Giro riders have been ruled out. Cummings and Rogers are injured, there's not a lot left.

Also. even though I thought they shouldn't take another sprinter, there may be better chances of podiums in this tour than in most. Farrar is a bit lost, HTC can only lead out one of their sprinters at a time. Who else is really firing?
Good point. The sprint field looks pretty small and weak once you get past Cav, Petacchi, Greipel and Farrar. Galimzyanov is one to look out for.

Others: Boonen, Rojas, Hutarovich, Casper, Bozic...

There's no reason why Swift or EBH can't pick up a few podiums on the flat finishes and there's a slight chance of a win if they have a great lead out/something happens to Cav.
 
Jul 29, 2009
17
0
0
just some guy said:
Wonder if Gerrans really deserves a spot though - I am a big fan so glad he is there.

also wonder if there was any Greenedge thinking with selections ?
They would not pick him if he wasnt in good form, lets be honest Wiggans is plan A, plan B is go for stage wins and Gerro,EBH,Flecha,Swift,Thomas and Uran can all win stages. I think management has picked a solid squad that can help Wiggans and Uran in GC , EBH and Swift can win the odd sprint and the rest are classy domestiques and stage hunters, would be suprised if they didnt win one or two stages.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
1
0
Eyeballs Out said:
Can't really see them getting anything out of Gerrans, Xandio and Knees on current form. On paper Arvesen, Stannard and Froome looked better options. It's almost as if they selected the team in January
It's more like you haven't seen cycling in june
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
1
0
zandio and knees rode well in dauphinee, froome is as always way too inconsistant and stannard can't climb
 
Apr 14, 2011
998
0
0
I saw the Dauphine and TdS

Stannard, Arvesen and Froome all getting good results
Xandio, Gerrans and Knees doing nothing

What other cycling in June are you talking about ?

You can't compare the two races. The Dauphine riders were all working for Wiggins, whilst the TDS riders were freer to pursue their own objectives.
 
King Of The Wolds said:
The selection of Swift smacks a little a making sure there's 3 Brits in the team to give it a British feel. Only 2, for the biggest race of the year, wouldn't have looked good, given the mission statement.
I'm sure that's part of it. The question was only which brit would be the third. With Cummings out and Stannard being a little too inexperienced for what they need then Swift seems like an obvious selection especially considering how he has been riding this year.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS