• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky next year

Do you guys see Froome and Wiggin's being able to co-exist at Sky next year? I can't imagine Wiggin's being happy with that. Unless he retires, will one of them be looking for a new team?

Wiggin's is the bigger name, something of a national hero and worth a lot more to them from a PR point of view. Froome on the other hand is a bit unknown in England but will probably win a lot more over the next few years. It gets even more complicated when you take into account all the lieutenants that could be team leaders in their own rights. What do you guys think will happen next year??

May 19, 2011
Visit site
happytramp said:
Do you guys see Froome and Wiggin's being able to co-exist at Sky next year? I can't imagine Wiggin's being happy with that. Unless he retires, will one of them be looking for a new team?

Wiggin's is the bigger name, something of a national hero and worth a lot more to them from a PR point of view. Froome on the other hand is a bit unknown in England but will probably win a lot more over the next few years. It gets even more complicated when you take into account all the lieutenants that could be team leaders in their own rights. What do you guys think will happen next year??

are you from Britain? Can people there confirm Froom is unknown? maybe they just target different races. Froom will have the Tour if he can manage winning this one, W can pick the rest two. To win all three GT should sound pretty good in W's big ego head.:D

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
happytramp said:

Wiggins seems to be concentrating more on the classics now...I think he has conceded that froome will lead the tdf if in form. I guess he might go for the giro/vuelta double if he feels like he can pull it off...

Still, can you imagine if sky brought their strongest team to the tdf? Thomas, Kennaugh, Uran, Henao, Porte, Wiggins, Froome...they would just ride everyone off the road :eek:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Faraday1 said:
Wiggins seems to be concentrating more on the classics now...I think he has conceded that froome will lead the tdf if in form. I guess he might go for the giro/vuelta double if he feels like he can pull it off...

Still, can you imagine if sky brought their strongest team to the tdf? Thomas, Kennaugh, Uran, Henao, Porte, Wiggins, Froome...they would just ride everyone off the road :lol:

do you even know what are classics? You can't make random s**t up, any facts behind your statement?

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:
do you even know what are classics? You can't make random s**t up, any facts behind your statement?

the monuments? Obviously at this stage there isn't any evidence, but most people here in England seem to think that wiggins will try for paris-roubaix next year at the least.

maxmartin said:
are you from Britain? Can people there confirm Froom is unknown?

From Ireland but we get the same TV, Newspaper and Radio providers. There is very little coverage of Froome's ride to victory compared to Wiggins last year. Wiggins was already a huge name in the UK thanks to his Olympic track exploits. Successful Olympic athletes are second only in importance to premiership footballers in England. Sure most of them get knighthoods.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Faraday1 said:
the monuments? Obviously at this stage there isn't any evidence, but most people here in England seem to think that wiggins will try for paris-roubaix next year at the least.

I still think W have better chance in GT than in PR, but I am not from England:D

happytramp said:
From Ireland but we get the same TV, Newspaper and Radio providers. There is very little coverage of Froome's ride to victory compared to Wiggins last year. Wiggins was already a huge name in the UK thanks to his Olympic track exploits. Successful Olympic athletes are second only in importance to premiership footballers in England. Sure most of them get knighthoods.

But more or less the same country..you shouldn't condsider yourself a foreigner in England :p :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Froome doesn't have to worry about co-existing with Wiggins anymore. He's dominated practically all year and too a far greater degree then Wiggins did. Wiggins is done for, he's already said he probably won't do GT's anymore. And Froome will easily get to lead in the week long stage races, Wiggins won't endanger his leadership in any race really.

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
But more or less the same country..you shouldn't condsider yourself a foreigner in England :p :D
I'd not repeat that if you're face-to-face with an Irishman, they can get a bit touchy about being called British. It's like calling a Scotsman English ;)

As for Froome, yeah, he's not as well known as Wiggins yet, & maybe he'll never be that big because Wiggins was the first Brit to win the TdF. But he's far from unknown, & it's not as if the TdF doesn't get reasonable amounts of coverage in the papers.

Despite being better known among the public though, Sir Wiggo will have to get used to playing 2nd fiddle to Froome because he's the younger man, in the peak years of his career while Wiggo is up in his 30s. Though the idea of Wiggins trying to compete with the cobble experts for Paris Roubaix would be quite a sight :D

forkboy84 said:
I'd not repeat that if you're face-to-face with an Irishman, they can get a bit touchy about being called British. It's like calling a Scotsman English ;)

As for Froome, yeah, he's not as well known as Wiggins yet, & maybe he'll never be that big because Wiggins was the first Brit to win the TdF. But he's far from unknown, & it's not as if the TdF doesn't get reasonable amounts of coverage in the papers.

Despite being better known among the public though, Sir Wiggo will have to get used to playing 2nd fiddle to Froome because he's the younger man, in the peak years of his career while Wiggo is up in his 30s. Though the idea of Wiggins trying to compete with the cobble experts for Paris Roubaix would be quite a sight :D

I know but they are not really like foreigners in England. Again i say wiggins shoul concentrate on the Cobbles classic.

happytramp said:

You missed out Uran Porte and maybe Henao.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Wiggins should focus on the cobbles classics maybe much better than every years sky hope of Thomas Geraint. Condsidering how good he can be when he really give his mind to something... :D cyclingly speaking :D.

NO NO and thrice NO
great so another of brailsfords favourites gets put ahead of Stannard
Just no

Unless Wiggins has a complete about face, which is not beyond him, he's said the days of living on a volcano to prepare for stage races are behind him. His preparation for 2013 was shoddy and Sky have managed the failures of him well. The only highlight I can think of was in Catalunya when he led a great descent early on then launched an uncharacteristic attack the day Quintana won. I thought Richard Moore was pretty close to the truth when he said there was no way BW's injury this year, at a similar point of the season, would have kept him out of the 2012 Tour.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins retired at the end of the season.

Whats happening to Porte? As far as i remember he turned down Green edge as they wanted to concentrate on sprints/classics for the first couple of years. He thought he would go to sky and learn about GCs. Is he looking to move on next year?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Frosty said:
Whats happening to Porte? As far as i remember he turned down Green edge as they wanted to concentrate on sprints/classics for the first couple of years. He thought he would go to sky and learn about GCs. Is he looking to move on next year?

Doubt he's going anywhere for the next couple years. Definitely not leaving Sky next year, as he's been promised the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS