• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky showing what an epic truckload of failure they are

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In retrospect, waiting for your team leader was a bad decision, because he had to DNF.

But if he had been able to continue the race and they'd got him back to the péloton (unlikely as that may have been) it would have been absolutely the right decision, and they weren't going to stand any chance of getting him back without toasting that many riders to chase. Think of Caisse d'Epargne on the way in to Suancés in 2008 (though Valverde proved that he's stupid by riding away from his own domestiques trying to close the gap solo).

OK, so Sky aren't wearing the white jersey anymore. Thomas would probably have lost it to Gesink tomorrow anyway, don't see what one day in a jersey when you've already held it for most of a week really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Ryo Hazuki said:
uran had to wait were your exact words to me, which started my ****ing off rant. as I didn't se ehim standing near the crash at all. almost all others were. anyway I'm not ****ed anymore as it won't have too much of an effect on uran, it's positive for him wiggins is out of this and his gc chances will come in future for sure.
well uran definately waited, he didn't ride on immediately that's for sure, and he had nothing

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hard to refer to Sky as "truckload of failure" a day after winning a stage, and roughly a month after Dauphine. A more appropriate statement would of been, "what a truckload of misfortune for Sky."

When the team captain(even if the title is questionable) is down- his teammates near by must wait for him- like it or not-and apparently he went down with Uran & EBH too, so there was no chance for them to carry on and leave him on the floor. I would have liked Wiggins to stay and have a shot at the GC, but when a situation like this happens, the team must continue the battle, & perhaps looking at the bright side-I thing the freedom they get from now on might be good after all for riders like EBH, Uran, GThomas & Simon Gerrans to do some stage hunting..

ImmaculateKadence said:
Hard to refer to Sky as "truckload of failure" a day after winning a stage, and roughly a month after Dauphine. A more appropriate statement would of been, "what a truckload of misfortune for Sky."
More importantly: a guy who has never done crap in a GT, who (possibly, maybe) had to wait for a guy who finished 4th in one.

But hey, he's Colombian, therefore all rules of logic don't apply, in Ryo-world.

Wiggins will never finish higher in a GT than he did in 2009. Urán could, if what he was showing in 2009 is anything to go by. He was riding for Eusebio Unzué, who always likes to bring his riders through slowly. Hence Urán has never really come into a GT to race for GC because Unzué always had either better options or didn't want to put the pressure on him. He had a free hand at the 2010 Giro, but lost time due to crashes and the wind early on, then had to be turned into a superdomestique for Arroyo in week 3 - which he did a brilliant job at, guiding him over Monte Grappa, being the last man with him on the Mortirolo and still having the energy to come 7th to Kronplatz. In the 2010 Vuelta he was lying 8th overall at the end of week 2 despite not being the team leader (they also had Bruseghin 6th and Plaza 7th) before being caught up in Igor Antón's crash and losing huge time.

So Urán has done plenty of note in GTs, and more than Wiggins has ever done on races with a parcours like tomorrow's stage, and Urán is much younger, and the Tour route is more suited to him.

Libertine Seguros said:
Wiggins will never finish higher in a GT than he did in 2009. Urán could, if what he was showing in 2009 is anything to go by. He was riding for Eusebio Unzué, who always likes to bring his riders through slowly. Hence Urán has never really come into a GT to race for GC because Unzué always had either better options or didn't want to put the pressure on him. He had a free hand at the 2010 Giro, but lost time due to crashes and the wind early on, then had to be turned into a superdomestique for Arroyo in week 3 - which he did a brilliant job at, guiding him over Monte Grappa, being the last man with him on the Mortirolo and still having the energy to come 7th to Kronplatz. In the 2010 Vuelta he was lying 8th overall at the end of week 2 despite not being the team leader (they also had Bruseghin 6th and Plaza 7th) before being caught up in Igor Antón's crash and losing huge time.

So Urán has done plenty of note in GTs, and more than Wiggins has ever done on races with a parcours like tomorrow's stage, and Urán is much younger, and the Tour route is more suited to him.
Maybe I should have worded it better: Uran has never done crap in a grand tour, GC-wise.

Libertine Seguros said:
Wiggins will never finish higher in a GT than he did in 2009. Urán could, if what he was showing in 2009 is anything to go by.

when Uran will be able to fight in a GT, he will have some little "uran" doing the job for him... now he's only a guy with zero wins in the last 4 years, and he has to do the job for his boss!

TeoSheva said:
when Uran will be able to fight in a GT, he will have some little "uran" doing the job for him... now he's only a guy with zero wins in the last 4 years, and he has to do the job for his boss!

I never said he didn't. But the problems with the argument are:
1) wins aren't the only thing that counts otherwise Mehdi Sohrabi would be the best rider in the world;
2) wins and GC performances are harder to come by when you're domestiquing or not being supported for them, especially when you're just a young prospect
3) "his boss" is (or was) likely to ride in a less visually arresting style for many fans than a hot prospect with a free role for the first time.

I think it was right that Sky kept people waiting for Wiggins, as long as they felt Wiggins could stay in the race or get back to the group. Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I don't think it's a good thing that Wiggins crashed out, no way. But I can see why Ryo is more excited to see Urán off the leash.

When he's older and potentially fighting for GCs he'll have his own domestiques, sure, but that doesn't mean we can't be interested to see what we've got here. Especially when the parcours is more favourable to him than it was to Wiggins.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I think wiggins was the only guy that actually crashed of the team and the rest had to wait. for uran, the time lost is ashame but he has many years in front of him. the thing I really dislike is how sky ride around as if they are riding for contador or schleck. wiggins even in his best shot would never made a chance on podium or probably even top 5. it's kind of pathetic to have a whole team around you for you doing a meager top ten imo.

teams for basso, andy, contador, samu, vino and even gesink I can understand, while at least euskaltel still go in the attack.

You complete **** !

hey-i-think-they-mad.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ryo is complete looser for posting that, completely deluded stuff !

Though I hope Uran goes for the KOM and shows his massive potential.

A

Anonymous

Well, the Tour lost a real threat for GC today...and Wigans.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Karma's a *****

I have no sympathy for Wiggo. He showed exactly how much character he has by walking out on a contract with Garmin-Slipstream 2 years ago.

He didn't deserve to crash out of the TDF and get injured, but he doesn't deserve a spot on the podium, either.

He has no honor.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
lanternrouge said:
The only "truckload of epic failure" is the person who started this thread. What a sorry excuse for a man you are. I feel sorry for you.
Amen. Hey ho, the Ignore List goes to +1.

pkreed71 said:
I have no sympathy for Wiggo. He showed exactly how much character he has by walking out on a contract with Garmin-Slipstream 2 years ago.

He didn't deserve to crash out of the TDF and get injured, but he doesn't deserve a spot on the podium, either.

He has no honor.
Garmin got a sweet compensation though. I doubt JV is not happy with the deal these days.

I doubt JV was ever really unhappy. He did the deal when Wiggins was at the top of the market.

Shame for Wiggins. Whatever I think about a rider, it must be gut wrenching to train and race with for a target all year and then for it all to disappear in a few seconds.

I'm not sure that it's so bad for Sky though. The rest of the team can go for stages and they've got a good chance of picking up a couple. Realistically, that was probably always their best chance of success, not they don't have to worry about the GC they can go all out for it.

TRENDING THREADS