• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Slowtwitch and the reasoned decision?

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of media, any thoughts about Slowtwitch? I know some of you go over there once in a while...

Dan Empfield is trying to keep a tight ship there :D

But I find it interesting he is so silent on these matters, I expected some kind of editorial after the reasoned decision but he is gutless and chose to write about it before it dropped - in his editorial of Oct 1, 2012 he said that "nothing we hear this week should change our minds about USADA and our approach to it". Given it is his opinion, I don't know who the "our" is. Who does he think he is speaking for? The last liestrong fan standing????

Then Dan gets to the heart of the matter...

"USADA appears to me among the least subject to regular government oversight. I cannot find any evidence of any robust, transparent, check-and-balance there."

What about Judge Sparks Dan??? I believe he said USADA process was robust.

Now that the reasoned decision has dropped, we can see what USADA has been up to. Seems to me the reasoned decision should reflect Dan's criticism. Does it? I think not. UCI output reflects criticism, indeed it is ridiculous, but I can't see it from USADA.

So now Dan is silent.

On his site the reasoned decision announcement is as minimal as one can make it without obviously ignoring it. I would think with Lance moving back into Tri would generate a lot more discussion but only one thread is allowed, easy to keep a check on things and prevent real discussion and exploration. Easy to bury stuff in one mega thread and make it basically unreadable.

I wonder if Dan is feeling a growing unease that must be in his belly about the Armstrong shenanigans and the scope of the fraud. Somehow I doubt it. He is an enabler.

Dan Empfield of Slowtwitch is part of the problem and not part of the solution imho.

If this is a rant against Dan, so be it. Full disclosure: he banned me. :D :D

In his mind, Slowman is a staunch warrior against doping. By some odd twist of fate, he ends up defending every doper who comes along and parroting their talking points. The guy is incapable of seeing what he is.

Slowtwitch demonstrates the same type of corruption that infects cycling. Empfield's stated policy is to protect people and companies from "trial by Internet." The goal is to hide the truth if it will benefit the industry. If information cannot be shared freely then it eliminates one of the chief benefits of the Internet. Do not expect to get any legit information about products from Slowtwitch.

He banned me once for posting a link about Greg's Strock's lawsuit against Carmichael and the national team coaches. I guess CTS's deal with tri promoters needed to be protected.

After the Outside article about Livestrong came out, Empfield did his own investigation so he could assure the faithful that Armstrong foundation was on the up and up. He did this by asking the Livestrong people to tell him what he wanted to hear. Hard nosed investigation there. Mike Hammer would have been impressed.

Love the username.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
In his mind, Slowman is a staunch warrior against doping. By some odd twist of fate, he ends up defending every doper who comes along and parroting their talking points. The guy is incapable of seeing what he is.

Slowtwitch demonstrates the same type of corruption that infects cycling. Empfield's stated policy is to protect people and companies from "trial by Internet." The goal is to hide the truth if it will benefit the industry. If information cannot be shared freely then it eliminates one of the chief benefits of the Internet. Do not expect to get any legit information about products from Slowtwitch.

He banned me once for posting a link about Greg's Strock's lawsuit against Carmichael and the national team coaches. I guess CTS's deal with tri promoters needed to be protected.

After the Outside article about Livestrong came out, Empfield did his own investigation so he could assure the faithful that Armstrong foundation was on the up and up. He did this by asking the Livestrong people to tell him what he wanted to hear. Hard nosed investigation there. Mike Hammer would have been impressed.

Love the username.

Hell, the asswipe who works in Sensenbrenner's office who wrote the letter Sensenbrenner signed a couple of months ago posts there regularly. That place is a cesspool of stupidity.

Still got those Honey stinger ads up though...

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Funny, I found out about my ban when I was going to post a link with a quote from the author of the Outside piece that I came across... ironic!

PS BroDeal I think you nailed it exactly.

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
cathulu said:

Are you Paulo? Dan banned Paulo a few weeks ago after Paulo asked too many questions.

Dan Empfield has defended Lance all these years, and continues to do it. And then is offended and bans people when he's called out.

And of course not a word about the Reasoned Decision. Let's not talk about it, maybe it will go away!

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't respect Dan Empfield at all. He is one of the biggest Armstrong fanatics there is, yet he will play it off like he's an unbiased, impartial fan of the sport. He presents himself as this knowledgable expert, but he definitely is not.

He was at Interbike this year doing a fit session with Chrissie Wellington. He nearly put everyone to sleep. He's got some toys because of the success of his website, but he's a total fake. The old man is judgemental, obnoxious, and arrogant. Best to just stay off his website.

Agreed. Slowtwitch/Empfield keeping his mouth shut on this is pretty sick.

He attacked Uli Fluhme - the CEO of the NY Gran Fondo - who has been very vehement in his anti-doping stance. It struck me as bizarre as Uli's intentions and statements were very, very honorable.

So yeah, Empfield is part of the problem. Immersed in the status quo and doesn't want to do anything that may upset the powers that be.

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Dan Empfield also likes to do stuff behind the curtains. I wouldn't be surprised if he contacted the moderators here to take this thread down, threatening them with legal action. So if this thread goes bye-bye, you'll know why.

The triathlete crowd is marinating in PED's. Those yuppies are the driving engines behind anti-aging clinics, and like many cheaters, they don't consider what they do as cheating.

So it fits in perffectly with their Machiavellian world view that Armstrong ingested potentially toxic drugs and dangerous blood transfusions to win. What they don't appreciate is that all that is now out in the open.

delleErbe said:
Agreed. Slowtwitch/Empfield keeping his mouth shut on this is pretty sick.

He attacked Uli Fluhme - the CEO of the NY Gran Fondo - who has been very vehement in his anti-doping stance. It struck me as bizarre as Uli's intentions and statements were very, very honorable.

That was a clear demonstration of why he does not have the right temperment to be a moderator of his own forum. At the same he banned Uli, he also banned the promoter of Savage Man and the longtime poster Francois, who Empfield repeatedly claims is a friend if you can believe it. He will wade into a thread and when challenged, he flies off the handle and bans people. Even worse, he will intimidate people into kowtowing to him under threat of banishment. The most hilarious example came last month when he decided to defend the honor of a female blogger who wrote a cringeworthy article about how her M-Dot tattoo marked her as a superior person. The sexism involved and his denial of it was mind blowing. It was like watching a racist from the 1950s claim some of his friends are black. It was funny stuff.

He is just a nasty person with a big ego. If he had the capability of self reflection he would realize that he is not suitable to be a moderator and it would be better to let someone else handle the job.

It is sad that Slowtwitch is the largest tri forum and is run by a power mad doping apologist. Beginner Triathlete is full of clueless one-and-doners. Transitions has people with their heads screwed on right.

Triathlon was lucky to escape Armstrong. He would have made a mockery of the sport.

cathulu said:
Speaking of media, any thoughts about Slowtwitch? I know some of you go over there once in a while...

But I find it interesting he is so silent on these matters, I expected some kind of editorial after the reasoned decision but he is gutless and chose to write about it before it dropped - in his editorial of Oct 1, 2012 he said that "nothing we hear this week should change our minds about USADA and our approach to it". Given it is his opinion, I don't know who the "our" is. Who does he think he is speaking for? The last liestrong fan standing????

"USADA appears to me among the least subject to regular government oversight. I cannot find any evidence of any robust, transparent, check-and-balance there."

Now that the reasoned decision has dropped, we can see what USADA has been up to. Seems to me the reasoned decision should reflect Dan's criticism. Does it? I think not. UCI output reflects criticism, indeed it is ridiculous, but I can't see it from USADA.

So now Dan is silent.

On his site the reasoned decision announcement is as minimal as one can make it without obviously ignoring it. I would think with Lance moving back into Tri would generate a lot more discussion but only one thread is allowed, easy to keep a check on things and prevent real discussion and exploration. Easy to bury stuff in one mega thread and make it basically unreadable.

I wonder if Dan is feeling a growing unease that must be in his belly about the Armstrong shenanigans and the scope of the fraud. Somehow I doubt it. He is an enabler.

Dan Empfield of Slowtwitch is part of the problem and not part of the solution imho.

I am banned too.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
cathulu said:

So now Dan is silent.

You know, there's this kinda big event going on now somewhere in the Pacific, and Dan is sorta involved in that this week, and maybe just doesn't have the time to read the entire thing and intelligently respond on your schedule.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
klehner said:
You know, there's this kinda big event going on now somewhere in the Pacific, and Dan is sorta involved in that this week, and maybe just doesn't have the time to read the entire thing and intelligently respond on your schedule.

I am not sure one can apply the word 'intelligently' to anbody who in 2012 did not believe Armstrong was a doper.;)

Bet many Slowtwitchers, those who can read, felt embarrassed when reading USADA 200 pages reason decision.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
klehner said:

The Dooshbag World Championships is this weekend??? Who cares?

Maybe he shouldn't have been a doping apologist for so many years...maybe then he'd have much less to "respond" to, right?

Benotti69 said:
I am not sure one can apply the word 'intelligently' to anbody who in 2012 did not believe Armstrong was a doper.;)

Bet many Slowtwitchers, those who can read, felt embarrassed when reading USADA 200 pages reason decision.

do you think they actually read any of it? they just got their talking points from Herman, et al, paraphrased, thanked the lords of the interwebs for spellcheck and hit submit on their message boards. As soon as they saw file names ending in .pdf they probably just went scurrying, " Hamilton, Andreu and Landis. Old News!!!"

( I have a co-worker who rubs his little yellow bracey and says he is ' moving on ' , whatevs, I like him, just leave this subject alone. When it comes to this they are drones. Sux to be them.)

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
klehner said:

Arguably the biggest USA Cycling or Cycling Story period ever- and it's been building all year long- and you say Kona is the reason for his lack of response? FAIL. Please tell me how Dan will ever give you an unbiased opinion on LA. If anything- he is part of his marketing PR Arm.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=424684;search_string=lemond;#424684

Slowman

Jun 10, 05 20:18

Post #2 of 10 (772 views)
Re: Greg LeMond vs. Lance Armstrong [drewface05] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
"Lance said something along the lines of always wanting to keep fit, unlike LeMond who put on 40 LBs since he stopped cycling."

keep in mind ongoing medical issues with lemond.

i have a history with lance, and because of that intersection will always be a big lance fan, will wish him the best, always root for his success.

that said, i am a huge lemond fan as well. i was in the right place at the right time, through sheer fate and an accident of geography, and watched them both--lance and greg--in their early days of cycling. they each have a fire in their belly. greg was the last of the old school, lance is the epitome of modern cycling. they each have their approach, their views, how they see the sport. i can appreciate both views. i started riding right when greg did, in the early 70s, in his same town (reno). and then of course there's lance, former triathlete, who spent a lot of time living at my house when starting out with the eddy b. suburu montgomery team.

best (in my view) not to pit the two against each other. as to any animosity, within a year, or two, or five, it'll all be over. it's a transitory flap. at some point in the future, when each are retired, they'll be sharing beers. i'll act as if that day is now, tho it isn't. we've been blessed to have two trailblazing americans, and largely as a result americans now captain several european teams. who'd a thunk it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
klehner said:

Nice rationalization there. It's obvious what Empfield is doing.

You keep posting there, giving the old man hits and contribute to his bank account. Empfield likes your type of lemming that not only doesn't mind to post under a dictatorship but also defends the dictator to the others.

TRENDING THREADS