• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Snooker

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Okay, I had to look up Hendry. This is just impossibly good. 2012 World Championships:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh64worbGqc

Great to see this. My favourites are from Ronnie O'Sullivan though, he plays so fast and makes it all look really easy. Did you see this one? First he asks the referee if there is a price for the maximum break, then when he finds out there isn't he plays it anyways but doesn't want to play the last black ball. Then his opponent talks him into it so he still plays it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7We78kb1BeI

jamiephillips said:
Athlete however, well ok then I suppose in the same way that a darts player is an athlete I'll give you that one. :)

I do believe they are athletes because those final games that go for hours and hours must be physically exhausting

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Is Stephen Lee an athlete as well? :) I like O'Sullivan too, but organically cannot accept people who are most rooted for (the same like with Andy and others), that's why I always prefer Hendry no matter how he performs. It's experience, aesthetics and steel nerves. Look at his sight, oh...The Legend! What else could I add?))

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
OK, you guys won the battle. How you´d call it? Sportsman?

Sportsman_kenyan_version_ks_20_s_kenya.jpg

:D:D:D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
I do believe they are athletes because those final games that go for hours and hours must be physically exhausting

Of course they are athletes. They are no different than for example cyclists who sit on the bike for 6 hrs. every day.
The billard/snooker players train every day at least 6 hrs.! If no training, then tournament, where matches take 5/6 hrs. (they train anyway on those days to prepare). To keep fit lots of guys (if not all) do swimming & running too, etc.!

How Stephen Lee for example manages all this and still keeps his weight wayyy up, is indeed his secret. :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
al_pacino said:
Want to see an athlete you need to see the ref try to keep up when tony Drago is on a big break.

That´s a good one. LMAO... Drago, Higgins, all the fast players i like. The opposite is Ebdon. I switch off TV when i see his face. He needs 10 mins for a simple straight shot. I had opponents like this. They annoy you.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
The opposite is Ebdon. I switch off TV when i see his face. He needs 10 mins for a simple straight shot. I had opponents like this. They annoy you.

Apparently Ebdon can drive Ronnie completely up the wall. Mainly when Ronnie has one of his... weird moments.

---

LoL! Someone just asked how far the players walk... pretty far when you think about it, with all their walking around the table.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
The most boring WC from 8 I followed. O'Sullivan shows nothing, but even that will be enough for the title.

Have to agree with this (and I've seen a lot more than 8). Apart from the Carter/Trump match, there's been nothing of interest.

Doubt the final will be much good either. O'Sullivan to either crack completely or dominate. Either way, it may well be over with a session to spare.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
jsem94 said:
Just noticed this thread. I've been glued to the TV the last 2 weeks.

This time of the year is awesome.
Yes same here, i dont usually go into cafe and never post even concerning my favorite sports like footie and cricket but this years WC and snooker in general over past year i have found really great!
It has been like a 2nd cycling in a way because barely anyone i know knows or cares about it, exactly like cycling.
Of course by the fact that i am a massive Ronnie fan I have been totally transfixed this year to the WC.
airstream said:
The most boring WC from 8 I followed. O'Sullivan shows nothing, but even that will be enough for the title.

O' sullivan just turning up and being O'sullivan is entertaining enough for me.

Its currently 10-6 to O'sullivan tbh I find it difficult to see Carter winning unless O'sullivan has a total mental brake down tonight and forgets to call Peeters;)
Carter is great but O'sullivan just has the ability to take a frame away without giving another opportunity. Compound this to the fact that Carter is taking all his opportunities and Carter doesnt have much chance.
Also did anyone see frame 7 of this match, unbelievable!!:eek:

Ugh. Ali's turned into a mini Ebdon. He's been playing really defensively, and his safety has been mostly spot on. He's failed to take his chances in the break building though - this is where Ronnie has been miles ahead of Ali, and none are even playing near their best offensively.

Ali's also starting to look tired - those long matches with complex tactics are starting to take their toll.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Actually it was clear from the start that O´Sullivan will win. I just wonder what´s more boring, a flat stage or this snooker final...

yes, after 2 or 3 games it obvious that ronnie was a level above the captain that even tho he was getting advice from ebdon was nowhere near ronnie's level on both defending and attacking.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Selby's on a winning streak of his career. UK Championship and The Masters joint with a PTC.
Deserved number 1 and a lovable character.

It was an entertaining Masters. Plenty of turnovers.
The final could have been more exciting though.

Trump should brace up quickly, for the sake of the game. German masters and Welsh open are around the corner.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ronnie will defend the title.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/21575730

While in China the current number one player, Selby, plays tomorrow morning CET against L(y)u Haotian.
Pay attention to this kid. I'm looking forward to his matches since International Championship and duel against Neil Robertson.
The youngster played very well yesterday.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ronnie is perhaps too big for snooker but I sure like that he's back. His form the last years has been markov like (out first round one tournament, wins next) so it's ahrd to say where he'll be.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think he's too big. I would prefer to say - he would have been great in any sport he'd have chosen.
It's going to be very difficult for him to hit the top form without competition.
But if he passes the first round, and goes through the first session of the second round well, everything will be possible.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
If there is anyone who can not play for a while, practice for a few weeks and still compete it's Ronnie, agree if he can get through the first couple of rounds he will be in with a great chance of winning.