• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So does this WADA rule apply to cycling?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/associating-drug-cheats-forbidden-2015-code-205926712.html

Beginning this year, athletes in Olympic sports who work with trainers, coaches or agents who have been banned for doping will be in jeopardy of receiving a ban, as well.

The most noteworthy of the new rules in the World Anti-Doping Agency's 2015 code is a prohibition from working with people who have been sanctioned themselves

So, will working for Mr 60%, Vino, Hog etc get you a ban now? Only if this were true then the team cars are going to be pretty empty.

Mrs John Murphy said:
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/associating-drug-cheats-forbidden-2015-code-205926712.html

So, will working for Mr 60%, Vino, Hog etc get you a ban now? Only if this were true then the team cars are going to be pretty empty.

There are more details of changes here: http://www.lk-k.com/data/document/r...world-anti-doping-code-wslr-december-2013.pdf

I think the reference is essentially to association with someone whose ban is current.

It would apply to cycling.

From that we get

This means that an Athlete may be sanctioned for 'association'" with any ASP who:

• is serving a period of ineligibility for an ADRV;
• has been convicted or found to have engaged in conduct which would constitute an ADRV;
or
• is serving as a front or intermediary for such an individual.

I am not sure if 'has been' means 'is currently' or 'has been' means in the past - ie sprinters working with Jon Drummond

Does Riis confessing mean he's been convicted?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
There goes Manolo Saiz's return to cycling.......

Riis was never sanctioned, yet, so lets hope the Danish AD do something and sanction him.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
From that we get

I am not sure if 'has been' means 'is currently' or 'has been' means in the past - ie sprinters working with Jon Drummond

Does Riis confessing mean he's been convicted?

has been convicted or found to have engaged in conduct which would constitute an ADRV

This part is about people outside the anti doping authoreties jurisdiction, people like Matschiner, Conte, Motoman.

The rule isn't an adaptation of Sky's zero tolerance policy, it is a tool to stop athletes and teams working with the likes of Dr. Ferrari.

Like others have said, it seems the intent is to gain some control when individuals are outside of WADA's control, like the Ferrari's of the world.

Athletes are supposed to be provided with a list of people they are prohibited from associating with. I'm sure there will be some obfuscation, but eventually an official list should be publicized.

More Strides than Rides said:
Like others have said, it seems the intent is to gain some control when individuals are outside of WADA's control, like the Ferrari's of the world.

Athletes are supposed to be provided with a list of people they are prohibited from associating with. I'm sure there will be some obfuscation, but eventually an official list should be publicized.

What? Ferrari is a dear friend to athletes around the world. Any misunderstanding about associating with a great guy like Saiz is your fault. The federations will not sanction any athlete who pays for protection.

Unfortunately, this will increase the opportunities for federation officials to do the dope distribution. We've already seen it in Canada, Russia and Spain.

Wonderboy's motorpacing business is all good.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
What? Ferrari is a dear friend to athletes around the world. Any misunderstanding about associating with a great guy like Saiz is your fault. The federations will not sanction any athlete who pays for protection.

Are they not all misunderstood?

DirtyWorks said:
Unfortunately, this will increase the opportunities for federation officials to do the dope distribution. We've already seen it in Canada, Russia and Spain.

Probably the only purpose of this rule.

DirtyWorks said:
Wonderboy's motorpacing business is all good.

Set to expand.....

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Granville57 said:
That is a very good question.

Here is WADAS comment to the article:

[Comment to Article 2.10: Athletes
and other Persons must not work with
coaches, trainers, physicians or other
Athlete Support Personnel who are
Ineligible on account of an antidoping
rule violation or who have been
criminally convicted or professionally
disciplined in relation to doping. Some
examples of the types of association
which are prohibited include: obtaining
training
, strategy, technique, nutrition
or medical advice; obtaining therapy,
treatment or prescriptions; providing
any bodily products for analysis; or
allowing the Athlete Support Person
to serve as an agent or representative.
Prohibited association need not involve
any form of compensation.]

If motopacing is training then Lance might not be the best choice.

However, one could imagine lawyers having a field day with these definitions?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
If there goes Saiz then why not Riis, Vino etc?

I think 99% should go. But Riis will sue as he stands currently.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Maybe it might make people look at the likes of Och, Sutton etc again.

No one is going to look back. But it is there to be used arbitrarily as the National Federations choose to their own liking.

wrinklyvet said:
There are more details of changes here: http://www.lk-k.com/data/document/r...world-anti-doping-code-wslr-december-2013.pdf

I think the reference is essentially to association with someone whose ban is current.

It would apply to cycling.

Yes, it has to be a current ban, or criminally convicted, as the WADA language refers to 'ineligibility'.

Riis has never been sanctioned. Vino's sanction has completed. As have the ineligibility periods for Levi, George and Ryder so their Fondo's should not have any issues. But, Lance's ineligibility lasts forever!

DirtyWorks said:

Have I missed something? Say more!!

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
mrhender said:

"Prohibited association need not involve any form of compensation," the UCI writes in a comment.
The last part would seem to negate what would likely be the first excuse of TeJay van Tesla. :rolleyes:

Looks like the bromance might have to come to an end. :(

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

D-Queued said:
Have I missed something? Say more!!

The reference is to this:

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=28643&title=cycling-canada-doping-consultation-report-key-findings
• Two interviewees independently provided information that a former Canadian sports administrator had assisted Canadian riders in obtaining PEDs.

images

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
If you wanted to work with Ferrari you could just use a 3rd person or even 4th.
Phones are easy to get. Even sneak off in a wi fi café for a face to face chat.

More stupid laws that will have no effect on a rider who wants to juice up.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
ray j willings said:

Why is this a stupid "law"?

Anti-doping systems are doomed to fail.
I know...

But would you rather that WADA did nothing at all?

Can you offer a better (and maybe even realistic) alternative to prevent former cheats being part of the sport?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ray j willings said:

Yeah that really worked for Astana!

People will get caught as doping involves illegal use of pharmaceuticals and civil police forces get involved in the investigation. Follow the money trail.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
TailWindHome said:
Be interesting to see it applied to family relationships for one.

Andy wouldn't have been allowed to play with Frank anymore.

I read somewhere that family members are ok..
can't remember where though..

I think the formula was if that you could not "avoid" association then it does not apply..

mrhender said:

However, one could imagine lawyers having a field day with these definitions?

??? Lance is a friend. No one is getting training advice. Just having a sufferfest followed by a beer.

The gold medal standard for this was a Track and Field athlete that medaled in London then goes to her press conference soon after the medal ceremony and called a lifetime-banned sports agent frequently seen with her despite the ban 'a close family friend.' :rolleyes:

As well intentioned as the rule is, the usual athletes will get the free pass. This is where the NADO had the authority to open cases, some brown stuff would hit the fan.

mrhender said:
I read somewhere that family members are ok..
can't remember where though..

I think the formula was if that you could not "avoid" association then it does not apply..

So can we expect a Dertie Cont-Riis civil partnership in the near future?

In response, Brailsford announces he is having a sex change and is marrying Froome.

Vino gets the law changed in Kazakhstan so all team members are classed as family. Said Vino, 'Blood is thicker than water, especially if you have a lot of EPO in it'

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
??? Lance is a friend. No one is getting training advice. Just having a sufferfest followed by a beer.

The gold medal standard for this was a Track and Field athlete that medaled in London then goes to her press conference soon after the medal ceremony and called a lifetime-banned sports agent frequently seen with her despite the ban 'a close family friend.' :rolleyes:

That is why i performed the last sentence....

TRENDING THREADS