• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So does this WADA rule apply to cycling?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TailWindHome said:
Be interesting to see it applied to family relationships for one.

Andy wouldn't have been allowed to play with Frank anymore.

The exception expressed in the WADA document is, "The provision shall not apply when the Athlete cannot reasonably avoid the association. Nevertheless, the burden shall be on the Athlete to demonstrate that any association is not in a professional or sport-related capacity."

This is in the document for which I posted a link previously, i.e. http://www.lk-k.com/data/document/ri...ember-2013.pdf

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
So can we expect a Dertie Cont-Riis civil partnership in the near future?

In response, Brailsford announces he is having a sex change and is marrying Froome.

Vino gets the law changed in Kazakhstan so all team members are classed as family. Said Vino, 'Blood is thicker than water, especially if you have a lot of EPO in it'

Thanks for the laugh ;)

May be good to swap blood bags in the nearest future..
To become one big family and all :eek::D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
mrhender said:
I read somewhere that family members are ok..
can't remember where though.
I assume then that the Iglinskys are praying for some sort of double-negative exoneration from all this.

Mrs John Murphy said:
So can we expect...
Yeah, pretty much exactly what I was imagining. :D

wrinklyvet said:
The exception expressed in the WADA document is, "The provision shall not apply when the Athlete cannot reasonably avoid the association. Nevertheless, the burden shall be on the Athlete to demonstrate that any association is not in a professional or sport-related capacity."
Interesting. I wonder how that would have worked for the Schlecks?

Breakfast, lunch, dinner and dolphin swim: OK

Riding bicycles together: Not OK?

Hmmm.

Granville57 said:
Interesting. I wonder how that would have worked for the Schlecks?

Breakfast, lunch, dinner and dolphin swim: OK

Riding bicycles together: Not OK?

Hmmm.

Quite amusing but it's only about Athlete Support Personnel (ASP) and I assume one Schleck could easily rebut a suggestion that his brother fits in that category (however much one may support the other).

An ASP is defined as: 'Any coach, trainer, manager, agent, team staff, official, medical, paramedical personnel, parent or any other Person working
with, treating or assisting an Athlete participating in or preparing for sports Competition'.

So I think the Schlecks don't have a problem there!

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
wrinklyvet said:
An ASP is defined as: 'Any coach, trainer, manager, agent, team staff, official, medical, paramedical personnel, parent or any other Person working
with, treating or assisting an Athlete participating in or preparing for sports Competition'.

In all seriousness though, I would think that under these new rules, if Andy and Frank had been on training rides together while Frank was banned, it certainly would be a violation.

Wouldn't that fall under the category of "assisting an athlete preparing for sports competition"?

Andy Schleck's ASP

I don't know, Andy always seemed to want to cross the line holding Frank's hand in one and a my little pony in another.

50% of the time looking at Dertie Conts rear wheel and 50% of the time looking back to see where Frank was.

ASP duties in Frank's case involved the cleaning of diapers, reading a bed time story, and checking that there were no monsters under Andy's bed. Andy's recurrent nightmare involved an angry bald man with a syringe chasing him and a man with an expanding head laughing at him.

Granville57 said:
In all seriousness though, I would think that under these new rules, if Andy and Frank had been on training rides together while Frank was banned, it certainly would be a violation.

Wouldn't that fall under the category of "assisting an athlete preparing for sports competition"?

Yes, that does sound likely, assuming it was when the rules had come into force and one of them was banned at that time..

wrinklyvet said:
Quite amusing but it's only about Athlete Support Personnel (ASP) and I assume one Schleck could easily rebut a suggestion that his brother fits in that category (however much one may support the other).

So I think the Schlecks don't have a problem there!
Rick Zabel may be in a spot of bother if the Germans ever sanction his Dad though! :eek:

TRENDING THREADS