• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So, ... WHO do I root for???

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Bikies & Bikers,

I've been following the Tour since i was sixteen in 1968! I remember when LeMond won his first stage - the final-stage TT (i first saw Greg race in Fairfax when he was 14 y/o). When Lance came along, i was the first person in moab; (btw, the first american to ride the Tour was born in moab) to say "he'll surely win five !! Then came his cancer. Then came the seven years of Lance, ... now, it seems almost certain that he was/is amped up on PED's. I am not sure WHAT to think !!! I must admit, i was glued to the 2010 Tour up to and after he crashed out. I was hopeing he would pull off the win! I have long held the belief the L.A. would be winning the Tour into his forties...or fifties

And NOW ... Contedor's drug case ... geez! .... "i kissed a cow that had just eaten clenbuteral"... ???!!!??? And all the other PED revelations. (i need to add how angry i was with Bijarne Riis who was SO clearly supercharged when he "won" the tour. HOW could ANYone Trust him, now? WHY does he have ANY credibility in cycling??? What light does he shine on Schleck??? I really wonder why schleck doesn't comment on Contedor cheating, ... just like Indurain didn't complain about Riis won (and Kerry allowed Bush to steal the prez). Hmmmmmm???

But, my dilemma now is, ... WHERE do i place my Hopes ?!? What about the furute .... Phinney for example, ... can i belive he is riding clean??? Is it possible???

My solution for the Tour de France is that it should be open to ... ANYone and EVERYone ... a REAL Tour. THOUSands would ride each stage - a real spectacle !!! The emphises would not be on the fastest, but on the Party! Riding for pleasure & fitness. NO more big teams ... NO more big bucks !!!

Lastly, I have placed much of my Hope on events like the Tour of Mumbai and the succes/progress of teams like Team Rwanda (lead by Boyer (aka Moabman). I was SOOO pleased to read O'ragy's comments about riding in India .. yes, it IS another world !!! But, what gives me Hope is, ... Indians use bicycles in REAL LIFE< .. not just for fun, and fitness. I great man (Samuel Lewis) once said, ..."India has every answer to america's problems and america has every answer to India's problems".

In India, I once saw a school bus - filled with children - powered by one rider !!! I tried - unsuccessfully - to explain that toe-clips (nevermind clipless pedals) would make his riding MUCH easier !!! Then again, his spokes were made of broomsticks!!! btw; note my profile pic; at the airport in Delhi)

I Hope that "the west" will use bicycles more and more for utility cycling and that "the east" will follow our enlightened example rather than follow us down the dismal road of automobiles and consumerism.

Live Long and ... perspire,

Witz
p25994417.html

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ItsWitz said:
Bikies & Bikers,

I've been following the Tour since i was sixteen in 1968! I remember when LeMond won his first stage - the final-stage TT (i first saw Greg race in Fairfax when he was 14 y/o). When Lance came along, i was the first person in moab; (btw, the first american to ride the Tour was born in moab) to say "he'll surely win five !! Then came his cancer. Then came the seven years of Lance, ... now, it seems almost certain that he was/is amped up on PED's. I am not sure WHAT to think !!! I must admit, i was glued to the 2010 Tour up to and after he crashed out. I was hopeing he would pull off the win! I have long held the belief the L.A. would be winning the Tour into his forties...or fifties

And NOW ... Contedor's drug case ... geez! .... "i kissed a cow that had just eaten clenbuteral"... ???!!!??? And all the other PED revelations. (i need to add how angry i was with Bijarne Riis who was SO clearly supercharged when he "won" the tour. HOW could ANYone Trust him, now? WHY does he have ANY credibility in cycling??? What light does he shine on Schleck??? I really wonder why schleck doesn't comment on Contedor cheating, ... just like Indurain didn't complain about Riis won (and Kerry allowed Bush to steal the prez). Hmmmmmm???

But, my dilemma now is, ... WHERE do i place my Hopes ?!? What about the furute .... Phinney for example, ... can i belive he is riding clean??? Is it possible???

My solution for the Tour de France is that it should be open to ... ANYone and EVERYone ... a REAL Tour. THOUSands would ride each stage - a real spectacle !!! The emphises would not be on the fastest, but on the Party! Riding for pleasure & fitness. NO more big teams ... NO more big bucks !!!

Lastly, I have placed much of my Hope on events like the Tour of Mumbai and the succes/progress of teams like Team Rwanda (lead by Boyer (aka Moabman). I was SOOO pleased to read O'ragy's comments about riding in India .. yes, it IS another world !!! But, what gives me Hope is, ... Indians use bicycles in REAL LIFE< .. not just for fun, and fitness. I great man (Samuel Lewis) once said, ..."India has every answer to america's problems and america has every answer to India's problems".

In India, I once saw a school bus - filled with children - powered by one rider !!! I tried - unsuccessfully - to explain that toe-clips (nevermind clipless pedals) would make his riding MUCH easier !!! Then again, his spokes were made of broomsticks!!! btw; note my profile pic; at the airport in Delhi)

I Hope that "the west" will use bicycles more and more for utility cycling and that "the east" will follow our enlightened example rather than follow us down the dismal road of automobiles and consumerism.

Live Long and ... perspire,

Witz
p25994417.html

So, can Gary Fischer, Pigpen, and Joe Breeze ride the tour also?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Cancellara
Gesink
Grabsch
Gilbert
Cunego
Gerdemann
Roche!

Just to name a few. But like others have said, it can never hurt to cheer your lungs dry for Jens Voigt!

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Joey, Spidey, and Glickfield ...?

flicker said:
So, can Gary Fischer, Pigpen, and Joe Breeze ride the tour also?

My point exactly .... Gary & Joe would head up a great group of "Tour" riders.

Glick .... sure, why not.

Witz

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
May 13, 2009
Visit site
This is a very non-inteligent thread. Root for whoever you want dude!

What are you expecting? Replies from a bunch of goofs along the lines "Hey man Root for Basson...I swear he is clean!!! "
:rolleyes:

The human brain...what a fascinating thing:D

ItsWitz said:
Bikies & Bikers,

...But, my dilemma now is, ... WHERE do i place my Hopes ?!? What about the furute .... Phinney for example, ... can i belive he is riding clean??? Is it possible???

...Witz

Well, don't feel too bad about cycling. Really! It isn't so bad as you might think when you put cycling in perspective with all sport. And most other sports have worse doping issues than cycling... it's just we don't hear about doping in other sport because not much is done in other sport to control it. (is control the wrong word?) Anyway, that's why I say don't get too down about cycling just because of doping.

That's not to say we should now be content where cycling is at with doping. Should we keep forging ahead to fight doping? You bet. IMO

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
hector5950 said:
Here's an idea: Grow up and stop "placing your hopes" on other people just because they can ride bicycles really fast for long distances.

What an extremely hurtful thing to say. I think I will buy another bike to get over it. Lets' see now, what is my hero Cadel Evens riding this year....

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
hector5950 said:
Here's an idea: Grow up and stop "placing your hopes" on other people just because they can ride bicycles really fast for long distances.

thank f.uck, an adult.

i've asked the question before and i'll do it again, why do grown-ups feel the need to have a sporting hero based on basically nothing? :confused:

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:
This is a very non-inteligent thread. Root for whoever you want dude!

What are you expecting? Replies from a bunch of goofs along the lines "Hey man Root for Basson...I swear he is clean!!! "
:rolleyes:

The human brain...what a fascinating thing:D

YOU ... are the 1st "goof" to reply !!!

and, ... who're you calling dude, ... Dude !?!

Lighten Up!

jeez .... some people are vicious in here .... they say things they would never say to a person face to face, because no one has to identify themselves.

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
thank f.uck, an adult.

i've asked the question before and i'll do it again, why do grown-ups feel the need to have a sporting hero based on basically nothing? :confused:

Beats the cr@p out of me.

I don't even understand the whole love of teams/team sports thing either.

Rok on if you have a hero or live for some silly team sport. [whoops, did I just type that out loud?]

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Why do you have to root for anybody? Just watch the races or follow them however you can. Real simple scenario:

Person #1: You going to watch the race this weekend?
Person #2: Yeah, probably will.
Person #1: Who you pulling for?
Person #2: Nobody.
Person #1: So you are just going to watch?
Person #2: Yup!
Person #1: Oh (while scratching head)

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
thank f.uck, an adult.

Nonsensical argument. The reason ANY of us watch sport is b/c of the emotional connection we get from it, our ability to identify w/ at least one athlete in the competition.

If you disagree w/ this, you are either kidding yourself or are some type of auto-maton savant.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
Nonsensical argument. The reason ANY of us watch sport is b/c of the emotional connection we get from it, our ability to identify w/ at least one athlete in the competition.

If you disagree w/ this, you are either kidding yourself or are some type of auto-maton savant.
Big difference in having riders you like and want to see do well and mindless hero worship of people because they can ride a bike or kick a ball.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Clearly Unstable said:
Beats the cr@p out of me.

I don't even understand the whole love of teams/team sports thing either.

Rok on if you have a hero or live for some silly team sport. [whoops, did I just type that out loud?]

team sports - like fotball - are tribal, you are attached to the team from your home town, traditionally the team defend your honour, show that your town is better at sport than the neighbouring one or one of them soft southern towns.

also traditionally you've often got a workingclass team vs the middleclass team within most cities.

none of this will apply to the us, as, let's face it, that place has no honour and shows no respect towards the important things in a sport like football. the franchising, the moving clubs out of their real home town, disgusting stuff

as the saying goes, every proper fan of football knows that football is the least important thing in football

TRENDING THREADS