• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So Who's the Coolest Rider Ever ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta be the Lion King.

1.jpg

A

Anonymous

I have to go with Cipo. I remember a quote by him sometime in the early 90's to the effect of "Not only am I the fastest man in the peloton, but I am also the best looking." That and another about "I have a room where I keep all of my beautiful things." That kind of style is genetic.

I also remember him on Brasstown Bald imploring (with great style and flair) people to push him......and people did.

Funny, I went to wiki and guess what picture they have? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Cipollini

• Haha
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
These guys have a certain style.

Pascal Richard
Maurizio Fondriest
Tom Boonen
The bloke with the pony tail who raced against Cipo in the Giro... What's his name..?

On the other hand..

Rolf Jaermann (or The Vampire as my sister christened him. Sorry Rolf, you were a great rider, not a style icon..)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
Those 2 Columbian's fighting at the tour. Tipped as the worst fight ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-bMiyES46Y

It's a pain in the buttocks to keep your balance on those '80s cleats (reversed high heels)! No wonder they looked like a disturbing scene taken from dancing with the stars...

Anyhow, back on topic.

I have to go with Gert Jan Theunisse, especially because he always blew his nose in a handkerchief, no matter where he was or in what condition. On top of that I believe he is the least tested cyclist, while being found positive the most!

delgado_theunisse.jpg

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Coolest rider ever?..........Cipo is good, but the original stud was Anquetil, without a doubt.
9781845963019.jpg

The whole stepdaughter, wife, stepsons wife thing is a little over the top. Kind of creepy to me. But then again, I am puritanical.:p

I admit, Anquetil had a certain seedy flair, but when it comes to that kind of stuff: what about all the pre-podium quicky rumors, and how many trade shows have you seen covered where there wasn't a picture of Cipo flanked by four, five, six, or even more ridiculous women?

And also:

n1654065037_9706.jpg

As far as style goes, I'll definitely agree with Mario, no doubt.

As to cool as in tough, I'll go with Hinault. He always had a very menacing look on his face like he was going to eat your kids, and he rode like it as well. Almost always at the front, or attacking, even if it did him in as well. No one really rides like that anymore.

06_hinault.jpg

A

Anonymous

i would say cippo, he certainly ticked all the boxes...

until he did this....

23.jpg

unforgivable... so phil anderson gets my vote for being amusing..

Is it just me that thinks Cipo was a total cheeseball? We're talking Deney Terrio here.

How could anyone with this 'doo ever be considered cool?

mario-cipollini-thumb.jpg

A couple of designer suits and some hair gel doesn't make you cool, it makes you a cliché.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Quote from Billy Joe Armstrong of Green Day fame:

“A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over a garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No that's trendy!”

Classic! Cipo has a certain charisma, but he's trendy when it comes to style--which doesn't make him classy to me.

Love Simoni! But I don't know if I consider his personal style "classy" or "coolest". Gibo looks ****ing fine in a suit, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS