• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
can anyone recommend a really good sock for keeping my feet warm. i know it is cold at the moment but even in summer my feet sometimes get cold which obviously slows me down. prefferably an ankle type sock

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Wool performance socks are the absolute best! Best temp regulating fabric on earth. I use DeFeet wooleators for cycling, and SmartWool's PhD socks for snow sports, they also have cycling socks.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
I like SmartWool socks.

Krebs you are living in Mexico:mad: Why do you need winter socks?

I did not find reasonable solution. I just wear Defeat leviator or something, another regular el cheapo socks and overshoes, and always find my feet wet and cold. But i am also having that problem with regular shoes.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Notso Swift said:
Mexico can get cold too, especially if you are high)
??
1197849303661.jpg

or

DSCF5345.JPG

Actually I am on the coast just below San Diego and it can be very cold and damp. They make thin running socks that work well when it's hot. I like them because of the comfort and moister wicking. They also don't get smelly like synthetic materials.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Well what can i say? I imagine Mexico like Pancho Villa, John Ford kind of movies.
But you guys should really be happy with those temp. readings.
Notso, are you saying that in Australia (land of Air Conditioning) you need also winter socks? Is there some skiing resort near you:D

I hate cold, i thinking to move here
tisno2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
??
1197849303661.jpg

Actually I am on the coast just below San Diego and it can be very cold and damp. They make thin running socks that work well when it's hot. I like them because of the comfort and moister wicking. They also don't get smelly like synthetic materials.

Well I heard of Medical Marijuana for hair loss but not for hare loss. :D

But to address the OP question. I agree smartwool make some great socks that work great at keeping your feet warm and dry. I have used them in most of their types, from hiking, to snow sports, to running and biking without complaint.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Smartwool PhD cycling socks are my favorite for long rides all year long. The compression pattern actually stimulates circulation in my feet. After several hours of riding, wool maintains its loft better than the synthetics.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ahh Krebs you will have the RSPCA on you if you are not careful

oldborn said:
Well what can i say? I imagine Mexico like Pancho Villa, John Ford kind of movies.
But you guys should really be happy with those temp. readings.
Notso, are you saying that in Australia (land of Air Conditioning) you need also winter socks? Is there some skiing resort near you:D
Melbourne regularly gets to 0dC for winter mornings (never snow, though the outer 'burbs get it sometimes) and up to 40dC (2 years ago we had 47!) at the height of summer so we get it all :)
(Not exactly sure what that is in dF, but about 30 to 110)
...and ski fields are about an hour for crap ones or 2 hours for decent stuff

So winter socks and booties full finger gloves are all ok, but if you were in a balaclava you would be weird!

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
At outdoors/camping shops you can get socks made from material that is the same as plastic bags even though it's fabric. The cheaper option is to cut a plastic bag and place over your toes and under your socks. You won't make your foot bulky this way, but I imagine your toes might get sweaty.

If your feet are getting cold in summer you may have a circulation problem. Go to your doctor and get a referal for doppler scan behind your knees to check blood flow to lower legs. You want ankle brachial indices of 0.97-1.00 (this is the amount of blood flow to your ankles compared to your wrists; it's supposed to be more or less identical.) If it's below 0.90, you could have a circulation problem and this will also cause problems if you run.

I had a brachial index of 0.74 in my left leg and it ruined my running until I got surgery. I had too much muscle and it was comprimising the popliteal artery. Amazingly, the surgery on one leg also corrected a minor flow problem in my right leg. A lot of cyclists have problems with shin splint-like pain if they try running. My surgeon reckons that cycling can build up the calf muscles a little too much.

Blood flow to your feet can also be compromised if you're not fitted to your bike correctly and sit askew on your saddle, especially if it's a bit high.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Not sure they are available outside of Norway, but Ulvang make all kinds of athletic wool socks in varying thicknesses.

I also like the winter wool socks from The Sockguy. They're nice here for fall and spring riding.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Are you using a toe or shoe cover? That'd be step one for me..

In the synthetic range there are options as well, lots of thicker poly socks, fleece socks are an option too. Covering more of your leg, like socks up to your calf, might help too.

Again, i'd make sure you're cutting wind into the shoe in the first place tho...my feet are on the cool side as well (although my hands are hot), and that's what works for me...i'll ride two two pairs of booties (really form-fitting Pearl Izumi on the shoe, and then Sugoi water proof booties overtop) for most of the winter here.

TRENDING THREADS