• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Some actual good journalism on LA. Go NYT.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link - well written, thoughtful story.

And Lance and Johan and the rest calling Floyd a screwball nut who needs professional help (he may be a nut that needs help indeed) does NOTHING to address the VERY SPECIFIC allegations in the emails written by Floyd.

The powers that be in cycling sem to be circling the wagons around the goose that laid the golden egg.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
_Zipp0_ said:
Thanks for the link - well written, thoughtful story.

And Lance and Johan and the rest calling Floyd a screwball nut who needs professional help (he may be a nut that needs help indeed) does NOTHING to address the VERY SPECIFIC allegations in the emails written by Floyd.

The powers that be in cycling sem to be circling the wagons around the goose that laid the golden egg.

...well what does he sound like?...accusing WADA and UCI of conspiring with a pro cycling team to obfuscate test results...oh wait...it's the same as AFLD's bungling of all the evidence in the case against him...he was still found guilty...

...he looks like a screwball nut because he's conducted himself without honesty or integrity the last four years and now he wants everyone to believe a story that has changed on many occasions...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The inclusion of Tom Weisel's involvement toward LA's expanding is important. Weisel made a fortune floating IPOs in the tech boom with his firm, Montgomery Se urities. Also the sponsor of LA's first pro team. He was said by some riders to emcourage success at all costs. It would be interesting if any of that squad would come forward and talk about Eddie B's vitamin injections...given to riders in his Weisel's Park City condo prior to LA's first Olympic trip.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Juliet Macur is back in my good graces. And kudos to Tim Reynolds for his Associated Press story that will reach a lot of people. The high point of that was that he listed former Armstrong teammates who have since been busted for doping.

I like that Bruyneel claims to have received lots of e-mails with the intent to blackmail, because he can be asked to provide those, or give up his computer if he claims to have deleted them.

I also like that some authority has already mentioned willingness to retest frozen samples. If Landis has diary notations of when he did EPO with other riders, they can target which samples to test.

A

Anonymous

Great story, very well written. This gives me hope that they will not be able to sweep this away. I want to see The Hog go down as much if not more than Armstrong. Hopefully, heads will roll...but I won't hold my breath.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I think all we should take out of what Floyd (who would not be considered credible on a witness stand in a US courtroom) said was yes US Postal/Discovery were dirty just like every team in pro cycling. The amazing thing is the only rider that was ever caught on Johan's watch was Li Fuyu earlier this year.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully people just stop doping and 2010 becomes the first year of the clean TdF. Hopefully clean TdF looks something like this years Giro.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
There are unfortunately some sloppy bits in the story.

"these claims [of PED use by LA] were not accepted during a hearing over prize money Armstrong had won from a Dallas company."

No, they were deemed irrelevant to the case. SCA had to pay if LA won, whether by fair means or foul.

"in 2005 ... the French sports daily L’Equipe came out with a story that a 1999 research test had indicated three positive results for EPO by Armstrong."

No, it was a 2005 test of 1999 samples, and there were six positives. Vecsey makes it sound like the L'Equipe report came out years after the test, which makes the report sound less credible.

These are the kinds of things I would expect the NYT to catch.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
I think all we should take out of what Floyd (who would not be considered credible on a witness stand in a US courtroom) said was yes US Postal/Discovery were dirty just like every team in pro cycling. The amazing thing is the only rider that was ever caught on Johan's watch was Li Fuyu earlier this year.
benoit joachim?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
yeah, i liked the article too. i noticed something is not right between armstrong and the nyt. he's consistently getting more spanking from them than from a california paper.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
Hopefully people just stop doping and 2010 becomes the first year of the clean TdF. Hopefully clean TdF looks something like this years Giro.

Hopefully this year's Giro looks like a clean race.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
"Good Journalism"?

Quothe the NYT: "Armstrong tested positive for corticosteroids in 1999"....

The truth:

Armstrong did indeed have a corticosteroid in his system during the 1999 TDF. IIRC, the concentration was less than ONE THOUSANDTH of the tolerance to qualify as a positive. The result was leaked to the press and the myth was borne. I emailed the author @ the NYT and his response was that he got the information from David Walsh's book. Wow, now that's a credible source.

Saying Armstrong "tested positive" for corticosteroids is like saying that a rider tested positive for caffeine because he had a few cups of coffee that day (coffee will bring you a lot closer to the standard for caffeine than 1/1000).

Is/was Lance clean? I can't say. However, let's see if someone (other than somebody selling something and/or with an axe to grind) can come up with some credible evidence and then let's call Lance a doper.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Okay. Cite a credible source for anything you just wrote and it would be interesting to consider. Cite the actual values for Lance's cortisone levels, so that we can verify it was 1/1000 of the sanctionable limits. Otherwise, your statements are not worth considering as they are full of factual errors.

John Swanson

ScienceIsCool said:
Okay. Cite a credible source for anything you just wrote and it would be interesting to consider. Cite the actual values for Lance's cortisone levels, so that we can verify it was 1/1000 of the sanctionable limits. Otherwise, your statements are not worth considering as they are full of factual errors.

John Swanson

The sources are the UCI and Phil and Paul. You judge the credibility.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
I think you miss my point, friend. :)

Well, given the UCI is pretty embarassingly implicated in protecting Lance in the Landis claims, and you are citing the UCI as a source for the cortisone test being under the limit, and given we know that Lance was able to obtain a TUE after the test failure, I could see how someone would assume the point you were trying to make is that its highly likely the test result was actually over the limit....:D

But seriously, Phil and Paul are the cycling equivalent of Chemical Ali now...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Well, given the UCI is pretty embarassingly implicated in protecting Lance in the Landis claims, and you are citing the UCI as a source for the cortisone test being under the limit, and given we know that Lance was able to obtain a TUE after the test failure, I could see how someone would assume the point you were trying to make is that its highly likely the test result was actually over the limit....:D

But seriously, Phil and Paul are the cycling equivalent of Chemical Ali now...

Uh - he was saying that the sources had no credibility. Then everyone basically said he was an idiot while furiously agreeing with him.

Amusing to watch.

TRENDING THREADS