• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Some advice, please......

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

won a few hundred quid on the lottery recently....:)....and have decided to splash out on a new bike.

Toss up between an Orbea Onix Bira, or a Pinarello FP2 105.

To be honest, I'm stuck!! Been riding my trusty Giant for the past 2 years, so maybe a bit out-of-touch with what would be best upgrade for my needs. Just joined a club as a 'veteran', and will be racing next year in that category, as well as doing 4 sportives, and a London - Paris charity run......

Any help, advice, recommendations would be welcome,

Cheers.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
First and foremost, the most important thing to do is to find which one is most comfortable for you! If one is more comfortable or neither are comfortable, then make decisions that way.

As for the bikes, you get more for your money with the Orbea. It is cheaper in the UK and is a full Carbon frame. The Fp2 is really a nice looking bike, but as cynics here might suggest, Pinarello's come at a premium. It is an Aluminum main frame with carbon rear stays. I'd suggest 105 will also suit you well. But even as someone who sells Pinarello, I'd go for the Orbea, I think they look pretty good.

As for alternatives that are looking pretty good this year...

The Cannondale Six is pretty juicy. For something more racy - perhaps a CR1?

Both are suitable for Sportives and racing.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This is my advice from a previous thread (Fuji v Cervelo):

If you can, I would recommend test riding both bikes over the usual terrain that you ride. There will be plenty of people singing the praises of both bikes, because both are very good, but ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

Also check out http://www.roadbikereview.com for cyclists' opinions, weaknesses and strengths of both bikes.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tips and the links,guys.

The problem I have is that I'm out in the sticks, so getting to a dealer to test run is a bit of a problem. However,you're spot on with this....pointless buying a bike without seeing how it fits first.

Cheers.